PCX 125 30 Liter Trunk Box

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

dh97007

PCX 125 30 Liter Trunk Box

Post by dh97007 »

This is my first post.

I just finished my first accessory "mod" on my 2011 PCX 125. I'm planning to do some scooter camping in the spring and summer next year, so I need to add some onboard storage that will keep my gear safe and secure.

I'm planning on carrying "emergency" gear under the seat (patch kit, inflator, tools, battery tender, etc...) as well as a small backpack with my gadgets (laptop, ipad, mobile "office"). These make up the bulk of my heavy gear so I wanted them under the seat to a) keep the center of mass as low as possible and b) keep it secure and dry.

Then I decided that I wanted to add some bags of some sort. I did a lot of research on soft saddlebags and trunk bags and came very close to going that route...but there's a problem with having both a trunk bag AND saddlebags...once everything is attached you can't lift the seat! So I decided to keep looking. I thought about getting a helmet trunk (Honda OEM or Givi) but didn't want to spend that much money and didn't like that most helmet boxes are clamshell...which means half of the storage capacity is in the lid!

Then I remembered that Rubbermaid makes these tough, waterproof, lockable storage boxes and tried to figure out how to mount it to the scooter. I got pretty far down the path of replacing the seat hump with some sort of mounting bracket that I would attach the storage box to...but decided against this due to the nature of the bolts and the fear that sideways torque on the seat would crack the plastic seat pan.

So, I finally decided to split the difference. I purchased the Honda OEM rear trunk base specifically designed for the Honda PCX 125 (the model for the 150 is different, beware): Honda Part #:08L42-KWN-100MSRP for $99.95 at my local Honda dealer or get it on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Genuine-Acc ... 42-KWN-100

After reading the installation instructions (didn't want to pay Honda Dealer $150 to install!!) I ordered a 20mm hole saw from Amazon for $6 with prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CM ... 02_s00_i00

And finally I purchased the 8 gallon "Action Packer" from my local REI for $24:

http://www.rei.com/product/634286/rubbe ... cker-8-gal

I was nervous about the installation because you have to remove the rear seat cowling and drill 20mm (1") holes in it. But, it went pretty well. I removed the cowling without doing any damage, drilled the holes from the underside (Honda was nice enough to mark the drill points), test fit the installation hardware, sanded down the edges with a dremel sander, and got ready to bolt everything in place.

Before I attached the rack base, I used it as a template to drill holes in the bottom of the Action Packer box. I got it as close to the seat as possible without it getting in the way of opening...and I used the drill points that were already on the rack base (intended for mounting the Honda OEM helmet box).

Once everything was predrilled and dry fitted, I bolted the base on the scooter, bolted the Action Packer directly to the base using the included screws, bolts, and washers (I did not use the "collars" as they are specifically designed for use with the helmet box) and viola! Perfect fit!

It feels pretty sturdy and it adds a ton of usable, securable space to the scooter (and I can probably still carry a small passenger).

I've got a lot more plans dancing around in my head, but haven't made any purchases yet.

I'm hoping to carry my "campsite" in the trunk box (small stove, cookware, dinnerware, food, lights, tools/knives, etc...) and then plan to strap carry a waterproof "bedroll" to the seat between me and the box (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pillow). I'm also thinking about attaching a 1.5 gallon fuel tank to either the back of the storage box or the lid...but I’m not sure about that yet. I was also toying with the idea of attaching a solar panel to the box lid for charging gear on long trips (or battery maintenance at campsites) but I'm not sure I want to commit the lid to that just yet (considering a small luggage rack to strap down light gear).

I did install a small GPS/Nav and ran power to the battery box using a 12v adapter and battery tender lead...but I want to figure out how to run it up the steering column so that it's not flapping in the wind. I'm also pretty sure I want a tunnel bag for riding clothes, snacks, etc...so if anyone has one to recommend let me know!

Hope this post helps, and let me know if you have questions or want better pics.

Thanks!

Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX 125 30 Liter Trunk Box

Post by Black Bandit »

That is super innovative and looks sweet on the bike mate! Love the Rubbermaid boxes! We don't have em here in Thailand unfortunately, but there are other options available here to such mods.

