OBD2 on Honda PCX that works!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MadSteamer
Year: 2017
Color: Gray

OBD2 on Honda PCX that works!

Post by MadSteamer »

Hi there,
I thought that I share my latest discovery on connecting cheap Bluetooth OBD2 reader to the PCX. All you need is:
-cable from here
https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Honda-4pin-OBD2-Adaptor

-Generic Bluetooth OBD2 transmiter/reader
-Torque app
You plug the cable to PCX red service port next to the battery and that's it.
You can read all the data available without expensive gauges.

Thx!
Attachments
rsz_img_20180727_172817.jpg
rsz_img_20180727_172817.jpg (180.13 KiB) Viewed 12891 times
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: OBD2 on Honda PCX that works!

Post by vamootsman »

What does it do and what will it tell me? I’m not familiar with it all so pardon the newb questions.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
MadSteamer
Color: Gray

Post by MadSteamer »

It gives you real time info about things like coolant temperature, rpm etc. Watch this to find out how it all look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQAYEo_J5TQ
Another thing is that you can see fault codes with description. You can even clear any faults if yore're naughty ;)
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

vamootsman wrote:What does it do and what will it tell me? I’m not familiar with it all so pardon the newb questions.
The OBD2 is the interface with the R2D2 and C3PO accessories. :lol: :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I use a similar program with a Navport cable to diagnose the Buell. Extremely helpful if you have any issues with electrical or just total peace of mind. I need that little gizmo please hook me up to where is best price in US if you know.
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

These are all over eBay and Amazon, it's not a huge secret. See if you can find them mentioned on other forums as working great, the best thing since sliced bread. (I haven't seen that...yet.)
Martin J
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Post by Martin J »

So that's what the plug next to the battery is for! :-)
Yamaha 900 Diversion '96
Suzuki GS550E '81
Benelli TRK502 '21
Honda PCX 125 '18
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

This is pretty legit! I've got a couple bluetooth scanners already, so for $20 or so I can find out my RPM for variator tuning without having to buy a "useless" tach that only serves one purpose.

Seems odd that there's no US seller with this "Honda 4 pin" to OBD2 adapter, tho....
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

grndslm wrote:This is pretty legit! I've got a couple bluetooth scanners already, so for $20 or so I can find out my RPM for variator tuning without having to buy a "useless" tach that only serves one purpose.

Seems odd that there's no US seller with this "Honda 4 pin" to OBD2 adapter, tho....
Exactly the reason I bought one of these adapters of lonelec after reading this thread. I ordered them (from the link provided in this thread) and got it delivered a couple of days later. Now I am just waiting for the obd2 bluetooth transmitter. Once I have the obd2 bluetooth module I can finally see how these 13.5 dr pulley sliders affect rpm compared to the stock 15gr rollers. My butt tachometer is not calibrated but I have a strong feeling with slightly heavier dr pulley sliders it will run better - the rpm's will tell.
kevkev45
Year: 2018
Color: Silver

Post by kevkev45 »

does anyone know what is the wiring diagram for this? I cant ship items here in my place. i will just DIY it. I have a obd2 bluetooth already... i need the 4 pin obd2 connector to 16pin. thank you !
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

I imagine there is a small microprocessor in the 4 to 16 pin connector, probably the signals are somehow serialized and/or multiplexed so unless you know exactly what order of bytes (i.e. low and high signals) etc. are coming out and how they should be translated into multiple channels it's a lost cause.
Seeing as a lot of data (rpms, MAP sensor, ...) should be available through these 2 pins (the other 2 will be for power I imagine) there is definitely more going on than simply a "wiring diagram" - unless you count the µprocessor as wiring as well :). Takes me back to the time when we made a simple µprocessor in uni from basic logical units on a breadboard - too many wires to debug when something was wrong :).
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ganglylamb »

@MadSteamer: I hope you are still lurking around on this forum; anyhow here goes.

I finally got my obd2 adapter, got the torque app but nothing is being read. I can connect to the adapter using my smartphone bluetooth connection (paired successfully with the device).
Exactly what type of adapter do you use? I bought a cheap one off Ebay - it goes through all the connection protocols present in the torque app but nothing seems to work.
Additionally I downloaded some other apps which say they can communicate with obd2; I gave up trying when one of the apps shut down the bike's engine while it was running upon closing the app. Luckily no harm is done as it still runs ok as before; but let this be a heads up for other people; if you do not know exactly what the app is doing it could very well ruin your ecu I imagine (as you have no idea if it is writing some crazy things to the ecu).

I am tempted to buy another obd2 adapter - this time a more expensive one and hopefully a genuine one, but I would like some confirmation before I spend more money on this...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ganglylamb wrote:@MadSteamer: I hope you are still lurking around on this forum; anyhow here goes.

I finally got my obd2 adapter, got the torque app but nothing is being read. I can connect to the adapter using my smartphone bluetooth connection (paired successfully with the device).
Exactly what type of adapter do you use? I bought a cheap one off Ebay - it goes through all the connection protocols present in the torque app but nothing seems to work.
Additionally I downloaded some other apps which say they can communicate with obd2; I gave up trying when one of the apps shut down the bike's engine while it was running upon closing the app. Luckily no harm is done as it still runs ok as before; but let this be a heads up for other people; if you do not know exactly what the app is doing it could very well ruin your ecu I imagine (as you have no idea if it is writing some crazy things to the ecu).

I am tempted to buy another obd2 adapter - this time a more expensive one and hopefully a genuine one, but I would like some confirmation before I spend more money on this...
My experience is that even a cheap one works perfectly. Unless it’s a dud. Try it in another vehicle?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

If it's an OBD connection then it should be to the OBD standard, so as you you states, may be a dud.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Hi MadSteamer, could you please give me a link to your generic Bluetooth OBD reader, assuming you bought it online. I just got mine but it appears to be a dud.. I tried it on another vehicle other than my PCX and got the same result, so I don't think my 4-pin adapter by Kitaco is the problem.
Attachments
IMG_20190214_103832.jpg
IMG_20190214_103832.jpg (161.16 KiB) Viewed 12168 times
Screenshot_20190214-110109_Car_Scanner.png
Screenshot_20190214-110109_Car_Scanner.png (62.19 KiB) Viewed 12168 times
Screenshot_20190214-124155_Obd_Arny.png
Screenshot_20190214-124155_Obd_Arny.png (311.92 KiB) Viewed 12168 times
Screenshot_20190214-123147_ELM327_Identifier.png
Screenshot_20190214-123147_ELM327_Identifier.png (346.57 KiB) Viewed 12168 times
ImageImageImage
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

raito, I was about to suggest that you try sending MadSteamer a private message. Then spotted that he only has 8 posts on our forums (members need 15 or better to pm).
Oh well. That option is out. Sorry

Please Come Back MadSteamer! Need Help!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

I've got an OBDLink MX scanner and was unable to get it to work. I've got a few of the ELM 327 scanners somewhere, but I just can't seem to find any of them now. I know I gave the smaller blue one to my brother. But I should have another two or more somewhere.

I'll probly wait until I hear of someome else getting a specific one that works, tho. Been spending far too much money lately. :cry:
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User

Post by grndslm »

Found my ELM327 adapter and even tried an HT200 adapter I picked up from Walmart that supposedly had "more PIDs" and/or protocols or something...

Still... *NO PROTOCOL* works with this Lonelec 4 pin adapter and my PCX.

I'm bummed, because this would've been so awesome. Wondering if the OP happens to be associated with Lonelec company and sold a few extra of these to a few suckers like myself. Hmm... :-(
accyuklad
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: black

Post by accyuklad »

I reckon this needs to be deleted if its fake
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

It's possible that the OBDII interface only works on the current generation of PCX?
I'm pretty sure we established years ago that it wouldn't work on the first gen 2013-.