Slider question

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

MotorMike
Year: 2016
Color: Dark Candy Red

Slider question

Post by MotorMike »

My PCX is completely stock. I’ve read many threads about changing to 13g sliders and it sounds like a good simple mod for a little more acceleration and uphill power. Is there a compromise to changing to these sliders? Will I still have the same low end torque?
Motorcycles are like women... they are fun to ride for a while but eventually you’ll want something else.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Slider question

Post by Jge64 »

Yes. You will have everything you had before, plus more. It really is a mod that needs to be done. I suggest you do the entire NCY variator , plate and rollers. See the DIY section, the kit:
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
MotorMike

Post by MotorMike »

Thanks for the info!
Is the whole kit really necessary? Some posts suggested that after first doing the sliders adding the whole kit was just a subtle improvement.
Motorcycles are like women... they are fun to ride for a while but eventually you’ll want something else.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

As I have mentioned in other threads, changing the rollers will improve your acceleration but will do nothing for top end. Changing the variator will give you more top end. Improving your top end will give you added power for inclines.

There is a continuing discussion concerning using sliders on Teflon coated NCY variators.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
MotorMike

Post by MotorMike »

Ok. Thanks for the info!
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Sliders are best. They last for ever comparing to the rollers. They do add bit more oomph but I've found that weight for weight with rollers they give same rpm response. So if people are saying drop a gram in sliders it will pep up your performance,well rollers will do the same BUT sliders do just give slightly more oomph in performance. Best performance will be at 8000-8200rpm on wot without any adverse affects.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There is no doubt that sliiders are better than rollers. The discussion comes when you install the NCY variator, which has a Teflon coating. Supposedly the sliders will remove the Teflon and possible hurt the variator performance. However, one of our members recently found the the coating rubs off anyway, which would mean that either one of those would work out well with the new variator.

I think there is still a discussion about which weight sliders work best. For rollers, 13 gram is best. For sliders it seems to be 12 grams. More to come on that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
utahusker
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by utahusker »

MotorMike wrote:Thanks for the info!
Is the whole kit really necessary? Some posts suggested that after first doing the sliders adding the whole kit was just a subtle improvement.
In my 125, the difference is very subtle between sliders on the stock variator, and the NCY setup.