I too am prepping for a 1 day camping trip. Unfortunately on my own :( No friends here around this time of year plus 90% of local folks here don't like camping. They are scared. Sheesh.

This evening I fabricated some steel bars together in a stair shape (double L) and mounted them to the side of my already installed SHAD rack for the cargo box. Fitted nicely. I can attach my camera tripod, tent and sleeping bag onto them. Fits nicely. Now I'm in the process of attaching some arc hooks on top my cargo box for a little more carry space i.e. backpacks and such.

I could take some photos for you if you want. Not done yet but soon. Love your creative design mate! Keep it up!
dh97007

Post by dh97007 »

Thanks Bandit! I was nervous about modifying the scoot even though it is an oem mod. I tend to keep things "Vanilla". But now that I'm started I feel a lot better abut it.

I can't quite picture your setup but it sounds like you've got a ton of storage options. I'd love to see the pics when you're done.

Also, let me know how the camping goes. I'll post my packing list here too, would be curious about your gear choices.

Safe travels!
dh97007

Post by dh97007 »

I just got an ammo can from Amazon...cost $10 and fits perfectly in my new trunk!

IMG_1625 by bokehboy, on Flickr
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Are you going to ride your scooter?
dh97007

Post by dh97007 »

i'm not sure what you mean. why wouldn't I ride it?
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

dh97007 wrote: would be curious about your gear choices.

Safe travels!
What you need for an off-road on-road bike adventure CHECKLIST:
1) Full face helmet
2) gloves with armor
3) safety jacket
4) leg armor
5) safety shoes
6) flat tyre repair kit
7) water
8) extra fuel storage containers
9) camping tent and portable gas cooker
10) emergency battery chargers for camera gear
11) camera tripod
12) rain protection gear
13) extra warm socks
14) mosquito repellent
15) mini first-aid kit
16) bike repair tools
17) swim clothes and travel clothes
18) flashlight
19) drink holder
and last most importantly:
20) good spirit.

Here are the photos I took just now of my adjustments and add-ons:

Heres that DOUBLE L bracket I told you about. Just a quick welding job with some scrap metal and voila!

P.S.

Don't mind the background. I got a messy place! Always working on something :-)
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Still got to weld one more support bar down the middle under the box from left to right as it's jiggling about when I start hitting high speeds.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Black Bandit wrote:Still got to weld one more support bar down the middle under the box from left to right as it's jiggling about when I start hitting high speeds.

On the double L bracket?

Tbh I don't think that looks up to off road use as it's pictured. It will stress fracture at the mounting points after a while
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Black Bandit wrote: 5) safety shoes
6) flat tyre repair kit
7) water
8) extra fuel storage containers
9) camping tent and portable gas cooker
10) emergency battery chargers for camera gear
11) camera tripod
Don'tcha just love auto-emoticons! :lol:

At first I wondered why you were so excited about extra fuel storage...
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

I didn't notice it until a few hours later.

"Where did number 8) go"??
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Dangunit it happened again!
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

dh97007 wrote:Then I remembered that Rubbermaid makes these tough, waterproof, lockable storage boxes and tried to figure out how to mount it to the scooter. And finally I purchased the 8 gallon "Action Packer" from my local REI for $24:http://www.rei.com/product/634286/rubbe ... cker-8-gal
Have you taken it for a ride yet? How was it? I'm curious about the aerodynamics of having the square box on the back.
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

Thinking the same thing, Phil

But options are very limited with waterproof storage. Unless the drag is unmanageable it looks like a great way to haul gear. And it really doesn't look bad!

I'm currently looking for options for a 2-3 day fishing trip. Even the 4 piece flyrods won't fit a box and then there's the waders. I'd hate to wear a pack for a 200 mile ride each way. Haven't giving it much thought until now. I'm a master of nylon strapping and HD Velcro...lol I know a guy that sews (me) and he's a prick and charges too much... :lol:

I think you're on to something, Urbanian!
dh97007

Post by dh97007 »

I haven't taken it for a spin yet...been super busy over the holidays and the weather has been less than friendly (30s with rain & snow...).

