New helmet and jacket

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

New helmet and jacket

Post by Eiron »

My hand is finally getting back to the point where I can ride again, so I've repaired all of the damaged bits on the scoot and given it a tune-up (plug re-gap and valve adjustment). I've also got my new helmet and riding jacket (but still need to find riding pants that can fit over jeans and don't cost a freakin' mint).

The helmet is Bell's Qualifier Blaze in hi-viz yellow, only $110 from Revzilla. It's got better ventilation than my old Bell Zephyr, so it stays cooler than the white Zephyr (which always felt like wearing a Crock-Pot on my head in Summer). It also carries the "better" Euro ECE 22.05 crash approval rating and fits a bit better due to the change in shape to "intermediate oval". The only drawback is that the shape makes the Blaze a bit bigger than the Zephyr, so it doesn't fit as well under the seat; it requires a significant deflection/bending of the seat to latch it closed. The same applies to fitting it into the Shad 39 liter top box and getting my unpadded leather jacket stuffed in as well. It all barely fits, and I now have to relocate my gloves and glasses into the inside of the helmet where I didn't before.

The jacket is FirstGear's Rush Tex in hi-viz yellow, only $114 from Amazon. This jacket is a bit more weather-resistant than FirstGear's similar Mesh Tex jacket, with a tighter outer fabric and a thin nylon inner liner. It has front and rear zip vents that flow air between the two layers but not directly to the rider. The fit is very generous! At 5'9" & 185 lbs, I normally fit a large without much room to spare, but this one is loose enough that I'll have no trouble fitting a bulky sweater or sweatshirt underneath. It comes with all five pads, and the elbow and shoulder pads can be repositioned thanks to the extra-large Velcro patches. I expect this to be a great jacket from Fall to Spring, but I won't know if it will be cool enough for the 100+F temps in Summer until next year. I might still end up with a Mesh Tex for Summer riding if I can find one on sale this Winter.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: New helmet and jacket

Post by fish »

Good looking pair - now replace the 5 pads with some D30 pads and you'll be all set.
What you saved on the jacket - now spend on the pads.

Fish
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Don't know if these are above the budget, but I got a pair for the Admiral and she loved them so much she badgered me into getting a pair: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe ... -ion-pants

I got black XL for my normal 36 pant size, and they are almost big. BUT... I can put them over jeans if I want. Over underwear, they are actually pretty cool and comfortable at 85 F. Protection seems pretty good, buy I have not gotten to test that feature yet.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The info for the jacket says it weighs 16lbs - got to be wrong?
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

fish wrote:Good looking pair - now replace the 5 pads with some D30 pads and you'll be all set.
What you saved on the jacket - now spend on the pads.
One of the "selling points" was that the back pad can be drop-in upgraded to the D3O Viper pad. :D
Watching videos about D3O it reminds me almost exactly of Sorbothane. I don't know how relevant the demonstrations of the polymer in a thixotropic state are, but it's fun to watch!
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

GeorgeSK wrote:Don't know if these are above the budget, but I got a pair for the Admiral and she loved them so much she badgered me into getting a pair: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe ... -ion-pants

I got black XL for my normal 36 pant size, and they are almost big. BUT... I can put them over jeans if I want. Over underwear, they are actually pretty cool and comfortable at 85 F. Protection seems pretty good, buy I have not gotten to test that feature yet.
Thanks GeorgeSK, I'll add these to my short list of possibilities.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

iceman wrote:The info for the jacket says it weighs 16lbs - got to be wrong?
LOL, yeah, I noticed that when I bought it! o_O Yes, it's definitely a typo. The jacket is maybe 6 lbs? :lol:
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Good to hear you're back on the bike.. just in time for winter! lol

I picked up a pair of Scorpion riding jeans, I wear them to work all the time and have even gotten a few compliments. Pretty comfy, can be warm.

If we get a good weekend soon, maybe the fiancee and I can ride up and we can go find some fun roads!
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Don't know if these are above the budget, but I got a pair for the Admiral and she loved them so much she badgered me into getting a pair: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe ... -ion-pants
Duly noted on the Joe Rocket pants . . ..

