I got scared

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

I got scared

Post by davenowherejones »

I got scared yesterday and changed my rear tire. It was down to the wear bars but my adopted mother's Scottish ancestry says that it could have gone another 1000 km.

I had 15454 km on the 150/70-13 Michelin CityGrip rear tire. My previous one I went to 16121 km before it got changed.

On Sunday I went for a long ride in the rain. The worn out rear tire gave me absolutely no problems. The Forza does not have enough power to spin the tire out of control. I was a bit nervous because it was the first rain in about 3 weeks. The weight of the Forza keeps it well planted.

I went from Hope up the Fraser Canyon to Cache Creek and the over to Lillooet. I stopped in Lytton for gas. There were 8 bighorn sheep beside the gas station.

I have an interest in electric cars. I stopped at the Boston Bar charging station and talked to a guy with a Kia Soul EV. I then went to Spences Bridge where the same guy was charging his EV so we talked some more. I stopped at where I thought the Cache Creek charger was and the SAME guy was looking for it also. He must be really fast or I am really slow.

I have an appointment on Wednesday in North Vancouver to get checked for suspected Parkinson's and/or Dementia/Alzheimers. The trip is 148 * 2 = 296 km of mostly high speed highway traffic. It is not a road you want to deal with a flat tire. Although I did ride down from the Coquihalla Summit with a deflating tire once.

The cost of dealing with a flat tire would be substantially more than anything I would save by running the Michelin right down to the wires.

I had to get the rear wheel off. This takes a lot of steps on the Forza. It also takes a few steps to put it back on. I almost forgot the step of tightening the wheel nut. I did forget the step of tightening the muffler clamp. All is tight now (I hope).

I bought Go-Pro tire irons to change the tire. They have a bead breaker function which works with a bit of effort. The Web people say to use Windex as a lubricant but my dollar store variety is not very slippery. I tried Durex sex lube on the front tire. I bet it would have made life easier for the rear.

I had my steel toe boots on at the time and they got used to get the tire off and on. I guess my 180 pounds also helped. Sex lube would have been slipperier. I got the new tire on and took it down to the court owner's shop to air it up. I got way laid by one of our psychiatric cases and I have to mow her lawn now.

I like using Ride-On tire sealant in my tires as a balancer. It is made to plug small holes. The first thing you have to do is squeeze the sealant through a small hole in the squeeze bottle. The last ounce take a lot of effort to get in the tire.

I also use a TPMS which screws on to the valve stem. I never know how much air to put in. The rear tire is right beside the muffler and the tire gets quite hot. So cold temperature vs hot temperature pressure?

We have a lot of forest fires in the area and the air is getting bad again. The rain cleared the air for a while.

I don't want to work, I just want to ride my motorsickle, sorry Arlo Guthrie.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: I got scared

Post by fish »

Set PSI of tires, cold, per your owner's manual for the number of riders.
Tire pressure will increase after riding. Don't let any air out when this happens.
Under inflated tires cause poor handling, decreased MPG's and increased wear.....seriously under inflated tires, at speed, can cause the tire to come apart due to increased heat buildup.

Fish
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Scary, indeed. Have you ever checked what's left of a tire carcass' thickness with the threads
gone...

I consider mine's rear a menace with 10,000 kms of put-put-ing. Hell, wouldn't ride it to the corner
store. You BC cowboys are suicidal...euh, okay, I mean, er, BRAVE !
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The new tire has about 10 mm more rubber than the worn out one. It is a much nicer ride. Smooth!

You were right the first time. But who wants to live forever. My Doctor today just could not wrap his head around that. My adopted mother spent her last 2 years in hospitals & nursing homes. It was hell and it finally killed her.
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015/Forza 300
Color: Pearl White

Post by erisaman »

davenowherejones wrote:
I have an appointment on Wednesday in North Vancouver to get checked for suspected Parkinson's and/or Dementia/Alzheimers.
Best wishes for the outcome - from your Welsh namesake.
If you don't stand for something - you'll fall for anything.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

erisaman wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:
I have an appointment on Wednesday in North Vancouver to get checked for suspected Parkinson's and/or Dementia/Alzheimers.
The Scottish Dr McDowell in his green & blue tartan was a twit with no bedside manor. Very annoying.

369 km trip for a 5 minute consultation and basic neurology test that any first year nurse could have done.

A lot of the trip on the way in was in the rain. Some of it was in morning and afternoon rush hour at 10 kmph. It was SUNNY by the time I got to Lonsdale Quay for lunch. I was early so I looked around a lot. The parking meter said to put the parking slip on my dash. Fortunately I had some red duct tape to stick it with. I had meatballs at Ikea on the way home.

By the time I picked up milk it was dark. 12 hours for a 5 minute talk. Or 369/12=31 kmph The Forza is damn slow!
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I got scared yesterday and changed my rear tire. It was down to the wear bars but my adopted mother's Scottish ancestry says that it could have gone another 1000 km.

I had 15454 km on the 150/70-13 Michelin CityGrip rear tire. My previous one I went to 16121 km before it got changed.
Yeah. . .know what you mean. :roll:

And it's the center area of the tread that always determines whether or not it's time for it to be replaced (other than glass/nail punctures/imbedded objects like paper clips). There can still be plenty of rubber on either side of the center line of the tire but the thinnest part of the tire is like the weakest link in a chain. Once it let's go the whole thing turns to a world of crap in a hurry.

The PSI ratings for the front and rear tire sometimes run on a double standard depending upon the load or solo vs plus pillion. So if you ride solo a lot and the tire pressure is set for the heavier loads then the tire may wear out more quickly. . ..

BTW there's nothing wrong with being carefully frugal. Like giving food the sniff test before you throw it out. Expiration dates are not necessarily an exact science. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:
erisaman wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:
The Scottish Dr McDowell in his green & blue tartan was a twit with no bedside manor. Very annoying.

369 km trip for a 5 minute consultation and basic neurology test that any first year nurse could have done.

A lot of the trip on the way in was in the rain. Some of it was in morning and afternoon rush hour at 10 kmph. It was SUNNY by the time I got to Lonsdale Quay for lunch. I was early so I looked around a lot. The parking meter said to put the parking slip on my dash. Fortunately I had some red duct tape to stick it with. I had meatballs at Ikea on the way home.

By the time I picked up milk it was dark. 12 hours for a 5 minute talk. Or 369/12=31 kmph The Forza is damn slow!
I think you, me and everybody else has twigged you are different. Loveable and entertaining with a different edge. Keep it up and avoid the 400 km health checks.

Ride 400kms for your own Heath check.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Those McDowells come from a long line of healers. :lol:
P1010005a.jpg