Should I Replace Stock Tires Early?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Denny
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2021
Color: Black

Should I Replace Stock Tires Early?

Post by Denny »

So I just got my PXC in the summer. Up here in the PNW we're starting to get into the rainy season (Oct-June). So I've noticed the stock tires are pretty slippery in the rain. It has a lot less grip compared to my last scoot (2010 Honda Elite 110) with stock tires.
I've read on a few posts about Michelin City Grip tires being the preferred replacement choice for the pcx. My scoot with the stock tires has only 1500 miles on it, but I'm contemplating replacing them way early for safety if it's worth it. My questions are for those who have experience with aftermarket tires compared to the stock ones.
1) What tires are you using and how much did they set you back?
2) Do they have noticeably better grip in the rain?
3) Do you recommend spending the extra $ for early tire replacement for riding in wet weather 75% of the time?
Thanks for sharing.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: Should I Replace Stock Tires Early?

Post by alx123 »

I used up my stock IRC tires till it's 24,000 kms. I'm ride in Thailand where it rains a lot.
I am now using a Michelin Pilot street, which in my opinion way miles better than the stock IRC.
Stock IRC tires really need to be broken in to at least offer some better grip, maybe around 3000 miles.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I am using Pirelli Diablo and love them. Road feel and a sporty feel are its top attributes. If you're looking for rainy type tires I have read the City Grips can't be beat.
:geek:
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Road on stock IRC tyres for 15,000 miles all year round through all weathers including slush and wet / water-logged roads and mild snow fall. Only changed the rear to MCG due to the rear tyre nearing end of life - like you you stated, not really noticed any difference in 6+ months using the MCG (still IRC original on the front).
Many others hate the IRC's and love the MCG's - each to their own, but you really cannot go wrong with any leading brand rear tyre that is suited to the PCX - all are more than good enough for what they are designed for - otherwise they would not pass stringent tests and being legal to be sold.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mic ... oter-tires

We found that Revzilla has the best prices on tires, and shipping is usually free.

Changing tires is a personal thing. My wife and I found the Michelin City Grips to be better for our riding circumstances, especially cornering, so we switched shortly after buying the bikes. Others feel that the IRCs that come on the bike are fine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Denny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Denny »

Sorry for the repeat, I didn't think the first went through.
Thanks for the feedback. I also gotta call the shop to see how much they charge for the install. That might be another $20-40 I have no idea? I've been spending lots of $ on the scoot lately, but since it rains so much here and people notice the grip improvement I'll probably get them. I'm a new rider and anything that can really improve safety is worth it (that'll be my pitch to the wife too).
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

South Bounda Honda and Seattle Cycle Center are the 2 cheapest around Seattle Puget Sound area. Thats only if you buy the tires from them. If not you will pay more for the installation.
Denny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Denny »

Thanks 87112, I didn’t think about that option. I just put in my price match request on Revzilla to match Bikebandit, thay had the set for about $14 cheaper. Seattle’s a bit out of the way for me, there’s a couple of local shops here I will have to see if buying through them will save me more $. You know how wet the roads are here from Oct-Jun. I don’t know how good the stock Forza tires are, but once I rode in the rain with my PCX things got really dicey!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Denny wrote:Sorry for the repeat, I didn't think the first went through.
No problem ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013

Post by honkerman »

It really comes down to your preference. If you don't like the way the tires feel in the rain, it's not a very expensive thing to fix. tires for the PCX only run about 50 bucks a piece, plus mounting and balancing.

If you're not comfortable riding in the rain with the tires you have now, don't wait until you're uncomfortable after crashing in the rain.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

honkerman wrote:It really comes down to your preference. If you don't like the way the tires feel in the rain, it's not a very expensive thing to fix. tires for the PCX only run about 50 bucks a piece, plus mounting and balancing.

If you're not comfortable riding in the rain with the tires you have now, don't wait until you're uncomfortable after crashing in the rain.
Ditto

Iv'e used up mine for two years because I don't feel that's it's really bad on wet roads, plus I ride deliberately slow during wet conditions.

But it's a cheap upgrade if your'e not really confident about the stock tires. Safety should be priority
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Pearl white

Post by WhiteJLY »

I've clocked 1,000 km on the stock IRC tyres (for version 4 PCX). Found them to be acceptable quality and for safety. I've read around, and found the same conclussion as said by many, that IRC tyres are dangerous in the rain.

