Just swapped original belt for a malossi x-kevlar

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Testerpt5
Year: 2015
Color: Black matte

Just swapped original belt for a malossi x-kevlar

Post by Testerpt5 »

Hello,
Since money is lacking over here and doing the first major revision (24000km /14900miles), and since my bike (150cc)was toping only at 106kmh/65mph (speedometer, not gps) and already feeling the engine cutting, I decided and go for the malossi belt.
Now I managed to get to 111kmh (69mph), again speedometer not gps, with ease and withou feeling the engine cutting, due to high traffic I could not see how far it would go, but I reckon and expect it should not go much further.
While the mechanic was dissasembling the variator he showed me the variator plate was worn out but the rollers seemed fine though their weight were not checked. He also dismonted the clutch, he used air pressure to clean all the the entire system and inclosure. I was impressed with the amou t of dust and some residue within the clutch bell.
While putting in the new malossi belt, which he did not recommended doing, he recommneded using only original parts, he told me not to expect any increase in speed cause the problem was with the variator disk and probably some mass loss with the rollers. I will swap them in the following months.
Well I got the honda estimated top speed back with the belt only, hopefully it will last some good milleage.
Hope this info is usefull to some newbie like me.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Just swapped original belt for a malossi x-kevlar

Post by iceman »

It's beem mentioned here before now, that a non Honda original Kevlar belt is not a good idea - many do not seem to last as long as original Honda / Bando parts.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

An aftermarket variator and rollers will work fine, and could even give you some much needed top end, but the aftermarket belt usually ends up being a waste of money. Some have had success with it when they did a big change, such as a Big Bore Kit or aftermarket clutch assembly. These might put a stress on a standard belt. However, most of us find that the original OEM belt works fine and lasts about as long.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Testerpt5

Post by Testerpt5 »

iceman wrote:It's beem mentioned here before now, that a non Honda original Kevlar belt is not a good idea - many do not seem to last as long as original Honda / Bando parts.
True, I did read those comments, but I still wanted to try it, it was one of those things "what if".
The removed belt was, in the opinion of the mechanic, still good enough for acouple more 2k kms, but you could see the cracks beteween the "teeth" but could not see them sideways.
The variator does needs replaceme t, you can see the clear wearout with your eyes.

The mechanic told me every aftermarket variator was nothing but trouble, note the he does not sell parts so he gains or loses nothing, its up to the client to get the parts he wants and he'll replace them, only if the client doesnt know whats wrong or what to get does he orders parts.

Still going for either dr.pulleys or aftermarket Variator, not sure if Malossi or Polini.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Your top speed went back to normal because the old belt was nearing end of life- it would have been the same with OEM Honda belt ( which is cheaper BTW).
There are some good deals on J.costa EVO 3 right now, I'm quite happy with it on my 2014 Led 125.
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Pearl white

Post by WhiteJLY »

The cleaning service gave some top end to the PCX.
WhiteJLY
2018 Pearl White V4 PCX, 149cc
Malaysia
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Very veteran Kymco riders in the Philippines have warned that these Kevlar belts can do a lot of expensive damage within the CVT should they break at speed. They recommend only OEM belts.
Even your trusted scooter mechanic did not recommended using that Keblar belt.
Fish
Testerpt5

Post by Testerpt5 »

fish wrote:Very veteran Kymco riders in the Philippines have warned that these Kevlar belts can do a lot of expensive damage within the CVT should they break at speed. They recommend only OEM belts.
Even your trusted scooter mechanic did not recommended using that Keblar belt.
Fish
Actually he said it was not worth the money, but I wanted to try.
If I am not misstaken the OEM belt also uses kevlar.

On a different note I just accidently destroyed my tall givi windshield and with it lost around 6kmh. I didnt remembered how bad it was without a windshield until now.New windshield within days.