Is it important to replace Diaphragms?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

DushFernando92
Year: 2013
Color: Pearl White

Is it important to replace Diaphragms?

Post by DushFernando92 »

I'm planning to change brake fluid today, but I can't find Diaphragms for PCX in local stores, so is that okay if I use the old one again?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Is it important to replace Diaphragms?

Post by you you »

DushFernando92 wrote:I'm planning to change brake fluid today, but I can't find Diaphragms for PCX in local stores, so is that okay if I use the old one again?

Is that in the front master cylinder? If so then yes.
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

you you wrote:
DushFernando92 wrote:I'm planning to change brake fluid today, but I can't find Diaphragms for PCX in local stores, so is that okay if I use the old one again?

Is that in the front master cylinder? If so then yes.
Yeah :( sadly I used the old one since I had no choice...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Yes, if you don't want her pregnant.If you see any swelling ..its too late.
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

easyrider wrote:Yes, if you don't want her pregnant.If you see any swelling ..its too late.
haha xD She was pregnant but more likely just about 6 months or less.. Yeah, too late already..
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I recently changed the brake caliper hence drained the front and CBS reservoirs and used original seals, diaphram and any crush washers. No issues at all.The diaphram after 4 years+ and removing a few times (issues bleeding the system) was in perfect condition and flexible, so don't worry about it.
Getting to the CBS reservoir on a 2015 model proved the hardest part as the lhs and rhs inner front panels pull off (no screws or bolts) but I broke most of the tabs off the lhs one as it's held on really tight. Had to use a syringe and tube to suck and fill the CBS reservoir and you need to remove lots more bodywork to loosen and remove the CBS reservoir for better access - not worth it.
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

iceman wrote:I recently changed the brake caliper hence drained the front and CBS reservoirs and used original seals, diaphram and any crush washers. No issues at all.The diaphram after 4 years+ and removing a few times (issues bleeding the system) was in perfect condition and flexible, so don't worry about it.
Getting to the CBS reservoir on a 2015 model proved the hardest part as the lhs and rhs inner front panels pull off (no screws or bolts) but I broke most of the tabs off the lhs one as it's held on really tight. Had to use a syringe and tube to suck and fill the CBS reservoir and you need to remove lots more bodywork to loosen and remove the CBS reservoir for better access - not worth it.
Heard somewhere else 2015 version is being a pain to take a part, gladly my 2013 or 12.. Is not that hard.. However there were already few broken tabs their already (bought a used one), so I didn't break anything new lol Changed fluid on both CBS and front, had some air, bleeded them few times, now everything looks good but I feel like front brake is not strong enough.. (replaced the pads also). I don't remember how they acted before, however I don't think it's related to the air, since I don't need to pull the brake lever to the end to make it work :S
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

DushFernando92 wrote:
iceman wrote:I recently changed the brake caliper hence drained the front and CBS reservoirs and used original seals, diaphram and any crush washers. No issues at all.The diaphram after 4 years+ and removing a few times (issues bleeding the system) was in perfect condition and flexible, so don't worry about it.
Heard somewhere else 2015 version is being a pain to take a part, gladly my 2013 or 12.. Is not that hard.. However there were already few broken tabs their already (bought a used one), so I didn't break anything new lol Changed fluid on both CBS and front, had some air, bleeded them few times, now everything looks good but I feel like front brake is not strong enough.. (replaced the pads also). I don't remember how they acted before, however I don't think it's related to the air, since I don't need to pull the brake lever to the end to make it work :S
Mine were like that, so after bleeding several times the traditional way, I drained the front (could not be bothered to take the broken inner panels for the CBS off again!) and reverse bled the front brake system pushing fluid in with a syringe and sucking fluid out of the top reservoir and that much improved things.
Many argue reverse bleed is not needed, but others also say it works much better as air wants to go up and you are pushing fluid and air up this way. It does seem preferable after a complete drain whether you just bleed the brakes dry or change or remove the caliper for cleaning.
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

iceman wrote:Mine were like that, so after bleeding several times the traditional way, I drained the front (could not be bothered to take the broken inner panels for the CBS off again!) and reverse bled the front brake system pushing fluid in with a syringe and sucking fluid out of the top reservoir and that much improved things.
Many argue reverse bleed is not needed, but others also say it works much better as air wants to go up and you are pushing fluid and air up this way. It does seem preferable after a complete drain whether you just bleed the brakes dry or change or remove the caliper for cleaning.
Eh? I never knew about that, never heard before either.. I saw there were some stain on one of my brake caliper, I couldn't clean them since I don't have required type of grease or tools :(