Mixing different roller weights

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Mixing different roller weights

Post by alx123 »

What's the point of this?

For example, instead of using six 12 g rollers, the mechanic put three 11 g and three 13 grams. If you'll total the average it'll be actually be just 12 grams again.

Or why mix 8g and 12g, instead of just using all 10g?

Does mixing diff weights does something else?

Well maybe if you want to get at 11.5 grams, then mixing three 10g and three 13g make sense. Aside from that, mixing diff weights doesn't make sense to me.

I j ust bought a clutch holding tool on Ebay, so I" might be playing with roller weights soon. What's your thoughts on this?
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Re: Mixing different roller weights

Post by alx123 »

follow Question

does the brand of the rollers matter?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think it has more to do with what is on hand than anything else. For example, if you have a set of 11gram and a set of 13gram, but want to know what the bike feels like with 12 gram rollers, why buy the 12 gram ones if you don't like the feel in the end?

As far as brands go, I don't think it matters as long as you buy QUALITY. Some rollers are made of inferior material and won't last. I prefer to buy ones that match the variator I have installed.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

It has nothing to do with what is on hand. It has ro do wirmth a more linear raise of the rpms somewhat combining earlier start and longer gearing at top speed.
I suggest to search for a user called Bred, and read through his topic in the forza technical discussions named tuning the Forza variator or similar.
He explains the mixing weight (and also mixing rollers and sliders) theory.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

I'm not really sure if centrifugal force will take the individual weight of the rollers or the net mass of all the rollers combine when when pulling the belt. Any physics experts around here? lol

Maybe my mechanic believes like @Oyabun, because he's mixing rollers even though he has all the available roller weights in stock.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

The best info about variators, weights and clutch I found on the internet so far..

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/sho ... w-it-works
BRTID
Year: 2010
Color: Black

Post by BRTID »

I just put a mix of 12s and 13s in my 2010/11 PCX. I found that it suits my need for low/mid to high/mid range accereration needs. Due to the power band/torque available around the 30 - 60 kmh speed for overtaking. I've yet to see what it's like on uphill gradients. I'm hoping it performs well as I want to do some serious mountain riding. But in my my opinion it's sort of the equivalent of riding the clutch on a geared bike. It rev's harder but the pull is almost like having a torque band of a two-stroke for a limited amount of time when accelerating. SOunds like the motor is working harder at lower revs, but the torque is there. Feels kinda strange in a way. But good seat of the pants fun just the same.