2018 model spark plug recommendation

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

2018 model spark plug recommendation

Post by cnikonpete »

Looking through handbook,it says the spark plug required is an NGK MR8K-9,tried searching online and the only results are Indonesian,only started looking as Honda no longer supply spark plug wrench in tool kit.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: 2018 model spark plug recommendation

Post by iceman »

The dealer should have them for around £10 I expect, but why the interest in the spark plug for a brand new under-warranty model?
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

I am used to having a spare plug I suppose,I wasn't specifically looking for a plug only the correct socket as Honda can't afford one anymore,either that or they don't think anyone should do basic servicing themselves.

I have asked the salesman to check,originally thought my plug socket had been pinched,and he confirmed they are not supplied.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

The spark plug will last several years… Spend your money on something else.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Just thought it might be of interest to purchasers of the new model, as I spent 30+ years fixing all sorts of vehicles professionally I know that anything made by man can break,and probably will when you are certain that it won't.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

What gets supplied seems to vary, even when Honda do supply a few tools - some only get the helmet strap, some get a screw-driver too, some get one more item. Mostly they all seem cheap, nasty things anyway.
Strange that Honda have changed the spark plug used on the new model - as you say it's not advertised anywhere is the normal parts of europe on the net.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

The new plug is in the handbook,even ngk don't list it,reading google translation of the few foreign sites that do list it, it would seem that the nose is longer,maybe the engine mods they have done on the new model required a different plug.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

cnikonpete wrote:Just thought it might be of interest to purchasers of the new model, as I spent 30+ years fixing all sorts of vehicles professionally I know that anything made by man can break,and probably will when you are certain that it won't.
You really don't need to justify to anyone here why you want a $7 spark plug. You asked a simple question on a scooter forum.
I might suggest you look into the availability of an NGK Iridium plug, Denso also makes some. It's a straight swap if one is available for your plug - no need to change the heat range - this info is straight from a emailed exchange with NGK. I've used them with good results in Honda, Kymco, Piaggio and Suzuki scooters.

Fish
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

I definitely recommend a spark plug, unless you like pushing your bike.

I was taken to an old school biker garage owned by a member of the "Blue Angels" by an old school biker friend and after hanging around all day I felt compelled to buy something, I bought a spark plug :(

They were very nice to me but told me iridium spark plugs only really count on high end high performance bikes.

Don't waste your money, the spark plug you got with the bike is good for tens of thousands of miles. If you feel compelled to have a spare get a stock one.

My two cents :D
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Today I had a nice chat with NGK UK,they phoned me regarding this plug,which I thought was a nice gesture. They were glad that someone had told them so that they can update their information to the motor trade,

Apparently it will not be released as an aftermarket part for sometime and will only be available through Honda, NGK have made it specifically for Honda manufacturing new PCX's.

Had another ride today on winding country lanes, mpg showing as 130 mpg,bit breezy so topped out between 55-60 mph, which was adequate for the ride,maybe it will get a little livelier after the break in period,(only done 90 odd miles to date) or maybe it won't. Just got to adjust my expectations,after owning a 500cc bike for so long.

Amazed at the turning circle,don't think I've ever owned a bike where the handlebars turn so far as this.