ACF-50 review

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

ACF-50 review

Post by homie »

ACF-50.jpg
ACF-50.jpg (88.35 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
I wanted to give my opinion on this product. First it's marketed to protect against corrosion both preventive and existing. Safe to use on all metals, plastic, electronics, switches, whatever you need. Rain, salt spray or damp humid conditions the naturally corrosive elements of time will be stayed off. If you have the need ACF-50 will do this for you no doubt, but there's things to consider.

This is seriously going to help our friends overseas who ride all weather conditions and want a bike that looks like mine. However ACF-50 is overkill for fair weather riders like me who sponge bath and spritz a good quality liquid wax several times a year on their scooters.

Be ready for the effort ACF-50 takes to process a motorbike, it's monumental to do it right. ACF-50 would be well worth it needing only apply once or twice a year for the all weather riders.

ACF-50 is made for Aircraft and water sport vehicles. Says nothing about motorbikes that need to balance on two wheels with disc brakes so take caution. It's going to be scary slathering ACF-50 on a motorcycle. I found it impossible to keep it off places I didn't want and now I have a nicely sealed asphalt driveway that doubles as a slip and slide after using ACF-50 :roll:

Trying to state the pro's 8) One 13 ounce spray can is more than enough for any motorbike. It fans on thick like spraying motor oil. It wicks into every possible crevasse and sets up excellent to bead water and seal off moisture. Perfect for your black plastics and conditions them nicely but excess has to come off as well as be removed from glossy plastics... it's not a wax and won't behave like one.

There's no way to avoid getting ACF-50 all over everything even if you're a monk like me. You'll need to remove the excess after a few minutes of saturation. You can't go riding off all greased up in this molasses or you'll surely crash. So yes, you must rinse after some time and try to remove it from polished surfaces, brakes, tires and... the floor o_O

Here's what to expect... you'll clean your bike before you apply ACF-50, you'll clean after you apply ACF-50 and then after a hair raising ride you'll find road dirt sticking to your bike and you'll clean AGAIN o_O WHY? because its NOT an airplane OR a boat :roll:

As a fair weather rider I get on fine with liquid waxes verse the difficulty and hours of labor using ACF-50 will put me thru for the protections but I certainly wouldn't rule it out for the guy who rides all weather if he wants a pristine motorbike after every wash year after year. I believe ACF-50 would preserve a piece of baloney for a year on the beach :lol:

In conclusion my street fighter looks GREAT now but it took a lot of work and all day to process ACF-50. I won't be applying ACF-50 to my scooter unless all the skins came off. You can't get to the electrical and frame with scooter cowlings and panels so maybe wait until your valve clearance check using caution and patients applying ACF-50 to your precious.

Just my opinion, what's yours?

PS I need to do something with my driveway before the wife busts her azz... water seems to have no effect ;)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: ACF-50 review

Post by Jge64 »

used ACF on my offshore fishing boat A few years ago. It worked fine. But I found it was cheaper,easier and just as effective to use CRC 656 by the gallon.lasted as long, protected just as well. CRC is half the cost.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industries-0 ... rds=crc656
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Jge64 wrote:used ACF on my offshore fishing boat A few years ago. It worked fine. But I found it was cheaper,easier and just as effective to use CRC 656 by the gallon.lasted as long, protected just as well. CRC is half the cost.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Industries-0 ... rds=crc656
I think before these products there was only Foggers. I used to buy engine foggers for my jet boat. I wouldn't hesitate to use either of these products on marine engines. They'd keep everything under the hood literally like new and you need not ever wash it off. It would run down and out the bilge pump into the lake and then you could eat it with the fish you caught.... circle of life :D

But for land motor vehicles there is road grit, and boy it sticks to the ACF-50. I don't know how many rides and rinses it will take before that stops so be advised. Lot of work for this old man... just give me my ICE Turtle wax spray 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

This guy did a much better job of managing the overspray than me.

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Put lots of paper under the scooter/motorcycle.
I used rags, 1" & 4" paint brushes, bowl and the spray wand to apply, spread and reach every bit of metal I could get at, including under the seat pan. No issues getting it on electrical parts.
Stay away from tires, brake pads and discs, obviously. Did not apply it to chains , but wiped it on sprockets.
Smells, but cooks on hot parts and exhaust parts after a couple of rides.
I wipe off clinging road crud on places visible to me for cosmetic reasons only - aftet this first wipe down no more issues with road grime than I'd normally see. (Its now dry, and protecting)
Once a year on exhaust, side and center stands, CVT covers, engine bottoms, shocks, etc. Places exposed, vs places within and protected by scoot's bodywork.

Get it on while scoot is new ....but also does its work on older parts, too
I like it...and promote it to others.
It's your ride and your $.

