Upgrade front brakes - best replacements

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Testerpt5
Year: 2015
Color: Black matte

Re: Upgrade front brakes - best replacements

Post by Testerpt5 »

Mel46 wrote:There seems to be a consensus that changing the pads to EBC sintered plus changing the lines to braided, plus upgrade to DOT4 fluid should help considerably. I am not good at changing brakes any more...old age has gotten to my knees...so I will check local shops to see if they can handle it on my wife's bike first. If the cost isnt too much it may solve the problem. What about the back? ...EBC shoes perhaps??
swapping brake pads is ridiculously easy, trust me I am a moron when it comes to manual laboir
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It isn't the swapping of the brake pads that gets to me. It is the swapping of the lines, new brake fluid, and bleeding the brakes that get to me. I am now up to 12 back surgeries, though the last 4 have been easy compared to the others. Plus 2 knee surgeries on the same knee makes that knee really painful on cold days.

Added all together it means that I am getting old. Crap! What happened to forever young??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Get a Bike lift? I remember seeing some that where not too expensive on the forum.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have actually considered getting a bike lift from Harbor Freight. Then we looked around our basement and wondered where we would store it. I am running out of wall space. Also, now that my wife wanted to start storing the patio furniture in the basement during the winter, it is getting a bit crowded just storing the bikes down there.

I WILL come up with a solution. I just have to think about it for a little while.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Mel, Fix an electric Block and tackle to the ceiling then? There's a pic of a pcx hanging from ceiling on the forum, that's how my (retired) mech does it.

Installed EBC disc and sintered pads yesterday - i've only done the bedding in up to now following these instructions but now i see EBC have a different ones.

I advice you to get a new disc from EBC they are cheaper than stock and almost half a kilo lighter. Your old disc might be contaminated ( at least bead sand it)

Even if not broken in at this stage there is an obvious improvement when braking from 50 mph to 8, and after doing so a couple of times it increase even further ( instead of fading more).

Looking forward to install braided lines now.
20181130_085946.jpg
20181130_085946.jpg (196.62 KiB) Viewed 872 times
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

It's been raining cats and dogs today - the sintered pads and new disc above are way better than stock in these difficult conditions and dry ones- no contest