Joe Rocket Atomic 5 Jacket

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Joe Rocket Atomic 5 Jacket

Post by Old Grinner »

I just ordered one the Joe Rocket Atomic 5 performance jackets in Hi Viz/Black.

It seems to get really good reviews. . .is priced very well. . .and has armor in the shoulders, elbows, and back. The back armor is "upgradeable".

Some places I looked were sold out in my size. So I guess it's a good bet.

I've still got my old Harley Davidson leather jacket and after 20 years it continues to serve me well. That said there are times when I wish I had more protection, especially on the highways, and now I'll have it.

There's a video included with the product description here if you scroll down on their page. 8)

http://www.joerocket.com/textile-jackets/atomic-50
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: Joe Rocket Atomic 5 Jacket

Post by springer1 »

My Joe Rocket is maybe 10 yrs old, rather soiled, but is super comfortable and the removable liner makes it year around. Its not Hi Viz, and I've contemplated having some reflective Hi Viz patches sewn on the back & chest but I don't know how that would work out. I've been wearing armored pants the last several years as well. Joe Rocket is good stuff.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

springer1 - my Joe rocket jacket is also old and pre hi-vis... I got some of these to help with the visibility
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077P5Q2YC
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Cube wrote:springer1 - my Joe rocket jacket is also old and pre hi-vis... I got some of these to help with the visibility
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077P5Q2YC
Thanks ! I check them out.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Got the new jacket yesterday. :D

I ordered a 2X. It "just" fits me. Translation - I can zip it up without the liner in it and the Velcro side adjusters set about as loose as they can be.

The sleeves are perfect length though. . .. It's well made for sure.

That said they aren't designed for fat people. I never wore a 3X anything. I just ordered the usual 2X. But the Joe Rocket sizes are just not built for fat people.

I'm not returning it for a bigger size. I will use it and can use it but it's God's way of saying "It's time to lose more weight son and if you don't you will be sorry". LOL!!! :lol:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Does this Jacket have any protection for the spleen area ?? This one below seems to offer some padding for this.
https://www.amazon.com/Xelement-Tri-Tex ... TT4QT7FC6F
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Does this Jacket have any protection for the spleen area ?? This one below seems to offer some padding for this.
https://www.amazon.com/Xelement-Tri-Tex ... TT4QT7FC6F
Interesting. . .. Thanks for the info! :D

I'd have to say no. . .the JR Atomic 5 just has the armor in the back (which is upgradeable), elbows, and shoulders. It's really good quality material for the $$. I've already removed the zip out liner and will replace it when Winter comes for insulation. It's a good incentive to shake a few pounds too. :lol:

Long story short I looked at what I've been riding with for protection over the years and decided to take a step in a new direction due to the way traffic is getting crazy lately. FF helmets and leather gloves and leather jacket and pants are OK but I wanted to take it up a notch. So although not perfect I'm a bit more prepared than I was before. Plus my new SYMax III gives me the FF protection with open face comfort when getting gas or taking a break.

Did you see the black bear in the news at the shopping center that tried to walk into a liquor store? What the hey? Black bears are turning up all over CT now. . .used to just worry about deer or moose. Here's the story on local Fox News https://fox61.com/2018/08/13/watch-bear ... n-bristol/

Having that spleen or chest protection you mentioned would be helpful if thrown into a belly flop on asphalt though. It's something I'll keep in mind moving forward. 8)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Interesting,bears ,coyotes,and other wildlife are more and more coming into human habitats more .Mainly because their territories are shrinking as our population increases and we consume more of their territory.I like spleen protection for a windshield strike or handlebar strike with the chest / belly area.I think padding in this critical area is often overlooked even though spleens are often lacerated in motorcyvle accidents.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Interesting,bears ,coyotes,and other wildlife are more and more coming into human habitats more .Mainly because their territories are shrinking as our population increases and we consume more of their territory.I like spleen protection for a windshield strike or handlebar strike with the chest / belly area.I think padding in this critical area is often overlooked even though spleens are often lacerated in motorcyvle accidents.

Mine is OK. It’s pickled.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

you you wrote:
easyrider wrote:Interesting,bears ,coyotes,and other wildlife are more and more coming into human habitats more .Mainly because their territories are shrinking as our population increases and we consume more of their territory.I like spleen protection for a windshield strike or handlebar strike with the chest / belly area.I think padding in this critical area is often overlooked even though spleens are often lacerated in motorcyvle accidents.

Not !! You mean your liver ?? LOL :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:
you you wrote:

Not !! You mean your liver ?? LOL :lol:

Everything really

Hic
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Everything really

Hic
Life is short. . .pour a good tall one! (it's my weekend post ride regimen to restore wellness and good health ;) ) :lol:

It's a generational thing! :D