Fish
Last edited by fish on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
ACF-50.jpg
I wanted to give my opinion on this product. First it's marketed to protect against corrosion both preventive and existing. Safe to use on all metals, plastic, electronics, switches, whatever you need. Rain, salt spray or damp humid conditions the naturally corrosive elements of time will be stayed off. If you have the need ACF-50 will do this for you no doubt, but there's things to consider.

This is seriously going to help our friends overseas who ride all weather conditions and want a bike that looks like mine. However ACF-50 is overkill for fair weather riders like me who sponge bath and spritz a good quality liquid wax several times a year on their scooters.

Be ready for the effort ACF-50 takes to process a motorbike, it's monumental to do it right. ACF-50 would be well worth it needing only apply once or twice a year for the all weather riders.

ACF-50 is made for Aircraft and water sport vehicles. Says nothing about motorbikes that need to balance on two wheels with disc brakes so take caution. It's going to be scary slathering ACF-50 on a motorcycle. I found it impossible to keep it off places I didn't want and now I have a nicely sealed asphalt driveway that doubles as a slip and slide after using ACF-50 :roll:

Trying to state the pro's 8) One 13 ounce spray can is more than enough for any motorbike. It fans on thick like spraying motor oil. It wicks into every possible crevasse and sets up excellent to bead water and seal off moisture. Perfect for your black plastics and conditions them nicely but excess has to come off as well as be removed from glossy plastics... it's not a wax and won't behave like one.

There's no way to avoid getting ACF-50 all over everything even if you're a monk like me. You'll need to remove the excess after a few minutes of saturation. You can't go riding off all greased up in this molasses or you'll surely crash. So yes, you must rinse after some time and try to remove it from polished surfaces, brakes, tires and... the floor o_O

Here's what to expect... you'll clean your bike before you apply ACF-50, you'll clean after you apply ACF-50 and then after a hair raising ride you'll find road dirt sticking to your bike and you'll clean AGAIN o_O WHY? because its NOT an airplane OR a boat :roll:

As a fair weather rider I get on fine with liquid waxes verse the difficulty and hours of labor using ACF-50 will put me thru for the protections but I certainly wouldn't rule it out for the guy who rides all weather if he wants a pristine motorbike after every wash year after year. I believe ACF-50 would preserve a piece of baloney for a year on the beach :lol:

In conclusion my street fighter looks GREAT now but it took a lot of work and all day to process ACF-50. I won't be applying ACF-50 to my scooter unless all the skins came off. You can't get to the electrical and frame with scooter cowlings and panels so maybe wait until your valve clearance check using caution and patients applying ACF-50 to your precious.

Just my opinion, what's yours?

PS I need to do something with my driveway before the wife busts her azz... water seems to have no effect ;)

So what did you do? Spray it all over?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Seeing the oil filter cover bolt heads and CVT cover and frame welds corroding so quickly on my new Burgman - got me interested in this stuff.
No, it was never ridden on salty roads. Always waited for rain to wash off the roads first. This stuff stopped it cold.
Fish
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:So what did you do? Spray it all over?
No, I didn't tear down the Buell so there are many places that did not get treated. I agree with Fish about doing this when a motorbike is new and then once a year or so depending on exposure if you want excellence. Ideally I should have done this as I restored the Buell.

For the PCX the valve clearance check would have given access to most the scooters underpinnings with exception to the fairing area. I would not want to get ACF-50 too close to the dash display, headlamp, turn signals or tail light assemblies not because it would hurt anything but that it might leave residue visible inside lenses and displays you couldn't reach to wipe off. Emblems, decals, badges, pinstripes might also be of concern because this might weaken adhesive products. I could lose the wheel stripe on the Honda if it does, whats your thoughts on that people?

I will say from now on for me through the course of ownership on a new or used motorbike I will keep a can of this handy using as I access or teardown for aftermarket equipment installation or replacement parts as needed. I don't see me tearing down completely a new bike to treat as a whole... maybe, depends on the bike I guess. But ACF-50 is certainly tempting and desirable to use. Just enormous work do so. As for anything with a motor under a hood... car, truck, airplane, helicopter, jet ski, engine rooms on boats etc. I would blow down and let drip dry and forget about it. It's just a little tedious for a motorbike because we tend to fall off and need to brake... but I'm a fan now 8)
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

It's really good stuff. There's a network of franchised blokes in the UK who will do an amazing job of applying it everywhere.

I've been through a couple of aerosols over the years and now have a carton of the stuff and a spray bottle.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:So what did you do? Spray it all over?
No, I didn't tear down the Buell so there are many places that did not get treated. I agree with Fish about doing this when a motorbike is new and then once a year or so depending on exposure if you want excellence. Ideally I should have done this as I restored the Buell.

For the PCX the valve clearance check would have given access to most the scooters underpinnings with exception to the fairing area. I would not want to get ACF-50 too close to the dash display, headlamp, turn signals or tail light assemblies not because it would hurt anything but that it might leave residue visible inside lenses and displays you couldn't reach to wipe off. Emblems, decals, badges, pinstripes might also be of concern because this might weaken adhesive products. I could lose the wheel stripe on the Honda if it does, whats your thoughts on that people?

I will say from now on for me through the course of ownership on a new or used motorbike I will keep a can of this handy using as I access or teardown for aftermarket equipment installation or replacement parts as needed. I don't see me tearing down completely a new bike to treat as a whole... maybe, depends on the bike I guess. But ACF-50 is certainly tempting and desirable to use. Just enormous work do so. As for anything with a motor under a hood... car, truck, airplane, helicopter, jet ski, engine rooms on boats etc. I would blow down and let drip dry and forget about it. It's just a little tedious for a motorbike because we tend to fall off and need to brake... but I'm a fan now 8)

You cant just spray the stuff from the can. It just doesn't apply well like that. Best to get a bottle and thin. Then spay if you must but brushing a thin film or a dipped rag is best.

I avoid the stained drive thing when working on cars by using puppy pads. Sounds silly but works great. Just stick a couple down. Bingo
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Puppy wee-wee pads. Wow! Great idea!
Hel-lo again Amazon :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
rossm

Post by rossm »

When I've applied it I've sprayed it into the cans cap then used a paintbrush to apply, saves it going to places I don't want it to.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Puppy wee-wee pads. Wow! Great idea!
Hel-lo again Amazon :P

It’s a marriage saver :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:This guy did a much better job of managing the overspray than me.

The guy is an idiot.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

homie, any idea how this product compares to Boeshield T-9? I've used T-9 for more than a decade on my bicycles, for everything from internal frame corrosion protection to chain lubrication.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Eiron wrote:homie, any idea how this product compares to Boeshield T-9? I've used T-9 for more than a decade on my bicycles, for everything from internal frame corrosion protection to chain lubrication.
I ordered this right away because of the product claims that seem to understand my slightly negative experience with ACF-50. After reading dozens of comments from Amazon customers on Boeing's aircraft anti-corrosion product 'boeshield-T9' the complaints are all to do with the aerosol spray cans. Multiple customers complain the aerosol can fails leaving them with worthless product. Some claim there isn't the stated ouches in the can but probably were experiencing the same issue with clogging.

Naturally I wanted the pump after reading that. Or just give me the liquid but it isn't sold in practical quantity. Either you buy 4oz pump bottles for 14usd or 1 gallon jug for 150usd. Still there is excellent review that Boeshield DOES NOT leave a sticky film to attract road grit and lasts longer (wash after wash) than all similar products. I'll know if some of these claims are true soon enough.

If Boeshield does dry completely with no sticky residue for the same protection as ACF-50 then yes it would be the superior chemical mixture in comparison to ACF-50 for the simple reasoning you wouldn't have to double handle the finishes after application other than to buff the dried waxy residue to a polished shine on glossy finishes and chrome. Keeping fingers crossed and thanks for the interesting product suggestion.

Note they still shy away from using on motorbikes... obvious liability reasons :lol: keep these products off your tires and brakes
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Be careful with tyres, yes, but there's no need to worry about a little over spray in the brake discs. It burns off in no time if you apply the brakes a few times on your first ride off. It won't contaminate the pads unless you get a lot of the stuff on them.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Boeshield is great stuff, however you want to use it for things you're not gonna have to take apart too often or even at all. Because it sets up a very waxy surface that rises to the top after you spray it. It was invented by Boeing to protect their aircraft that they used to put in storage. But you don't want to try to take apart something like a terminal block sprayed with the stuff, it's messy… And waxy…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Update on ACF-50

These products are the greatest thing you could hope for if you have white rims. OMG it makes wipe downs easier. The most affected area of the bike is my rims from the dirty streets and highways and this product makes a huge difference for removing the brake dust, exhaust residue, road grit etc.
Martin J
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Post by Martin J »

As soon as my brand new scooter arrived, I covered the tyres and brake disc with blankets then sprayed a mist of acf50 into the body cavity using a spray gun. The mist travelled along the bodywork and emerged around the steering yoke, proving good coverage from front to back. I also unplugged any multi connectors I could find and gave the contacts a squirt too. A quick spray around the front yoke underneath, a wipe with a rag wetted with acf and I can shrug off any winter corrosion. (Hopefully) :roll:
Yamaha 900 Diversion '96
Suzuki GS550E '81
Benelli TRK502 '21
Honda PCX 125 '18