I went to a garage that many PCX went to, and the garage advised me not to change tyres because these IRC tyres for version 4 PCX are good. They have tested it.

Through my own search, I discover that for version4, IRC tyres produces new models because of new sizing. May be they took the opportunity to improve the quality as well.
WhiteJLY
2018 Pearl White V4 PCX, 149cc
Malaysia
Denny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Denny »

I’ve only rode a couple of times in the rain (it’s coming very soon tho), and I’m comparing the grip to my old scoot. I’m sure I’d get better and more confident at riding on wet roads with more time. But as some had said, I don’t wanna find out the hard way by crashing!
But man was I underestimating the prices of shops to remove wheels, replace tires, and re-install wheels. The two local shops here quoted me about $160 if I have them remove both my old tires, replace with new ones, and re-install onto my scoot. Or $80 if I remove both wheels (with my old tires) and bring them in with my new tires and have them replace them. Then I’ll have to install the wheels (with the new tires) onto my scoot.
I just read a post from Smaug in 2017 and watched some YouTube vids about tire removal.
I’m gonna save some $, remove my wheels, and bring them in with the new tires for them to replace. Then I’ll reinstall the wheels with the MCG tires.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I’ve only rode a couple of times in the rain (it’s coming very soon tho), and I’m comparing the grip to my old scoot.
Compared with your old scoot, what kind of additional slip / sliding did you experience with the PCX tires? Was it with straight line stopping or while turning or both or ?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Denny wrote:I’ve only rode a couple of times in the rain (it’s coming very soon tho), and I’m comparing the grip to my old scoot. I’m sure I’d get better and more confident at riding on wet roads with more time. But as some had said, I don’t wanna find out the hard way by crashing!
But man was I underestimating the prices of shops to remove wheels, replace tires, and re-install wheels. The two local shops here quoted me about $160 if I have them remove both my old tires, replace with new ones, and re-install onto my scoot. Or $80 if I remove both wheels (with my old tires) and bring them in with my new tires and have them replace them. Then I’ll have to install the wheels (with the new tires) onto my scoot.
I just read a post from Smaug in 2017 and watched some YouTube vids about tire removal.
I’m gonna save some $, remove my wheels, and bring them in with the new tires for them to replace. Then I’ll reinstall the wheels with the MCG tires.

After riding twice and getting to this point it sounds like it's not the tyres in the rain that is the issue.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

you you wrote:
Denny wrote:I’ve only rode a couple of times in the rain (it’s coming very soon tho), and I’m comparing the grip to my old scoot. I’m sure I’d get better and more confident at riding on wet roads with more time. But as some had said, I don’t wanna find out the hard way by crashing!
After riding twice and getting to this point it sounds like it's not the tyres in the rain that is the issue.
People may blame IRC tyres for all ills, yet many crash when using other tyres - I'm sure if they had IRC's on at the time they would blame those. Honda would have been facing many legal issues if it supplied tyres not fit for purpose.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

If $160 includes the price of the tires as well as the labor, I would consider it a good deal. Yes - it is a fair bit of cash, but how much is your time and angst worth?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I changed my lousy kendas on a Kymco after 400 miles for all weather work commuting. Bought a set of City Grips. Still have the orig. front on at 14,000 miles. Replaced the rear at 12,500.
Great tires in the wet.
Philippine veteran kenda riders urged me to shuck them if I was going to ride in the wet in night city traffic.
Fish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

Irc tires are not that bad. When I had a CBR250 it came with IRCs and I had no issues. Perhaps you can just replace the front with City Grips to start and see how it goes with any improvement.
Denny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Denny »

On those wet rides, it was a little slippery when I would turn from a stop. And one straight 6’ stretch felt like riding through a small patch of black ice. I’m sounding like a B and writing/describing the situation sounds like I’m exaggerating the conditions. All I know is that on my Honda elite (I bought 1/27/18) that I rode in the rain like 80% of the time, I’d never felt the little slipping of the PCX.

The $160 was the OTD total, for the labor, tire disposal fees ($6), tax! It’s about half or a little less if I bring in my wheels and new tires. I already ordered a set of MCG from Revzilla for $103 (they price matched bike bandit) and looking forward to installing them. Since I’m working lots of O.T. and been fully committed to commuting on my scooter for work. I see this as being a logically safe and inexpensive (when I bring in my wheels and tires) purchase, I’d rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for all the feedback guys.