Winter gear block your mirrors?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Winter gear block your mirrors?

Post by fish »

Spent months trying to find a way to lengthen my 2018 Liberty150i's mirrors - which are too short when I'm wearing my winter riding gear. Extensions, fish-eye mirrors, bar ends, etc. did not suit me at all, for various reasons.

But may have found something that works. Bought a set of these 2" wide, elastic, reflective arm bands. I put two of them around my jacket's upper sleeve to compress the fabric - and with 4" band of jacket tucked in I gained back some rear vision!Image
At a bit over 6'3'' and 255 lbs, when I layer up for winter riding the rear vision is g o n e!
No more!
Thought other winter riders might be having a similar problem.

Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Winter gear block your mirrors?

Post by Mel46 »

Your Liberty already has long stems on the mirrors, if I remember correctly. Your solution is both practical and nice looking. On the PCX it is easy enough to add mirror extenders. Even so, winter riding has its own problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I wear the same gear year round, liners are fitted in the colder months and view is unaffected.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I wear the same gear year round, liners are fitted in the colder months and view is unaffected.

Liners in your Speedos?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:Your Liberty already has long stems on the mirrors, if I remember correctly. Your solution is both practical and nice looking. On the PCX it is easy enough to add mirror extenders. Even so, winter riding has its own problems.
My LIKE200i has long stemmed Italian mirrors purchased from an importer. The Liberty has typical Vespa mirrors - nice quality, good chrome, thick stalks.....and extenders are like duct tape on a tuxedo, to me. Couldn't wait to get the extenders off the Forza (used matching CB500X mirrors)
Flannel shirt, armored quilt lined leather ICON jacket, with heavy fleece lined Occu-Nomix hi-viz wind-proof highwayman's jacket.....like riding with all the canvas up.
0 rear view....but kit is good into the teens.
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:I wear the same gear year round, liners are fitted in the colder months and view is unaffected.

Liners in your Speedos?
there's plenty in my speedos no need for more.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Excellent idea! Never thought of that. :D

I've been having to lift my arm to get a "through the arm pit" view in the left mirror up until now no matter what bike or scooter I've had. Or, just turn around to look quickly. :roll:

My new Joe Rocket Atomic 5 jacket has a zip in zip out liner also but this will be the first Winter riding with it. Not sure how it will work out but I can always wear an additional sweat shirt if needed. I can see behind me in the mirrors with that OK. . .or as good as can be expected. 8)