Anyone has or tried dr.Pulley variator?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Testerpt5
Year: 2015
Color: Black matte

Anyone has or tried dr.Pulley variator?

Post by Testerpt5 »

Hello, I am considering between Polini and Malossi variators, but I cannot seem to locate anywhere dr.Pulley variator reviews, as anyone tried or got one? Or even tried on other motorcycles?
Dr.pulley sliders will be used.

Goal is to get a slighter higher top end speed for the occasional highways, not interested in faster accelarations. I know I might end up being disapointed with the end results regarding top speed.

Can a new replacement stock honda belt be enough for an aftermarket variator or a reinforced belt is highly advised?

Any insight would be apreciated.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Anyone has or tried dr.Pulley variator?

Post by Mel46 »

Living in the United States where NCY parts are easily available, I have not tried other variators. However, I know that NCY is difficult to get in other countries, so I suggest that you try other types that ARE available to you. Most of the members from other countries that I have heard from on this forum have tried Maloosi. You may be one of the first to try a Dr. Pulley variator, though the sliders are quite popular.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

@Testerpt5: any news on the dr. pulley variator, did you buy and install it?

Not to hijack the thread but I just swapped the stock rollers with 13.5gr sliding rolls from Dr. Pulley and where I would previously hit the rev limiter at 106 km/h the top speed has increased to 112km/h without hitting the rev limiter. Acceleration is also much smoother in my opinion. So if you are looking for a slight increase in top speed changing the stock rollers to dr pulley sliders can already be enough without swapping variators. (do note that it seems that if you would fit a dr pulley variator the dr pulley sliders that you put in the stock variator do not seem to be the correct size for the dr pulley variator - so basically you would have to buy two sets of dr pulley sliders if you first change only the rollers and afterwards decide to also change the variator...)

As a result of this I was also looking to maybe change the variator. I know many here have good results with an NCY variator but getting an NCY variator over here is a bit of a hassle; but I can get a dr. pulley variator so I was curious if you had it installed already?

To be more precise I was looking at this Dr.Pulley Tuning Sportvario V211501. What I do find strange is this:
The V211501 fits for Honda PCX 125 and 150 whose original variomatic is equipped with the roller size 20x15. The Dr.Pulley Sport Vario needs sliding rolls in the format 21x15. These rolls are not included! High quality Dr.Pulley sliding pieces however are already included. The original fan disk is to be used.
So only one side of the variator is basically changed, I thought that with for example the NCY both sides are changed? Anyone who can share some insights on how one side alone can have a noticeable difference on performance?
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

Ok, I realize I am replying to myself but it might be useful for other people so here goes.

I decided to buy the above mentioned dr. pulley variator. It came by default with 15gr. sliders which state it should be good for good acceleration and a slightly higher top end (at least it says so on the website of dr. pulley).

What a disapointment :( . I installed the variator together with the 15gr. sliders and just because I could (had one spare lying around) I also put a new belt and took it out for a test drive: acceleration went down and I felt as if the top speed could not be reached because it wasn't going quite high in rpms (only my butt tacho here as my chinese induction based tacho is still somewhere on the road/sky or water).

So I swapped the dr pulley variator again with the stock variator, new belt was left on there (was too lazy to take it off again) and put the 13.5gr sliders in again. Top speed was now back at around 112 on the speedometer and acceleration was as it was before.

I am not done with this yet - i have ordered some 13.5gr sliders to go into this dr pulley variator (they are a different size as the one in the stock variator) and see what happens - but this will be for next weekend when I do not need the pcx for my commuting trip :).

I'll keep you updated anyhow whether it is a failure or a success :| .

To end with a positive note: at least I got to clean the housing of the cvt drive - there was some belt dust in there so a perfect time to give it a good clean. Probably makes no difference but it gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside just knowing that I did :).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I can not answer as to why, but yes on NCY drive face as well as the variator. In fact, I think the NCY drive face is a key part.

Now that you have tested the Dr. Pulley variator you might check to see if there is such a thing as a Dr. Pulley drive face. I think you are the first to try that type of variator, so let us know if you find some combination that really improves anything.

Changing your belt to a new one will almost always improve your performance, no matter what else you do, since it is a key part in your drive system. The sliders/rollers help acceleration. In many cases changing the variator AND rollers at the same time helps everything to work smoother.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
martinbrown12
Year: 2016
Color: black

Post by martinbrown12 »

Yes used that but I have sold my bike, cause of my job of towing truck driver at rite way towing NYC, I wasn't able to manage the time to ride a bike. that's why.
Testerpt5
Year: 2015
Color: Black matte

Post by Testerpt5 »

I bought the Yuminashi variator, it came with 8g rollers, they are probably too light, but overall I am quite happy with it.
The vario +Malossi belt +Givi tall windshield, I can now get to 120 kmh / 74.5Mph (GPS) although the speedometer shows 130kmh/80mph, this on a flat road.
I am waiting for a variator tool to arrive to try 13g rollers,because the only upside down is my fuel consumption is up 20%+-
150pcxer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by 150pcxer »

Ganglylamb wrote:Ok, I realize I am replying to myself but it might be useful for other people so here goes.

I decided to buy the above mentioned dr. pulley variator. It came by default with 15gr. sliders which state it should be good for good acceleration and a slightly higher top end (at least it says so on the website of dr. pulley).

What a disapointment :( . I installed the variator together with the 15gr. sliders and just because I could (had one spare lying around) I also put a new belt and took it out for a test drive: acceleration went down and I felt as if the top speed could not be reached because it wasn't going quite high in rpms (only my butt tacho here as my chinese induction based tacho is still somewhere on the road/sky or water).

So I swapped the dr pulley variator again with the stock variator, new belt was left on there (was too lazy to take it off again) and put the 13.5gr sliders in again. Top speed was now back at around 112 on the speedometer and acceleration was as it was before.

I am not done with this yet - i have ordered some 13.5gr sliders to go into this dr pulley variator (they are a different size as the one in the stock variator) and see what happens - but this will be for next weekend when I do not need the pcx for my commuting trip :).

I'll keep you updated anyhow whether it is a failure or a success :| .

To end with a positive note: at least I got to clean the housing of the cvt drive - there was some belt dust in there so a perfect time to give it a good clean. Probably makes no difference but it gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside just knowing that I did :).
Hi,

I know it's an old post, but I thought of asking you; so how did the 13.5 gram sliders go with the dr pulley variator?

Was it better than the 15 gram sliders with dr pulley variator combination?

And does anyone know from which website can we purchase authentic dr pulley stuff? Does dr pulley have an online shop or something?

Thanks.
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

It did not go well so I went back to stock variator with the other 13.5gr dr pulley sliders i had before.

The dr pulley variator came with a different boss as well, I am quite sure I installed all correctly but somehow it felt as if the belt was beeing squeezed by the variator which caused at even very low rpms (stationary) a forward movement :( and strange belt noises. Acceleration and top speed were also less then with the stock variator and dr pulley slider. So in my opinion not worth the money - I now have a very expensive, fancy, shiny paper press ;).

I buy all of the dr pulley stuff here: https://maksor-scooterparts.com/dr-pulley/ its a webshop located in the Netherlands so shipping to Belgium was not that expensive for me.