I'm satisfied with the Atomic 5 Jacket I bought so far. Good workmanship and they were generous with the Hi Viz Yellow material. 8)
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Cube wrote:If we get a good weekend soon, maybe the fiancee and I can ride up and we can go find some fun roads!
Sounds good! :D I still haven't made it up to Estes on the scoot!
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

We have a "Gear" section?? o_O :lol:
My shortcut takes me directly to the PCX Forum, so I've never seen this area! :oops:
Thanks for the move :D
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Finally got a chance to give the helmet-&-jacket combo a ride. It was sunny and around 72°F. Under the jacket I had a long sleeve shirt with a t-shirt under that.

The first thing I noticed was the hi-viz reflection on the instrument panel and chrome! It's very glow-y!! o_O

With all of the zipper vents open, I could feel the air moving thru the jacket while I was riding. It was cool enough to be comfortable in the sun at this temperature. The helmet flows air a little better than the jacket, and I never needed to crack the visor when stopped in traffic. I think this combo should work well up to maybe 80°F with just a t-shirt or short sleeve shirt underneath. Hotter than that and I'll probably want a mesh/air jacket.

On the way home it was cooler, about 62°F. I left all of the vents open on the jacket and was perfectly comfortable, but since I have no hair I could've closed the upper helmet vents. :lol: It was still fine and I wasn't uncomfortable at all.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Another ride, this time in wider extremes. It was 78F and sunny when I left the house, so I only wore a t-shirt under the jacket. The venting (for both pieces) was good and kept me comfortable. The ride home was 60F and my bare arms got a bit chilled inside the jacket (I left all of the jacket vents open), but with the helmet vents closed my head stayed warm this time. :D

I've also added these padded gloves. I like the foam padded backs with TPU pads covering the fingers, knuckles, back, and wrist. I also like the color, as I think having "red flags" at the front of the bike is a good thing. Of course, the palms are grippy-and-durable synthetic suede, and the thumb and 1st two finger tips are rubber coated for good switch control. They're not very warm though, and my hands (especially my broken hand) got cold on the ride home.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Sounds like you're definitely "geared up" to ride! :D

I think you are on the right track about the red glove color. :geek:

FWIW I've got a couple of pair of yellow gloves. . .one synthetic. . .one leather. . .in addition to my regular black leather riding gloves for various seasons. I've used the black gloves for years but never thought about wearing gloves that were much more visible for hand signals until recently.

They don't glow and night but at least during the day, when I do most of my riding, I think it's easier for other drivers to see my hand signals. I consider it a good habit to use hand signals along with the regular turn indicators as an added measure of safety. . .especially at intersections with awkward angles where the other driver(s) may not see my turn signal lamps flashing. 8)
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

I'm almost all geared up! I've got two pairs of riding pants arriving soon. One is padded overpants to go over jeans, and the other is padded mesh pants to go over shorts. I'll review those in a "new pants" post. I also bought a pair of Kevlar-&-Cordura dirt racing pants, but they're unpadded so I might just throw 'em up on craigslist.

I agree about glove color. My cold weather gloves are black, which helps absorb sun warmth, but since my accident I'm moving visibility higher up on my list. :geek:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Eiron wrote:I'm almost all geared up! I've got two pairs of riding pants arriving soon. One is padded overpants to go over jeans, and the other is padded mesh pants to go over shorts. I'll review those in a "new pants" post. I also bought a pair of Kevlar-&-Cordura dirt racing pants, but they're unpadded so I might just throw 'em up on craigslist.

I agree about glove color. My cold weather gloves are black, which helps absorb sun warmth, but since my accident I'm moving visibility higher up on my list. :geek:

I’m using the car.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

you you wrote:I’m using the car.
Attachments
youyoudrives.jpg
youyoudrives.jpg (131.28 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

:lol: :lol: very good
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Not too old to ride.jpg
Not too old to ride.jpg (179.57 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Who needs a jacket?? I have been riding for years now without one...and they keep trying to tell me I'm too old to ride now!! Huh!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Who needs a jacket?? I have been riding for years now without one...and they keep trying to tell me I am too old to ride now!! Huh!
Good one Mel!

Thanks for clearing that up. . .. :lol: