Horn Mod... accessibility

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Horn Mod... accessibility

Post by homie »

For the archives and future searches here is a crude but surprisingly useful EXTRA horn modification for quicker, easier access. The existing horn will not be disabled 8)

Tools; allen wrench, cross tip screwdriver
Parts; switch, wire, connectors, heat shrink or electrical tape.
Degree of difficulty; LOW

Fashion two 8 inch long jumpers as pictured
1 jumpers.jpg
1 jumpers.jpg (80.52 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
Attach to switch in (normally open) configuration
3 switch.jpg
3 switch.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
Loosen brake lever assembly and swing it down to access two switch housing screws
2 lever.jpg
2 lever.jpg (107.98 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
Open switch box housing and remove horn jack connector. Tap horn jack connector with jumpers
4 tapping.jpg
4 tapping.jpg (74.25 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
Reconnect jack - route jumper wires with existing harness - reassemble switch box
5 connect.jpg
5 connect.jpg (65.11 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
6 assemble.jpg
6 assemble.jpg (88.97 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
CAUTION ; Pull jumper leads OVER the brake lever NOT under to avoid jumpers getting caught in lever actions
7 leeds.jpg
7 leeds.jpg (84.07 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
8 mount.jpg
8 mount.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
3m double side sticky works great (the grey stuff) to attach new switch to lever where it won't interfere with operations, but is naturally positioned for your index finger.

Now both horn switches will work so you've no excuse....blast away :lol:
Brando
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018

Re: Horn Mod... accessibility

Post by Brando »

homie wrote:For the archives and future searches here is a crude but surprisingly useful EXTRA horn modification for quicker, easier access. The existing horn will not be disabled 8)

Tools; allen wrench, cross tip screwdriver.
Parts; switch, wire, connectors, heat shrink or electrical tape.
Degree of difficulty; LOW

3m double side sticky works great (the grey stuff) to attach new switch to lever where it won't interfere with operations, but is naturally positioned for your index finger.

Now both horn switches will work so you've no excuse....blast away :lol:
Homie, THANK YOU. This is awesome. :D
Current Rides: 2018 Honda PCX 150 and 2018 KTM Duke 390
Previous Rides: KTM 690 SMR, Suzuki SV650, '79 Honda CB400 Hawk
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Brando wrote:Homie, THANK YOU. This is awesome. :D
It was fun and no harm done to wiring or cosmetics... easily reversed. I was out all evening riding and never once used the horn unintentionally so that's what I wanted to know. I'll keep it ;) but you will never see something like this on motorbikes. Like the plastic bag stuck on the back of every disposable diaper invention...too much liability. Do at your own risk, always
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Special
Color: White Edition

Post by PCX2016 »

Just did this mod last night. People around here ride with their thumb on the horn in a lot of places. Horns rule here, it is so important. Now I have easy access, thanks for this.
American in Cambodia !!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

...and long ago I tore down my bike and added an air horn, using a relay but also using the same wires and button to the original horn. The air horn works great but the button is in the same stupid place Honda put it. I like your idea better. Where can I find one of those switches? Radio Shack?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:Where can I find one of those switches? Radio Shack?
Mel Radio Shack is long out of business here but if you have one sure. Probably pay 5 times more so maybe shop like the rest of the world and get them off the net. BTW the little switch and horn mod served me well last year, stayed in place, no issues at all.

MEEP! MEEP!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WRN7FQB/re ... 18b729ac20
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

The switch they had local for about 50 cents. Some guys have some sort of mod where their horn beeps 5 times a second. Do you know how to accomplish this. However I only want this on the moded horn switch.
American in Cambodia !!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

HOW TO ADD A 5 SECOND MODULATOR TO THE HORN:

PCX2016,

if you only want that 5 second mod to work on the new switch you would have to wire it separately by connecting that switch to a modulator and then to the horn itself. Essentially, it would be a separate horn button.

Right now I have my air horn attached inline with the original horn but using the original horn's wires to run the relay for the air horn because of the current draw. If I wanted to connect a 5 second modulator of some sort, I would use it with the original horn only, and not the air horn.

To connect a modulator, one of the modulator leads would be soldered directly to the original horn. Run the other modulator wire through that new horn switch and back to the other point on the original horn (unless the modulator needed a relay. Then it is a different set up.)

Do not remove the original horn leads if you want the horn to work normally with the original horn switch as well. What you would now have is the new horn button running through the modulator and the original button not running through it, but both going to the same horn.

The hardest part of the entire mod is taking the side panel off to get to the horn. Good luck with your mod. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

oliver
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Post by oliver »

Mel46 wrote:...and long ago I tore down my bike and added an air horn, using a relay but also using the same wires and button to the original horn. The air horn works great but the button is in the same stupid place Honda put it. I like your idea better. Where can I find one of those switches? Radio Shack?
You'll be able to pick one up at Microcenter. Do check first though :) The website should have an inventory list per store.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Microcenter?? Really?? That is one of my favorite stores! Oh boy, I get to shop in the candy store! Thanks!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Not so sure about Microcenter. A search for microswitch turned up nothing. Try BGMicro.com. They have lots of oddball spare electronic stuff. For example: https://www.bgmicro.com/snap-action-swi ... 50vac.aspx

You would probably want to cover it with some tape or heat shrink tubing to weatherproof it a bit. OTOH, at a buck and a half, let it fail after a couple of years and replace it.

For PCX2016, setting up a circuit to give 5 beeps a second could probably be done with a 555 timer and a few bits of electronics, but again, weather-proofing it would be a bit trickier (http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/flashing-led.html - replace the LED with a small relay. The 555 will work with 12 volts, just not as comfortably as with the 9V as specified).
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I suspect that a standard led brake light modulator will do the same thing.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... e/195/845/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

oliver
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Post by oliver »

GeorgeSK wrote:Not so sure about Microcenter. A search for microswitch turned up nothing.
My bad - I thought something like this would do the trick
https://www.microcenter.com/product/432 ... ver-switch
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Indeed. Demonstrating that my wife is, as usual, correct - that I can't find squat.

My problem is that I know them as micro-switches. And I can't possibly be wrong - that they may be called something else, right?

Riiiiiiight...
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

some great points here...
American in Cambodia !!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

When all else fails, there is always Amazon.com
I ordered a set of the switches from them. They should be arriving today.

Meanwhile, down in my laboorittoory (basement) I have finished installing a new set of wind guards on my bike and am working on my wife's now. I love to tinker with my 'Frankenbike'......it is A-LIVE!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well Homie, I tried. I really did, but I don't have any pins small enough to fit in the slots where the present horn wires are. I even tried to stiffen the wires themselves with solder, but they just won't fit in the little holes. It is obviously a must that you have small pins.

I also found another problem. With custom adjustable brake levers plus mirror extenders, the switch will not fit where you have yours.

So, when all else fails, do it the hard way. I have found that I can tie wrap the switch directly under the mirror extender bolt and it is secure. I am probably going to run the wires along the same route as the original wires and "T" into the horn wires down under the plastic, if I can get to them without taking the whole bike apart...or maybe taking it apart. It is winter, so I have the time.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, I had an interesting development tonight. I took my cover off that has the gas cap cover attached. I could see the Honda horn. I have two additional wires going to it as is. These new wires actually go to the relay for the air horn I installed several years ago. Just FYI, it works great and both horns go off when I press the normal horn button.

So, in any case, I hooked up the new switch directly to the old horn, started the bike, pressed that new switch and got exactly nothing.c I tried every setup I could think of but it just did not have enough current to close the relay. I even tried the second switch (package of two) with thicker wires. Still nothing. After trying that switch each time, I would press the normal horn button and get the rich sound of the air horn plus that little horn Honda provided.

I even connected an LED light to the switch to make sure the switch was not bad. The light came on each time. Hmmmm.

So I have temporarily button everything back up until I can think this thing through.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Mel46 wrote:HOW TO ADD A 5 SECOND MODULATOR TO THE HORN:

PCX2016,

if you only want that 5 second mod to work on the new switch you would have to wire it separately by connecting that switch to a modulator and then to the horn itself. Essentially, it would be a separate horn button.

Right now I have my air horn attached inline with the original horn but using the original horn's wires to run the relay for the air horn because of the current draw. If I wanted to connect a 5 second modulator of some sort, I would use it with the original horn only, and not the air horn.

To connect a modulator, one of the modulator leads would be soldered directly to the original horn. Run the other modulator wire through that new horn switch and back to the other point on the original horn (unless the modulator needed a relay. Then it is a different set up.)

Do not remove the original horn leads if you want the horn to work normally with the original horn switch as well. What you would now have is the new horn button running through the modulator and the original button not running through it, but both going to the same horn.

The hardest part of the entire mod is taking the side panel off to get to the horn. Good luck with your mod. :-)
I want to add this modular; Is it actually called a modulator?
American in Cambodia !!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Here is the controller for the brake light. This should work fine. The two wires are the input into the horn side. Black is ground. Red wire on that black/red side can go from a horn button/switch with the red only side of it going to the horn...all of it inline. The horn itself will have a green ground wire, so it is the the place where the other lead connects that will be where you would connect that red wire...or an extension of that red wire, since it is so short.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... odule/195/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150