Ground frogs....

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Ground frogs....

Post by fish »

Not much in town....but pretty exciting out in the stix.

Not always advisable to be standing on a country road snapping pix in heavy fog...
So I didn't today...
Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Ground frogs....

Post by Old Grinner »

Oh. . .I see what you mean. o_O
PB060010a.jpg
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Pearl white

Post by WhiteJLY »

Can the Piaggio's original rearview mirror be fitted to a PCX??
WhiteJLY
2018 Pearl White V4 PCX, 149cc
Malaysia
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

WhiteJLY wrote:Can the Piaggio's original rearview mirror be fitted to a PCX??
Please post photo of a PCX mirror mount area after removing the mirror. Also, what is thread size of a PCX mirror? And, note that L mirror on a 2018 Piaggio Liberty is reversed.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Old Grinner, you have finally found Mrs. Treebeard! We wondered if he was married. Now we know.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Thanks!

And I don't know if you (or other Vets) are aware of it or not but there is a tree cutting volunteer program (called "Saluting Branches") going on across the country right now to help clear the views at cemeteries where Veterans are buried. Here's an excerpt from my local TV station WTNH today about it. Great bunch of folks pitching in for the cause!

Being a Vet yourself I'm sure you'd appreciate it. . .. ;)

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/m ... 1459176079
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, very informative. There are some smaller cemeteries in which vets are just part of the 'population'. I am not even sure anyone cuts the grass in those. Think about how many vets gave everything and are being forgotten...and then think about the Millennials who expect everything but don't want to give anything. If vets could turn over in their graves, they would be.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:Yes, very informative. There are some smaller cemeteries in which vets are just part of the 'population'. I am not even sure anyone cuts the grass in those. Think about how many vets gave everything and are being forgotten...and then think about the Millennials who expect everything but don't want to give anything. If vets could turn over in their graves, they would be.
Sorry you feel that way Mel.
I can't agree with you.
I recon the % of young louts in this generation is no different than in others.
If they are needed , they will and have served.
Young people know those headstones are there - over grown or not. I have seen them pay proper tribute numerous times.

Often the men there paid that price so that young people can go on - enjoying their lives with barely a glance back.

Veterans (and first responders) seek no recognition. Their reward is elsewhere - not the least in the hearts and memories of their comrades.
I may not be your typical veteran.
I've a few Army medals , including an infantry Combat Medic Badge awarded as a conscientious objector serving in the central highlands of Vietnam.

Fish

WWII had a MOH awarded to a C.O. medic - and a C.O. medic in Vietnam was awarded the same MOH
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have always been a conscientious objector, but there has always been a job for me in the military. During the Viet Nam war I was an x-ray tech. Then I went into the Coast Guard where I was in aviation Search and Rescue. I was not afraid of putting my life on the line. To me, the look of gratitude after we plucked them out of raging seas was more than enough.

You are correct to say that we don't look for recognition. We do what we were trained to do because we want to do it, and because we are needed.

Unfortunately, these days I see too many young people who are still at home when they are in their mid 20's because they "haven't decided what they want to do with their lives yet". Many of those have already graduated from college, that their parents paid for. Those are the ones that I am talking about.

On the other hand, I have multiple grandsons who are in the active military now, and they DO know what they want to do with their lives. You don't have to be in the military to contribute to society. You just need to make an effort. Society is not going to come to you and ask for your help if they don't even know that you exist. Sitting in your parent's basement playing video games all day is about the same as not existing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:I have always been a conscientious objector, but there has always been a job for me in the military. During the Viet Nam war I was an x-ray tech. Then I went into the Coast Guard where I was in aviation Search and Rescue. I was not afraid of putting my life on the line. To me, the look of gratitude after we plucked them out of raging seas was more than enough.

You are correct to say that we don't look for recognition. We do what we were trained to do because we want to do it, and because we are needed.

Unfortunately, these days I see too many young people who are still at home when they are in their mid 20's because they "haven't decided what they want to do with their lives yet". Many of those have already graduated from college, that their parents paid for. Those are the ones that I am talking about.

On the other hand, I have multiple grandsons who are in the active military now, and they DO know what they want to do with their lives. You don't have to be in the military to contribute to society. You just need to make an effort. Society is not going to come to you and ask for your help if they don't even know that you exist. Sitting in your parent's basement playing video games all day is about the same as not existing.
Mel, having "always been a conscientious objector" , are you saying that you held the induction status of "1A-O" from your local draft board - which is that of a declared C.O.?
1A-O's are agreeing to go into combat as a medic without a weapon.
1A-O's cannot enlist in any service, nor can they re-enlist following 2 yrs of active Army service as a C.O. - unless they drop their C.O. status.
Only the Army was set up to deal with C.O. inductees, and had a special, no weapons, basic training for them.
Only the "White Coat" program could divert a C.O. from Vietnam after C.O. basic training.

My point is, that while there were many "conscientious objectors" in the US military during the Vietnam war - only those that carried and kept the "1A-O" induction status into the Army were agreeing to go into combat without a weapon.

Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I went into the military on my 17th birthday, before I could even get a draft board status. I went into the Air Force and asked them to put me in something that had nothing to do with killing because I didn't believe it was right to kill. So they offered me either cook or medic. I chose medic.

Then after I graduated #1 from basic medical training they told me that I could specialize if I wanted to, so I chose to be an X-Ray Tech. I graduated #1 from that school as well, but then I ask to go to a base in the middle of no where. Let me tell you, West Texas has plenty of no wheres.

After I finished my time in the military I worked as an X-Ray tech in the civilian world for a while, until the economy went south. Then I decided that I wanted to go back into the military, but the Air Force recruiter said that they had met their quota for the next 6 months. I talked to him for a while and I told him that I would have liked to be more active in saving lives. That is when he suggested the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard recruiter told me that I could come in as an X-Ray Tech OR I could be a member of the aviation Search and Rescue group where I could actively use my skills. I always wanted to fly, so I went into it and went through their modified boot came with a group of other prior-service vets. I graduated #1 from the Aircraft Electrical school and had a great 8.5 years in the Coast Guard. I would hat a career, except I wanted to get a college degree. I was working so much that I didn't have time to finish my college studies. I had to get out in order to go to college full time. ...and the rest is history..
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

and the rest is history..
Thanks to you Mel and all the Vets for their service.

As I've said before I was only in for a short time due to medical issues but did get an "Honorable". ;)