I'll get out as sooon as I can and let everyone know how it handles. It's only about 20" wide so I'm hoping that my body profile pushes the wind out of the way before it hits the box, but I'll keep you all posted.

Shoe, I saw a guy use PCV pipes on his rooftop to stow fishing poles and other items like that. He used 6" pipe but i'm pretty sure you could craft something out of 2" pipe that would be easy to attach/strap down and it should hold a fishing pole easy.
dh97007

Post by dh97007 »

Another quick note. I got an Esbit stove kit for xmas and it fits perfectly in the little ammo can I posted earlier. I even have room for ramen and a couple packs of instant oatmeal underneath!

http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-3-Piece-Lig ... ords=esbit

I tested this guy out and it boiled 16oz of water in about 8 minutes (indoors) and it burned for about 20 minutes total.

I also picked up this set, which fits perfectly in the ammo can as well. I got it at Target for $14.99 on sale. It holds more water than the esbit and it fits on the esbit stove perfectly as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Adventure ... ey+cookset
Shoe
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Shoe »

dh97007 wrote:I

Shoe, I saw a guy use PCV pipes on his rooftop to stow fishing poles and other items like that. He used 6" pipe but i'm pretty sure you could craft something out of 2" pipe that would be easy to attach/strap down and it should hold a fishing pole easy.
I'll work on it, trust me! I don't mind drilling holes for a purpose, as long as it looks clean and professional!

This critter will take additional thinking, seeing there's very few options. I never tried to reduce my gear for a scooter and make it comfortable for longer trips. I know I can pull it off.

On my last boat I spent countless hours trying to place instrumentation, rod holders, wiring, ect...

This critter might be the ultimate challenge. A need for a 12V USB, one for my phone, haven't thought about Lowarance GPS....
dh97007

Post by dh97007 »

I attached a battery tender lead (had to trim the positive terminal ring with tin snips) and bought a 12v adapter for $6. I can plug in my Garmin now and have a dual USB adapter as well for iPhone etc. have to be careful not the leave it plugged in but so far works like a champ.

I'm also looking at solar battery pack solutions...
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Black Bandit wrote:Dangunit it happened again!
:lol: eight :lol: lovin' it!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I wouldn't worry about aerodynamics -- you'll be fine. That'll change aerodynamics less than having someone on the back.

Cool idea, very utilitarian.

When I go motorcycle camping, I bring:
* hammock tent -- Hennesey Expedition
* sleeping bag
* rope (thin, but long)
* change of clothes per day (tshirt, jeans, underwear, socks)
* shoes
* riding jacket
* helmet
* bodywash
* deodorant
* toothbrush
* towel
* small towel
* screwdriver (phillips / flathead)
* Allen wrench kit
* 2x adjustable wrenches
* duct tape
* tire patch kit
* CO2 inflator
* LED flashlight and headlamp
* food and water (instant noodles, crackers, kippers, trail mix, energy bars, etc... ). I don't pack food light, the bike can carry the load.
* Camping stove (a friend of mine has a Jetboil, and I'm totally jealous). Mine's self-lighting, so no need for matches...
* fuel
* mess kit (small pot / skillet, bowl, mug, spork, chop sticks)
* knife
* small first aid kit w/ insect repellent
* phone
* phone charger
* camera
* small tripod
* folding chair (sometimes)

I take all the gear in waterproof cases. I usually strap a large roll-top waterproof bag to the bike, then a backpack with the rest of the gear and my clothes in it. The backpack is this: http://www.amazon.com/Overboard-Liters- ... 96&sr=8-14 and the roll-top bag is like this one, only clear and cost half as much from the camping section of wal-mart (brand is Ozark Trail): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Y ... g/15111255

The nice thing about motorcycle camping is, you can load the bike as much as you want. It has to carry the load, not you. I usually pack a bit lighter if I'm going backwoods-camping on my KTM, but I always way overpack the PCX.

The pipe idea is good, I see lots of guys on advrider with KLRs or F650GSs using 3" PVC sections as toolboxes, because they can mount under a topbox off of a bracket similar to Black Bandit's.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes