Headlight modulator.

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

skrusich
Year: 2017
Color: Pearl White

Headlight modulator.

Post by skrusich »

I am searching for a headlight modulator for the LED headlights on my 2017. So far I am not finding anything...any help would be much appreciated.

I have had headlight modulators on all my prior cycles and and scooters...I don’t feel safe without it.

Thanks
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Headlight modulator.

Post by easyrider »

I have one on my FORZA.. Best thing to have it really does get their attention.. I think they make them for led ..I'll look around.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Check with this company.. give them your particular details and they can most likely find it or make it.

http://signaldynamics.com/
skrusich

Post by skrusich »

Just called Signal Dynamics....they do not have a modulator for an LED system but say they are working on it. And they have no ‘work around’ suggestions other than mounting separate driving lights and with modulator installed. They are keeping an email list of interested customers.

The problem they say is that regular bulbs do not actually turn off when modulated. LED’s actually turn off/on when modulated which is illegal.

Bad news for me....
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

And the problem with their "solution" is any running or fog light worth it's weight in salt is an LED. I bought the signal dynamics module and a set of LED running lights for my new Xmax just to see what it looked like. On the bench, it just shuts the lights on and off and that's not what I wanted. I returned the module and went ahead and mounted the LEDs with yellow filters so that there is some contrast to the headlight. A lot of people here also have mounted lower Kawell LEDs to just add more front visibility.

My xmax without yellow lenses:
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I just purchased a set of these. I have not tried them yet, but It seems to me that they should do what you want. I plan on connecting them to my small strobe lights because they have stopped strobing...either that or they no longer work, in which case I have other LED lights that should work with them.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... e/196/846/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

When you go to that link you will find that they have a few strobe control modules, and they are not that expensive, so you could just try one to see what happens. I noticed on the particular one I pointed out that it has the same description ON THE MODULE IN THE PICTURE as their LSC-100A (the picture should show LSC-100B) . The 2nd picture has the correct description on the module and should look like this:
led-car-bulb-strobe-light-lsc-100b-1.jpg
led-car-bulb-strobe-light-lsc-100b-1.jpg (25.74 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
They have some nice little products. I don't know about their quality, but they are cheap. I have a few of their items on my bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Any additional lighting is always a good idea, but I have yet to find anything more effective than a headlight modulator. They do a fantastic job on getting ones attention . They only go from dim to bright .. as stated above LED lights might flash on and off. Anything in the strobe family should work equally as well providing that are aimed properly and have the adequate intensity.
skrusich

Post by skrusich »

Great idea...THANKS...that superbrightled module will work....the only problem will be the bright headlight setting will always modulate...even at night...so is essence, you will have lost the use of your high beam.

In my opinion, that is a reasonable price to pay for daytime riding safety.

Many thanks...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

The headlight module has a solar light sensor that turns off the modulator at dusk.. Therefore it defaults to normal high and low beams w/o modulation. They only modulate in daylight.
skrusich

Post by skrusich »

Not the superbrightled module....it’s just a fulltime strobe module. I cannot find a headlght modulator with photosensor that will work on the 2017 headlight system.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

So you want to ride along with flashing front lights? Why?

Won't that piss off everyone you come across?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Looking at this strobe controller, it looks like, unlike a modulator, it may only be connected to the low beam, and instead of flashing between the high and low beams it may just strobe your low beam. Real headlight modulators cost around $75. It may be better to improvise.

It may be to your benefit to add LED accessory lights and stobe those instead.

Here is another controller that may do the same but will give you more control.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 1082/2573/

and another type:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 05EALw_wcB
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

skrusich

Post by skrusich »

To Mel46..I talked to a tech...if will provide a fixed strobe cycle if I cut my blue high beam wire and splice it in. It will strobe whenever whenever high beam is on...day or night so it eliminates the high use at night for obvious reasons. I like the one alternative you suggested that allows me to set the strobe interval.

I would prefer the traditional modulator with photosensor but apparently none are available....adding a set of added lights to strobe is a less appealing idea to me.

To you you, pissing somebody off means they see me...imho, small price to pay for my safety. I have used modulators for over 20 years...occasionally somebody tells me my lights are faulty, very infrequently someone pulls off to the shoulder. But again, knowing fatal motorcycle accident research, I am seen so I know I am safer.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

skrusich wrote:To Mel46..I talked to a tech...if will provide a fixed strobe cycle if I cut my blue high beam wire and splice it in. It will strobe whenever whenever high beam is on...day or night so it eliminates the high use at night for obvious reasons. I like the one alternative you suggested that allows me to set the strobe interval.

I would prefer the traditional modulator with photosensor but apparently none are available....adding a set of added lights to strobe is a less appealing idea to me.

To you you, pissing somebody off means they see me...imho, small price to pay for my safety. I have used modulators for over 20 years...occasionally somebody tells me my lights are faulty, very infrequently someone pulls off to the shoulder. But again, knowing fatal motorcycle accident research, I am seen so I know I am safer.
No wonder it's dangerous to ride scooters over where you are. Self centered buggers must get run over all the time.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Being seen and high visibility is key to motorcycle safety.Why should anyone get pissed off? Maybe they need meds.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Just for everyone's benefit I decided to test the new strobe controllers on my workbench. This is what I found out.

I have 2 sets of LED light strips, one set has white lights, the other has amber. I connected 1 white strip and one amber strip to one of the strobe controllers. They strobed in sequence. I did the same thing with the other controller and the other white and amber light strips. They also strobed together.

HOWEVER:

1.) On set 1: using one controller, connect the white strip on the right front (simulated) and the amber strip on the left rear.
2.) On set 2: using the second controller, connect the second set of lights, this time white to left front and amber to right rear.
3.) Now connect the power for both controllers, through a single switch, and connect the switch to power.

What you will get is alternate strobing on both front and back.

I did this in a test and it worked. Now all I have to do is actually take my bike to the workshop and install it, maybe sometime when the weather is bad. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

skrusich

Post by skrusich »

My problem is solved...added a pair of switched, small LED lights mounted under the cowl, wired thro a Kisan headlight modulator. Sadly discovered no one makes a modulator for an ac electrical system. Works well... thanks for ALL the advice!