powerbypcx seats?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

powerbypcx seats?

Post by depthman »

I've got my PCX150 tweaked, except for the seat! I didn't like the little hump, so I took it off, and had a local upholstery guy fill the hole with foam and recover. But where it was filled in was kind of a hump, and it was not comfortable on long rides! I'm thinking of ordering one from Thailand Powerbypcx, but, of course, there's no way to know about a seat until you sit on it! So, I'm wondering if anyone here has tried any of their seats? (I'm not riding in this cold weather, but I want to be ready for spring!) Thanks.
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Re: powerbypcx seats?

Post by Mitch Detailed »

One guy on the boards removed the hump and took it to an upholstery shop and let them go to town. I would look into this route.
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

One guy on the boards removed the hump and took it to an upholstery shop and let them go to town. I would look into this route.
Appreciate your response, but I did mention that is exactly what I've already done...
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

depthman wrote:
Appreciate your response, but I did mention that is exactly what I've already done...
And I'm sure you did EXACTLY what he did, to the tee... Which is why he felt quite comfortable with his once completed according to his post, and your looking to purchase a new seat...

There's plenty of different materials to fill in the hard portions, from cheap polyester to expensive viscoelastic foam. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

And I'm sure you did EXACTLY what he did,
?? Obviously not, as it wasn't the same upholstery guy. So mine didn't work out, his did. Maybe I should find out who it is and send it to HIS guy.
Meanwhile, I hope to find someone who's got a seat from powerbypcx. Thanks.
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

I purchased a seat from powerbypcx.com, here is the tread with picutres that I posted. Have been using the new seat since then with no problems. I am impressed by the quality of it.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=811
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

Have been using the new seat since then with no problems.
So, you swapped out the original stock seat. You like this one much better? ("no problems" doesn't sound like you're thrilled!?) (Oh, I also see "it's a heck of a lot more comfortable")
Why did you pick this one of the various types?
Thanks!
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

depthman wrote:So, you swapped out the original stock seat. You like this one much better? ("no problems" doesn't sound like you're thrilled!?) (Oh, I also see "it's a heck of a lot more comfortable") Why did you pick this one of the various types? Thanks!
I really like the seat. I don't feel like I am crammed to the front of the seat the way the stock one made it feel. I chose the one I bought because I didn't want to replicate the same issue I already had (the hump) with another one of a different variety. I wanted something streamlined and non-flashy, hence the one I chose.
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

Thanks, that seems to be the one they're recommending. Though it looks like their "hump" (backrest) is farther back (on TYPE3 http://www.powerbypcx.com/achat-selle-t ... 69439.html )? and surrounds your butt end... Could like that as well. Does LOOK comfortable! And they look cool! MAYBE I'll buy one of each and sell the one I like less... The seat is pretty important if you're going to be doing a lot of miles! :) Aside from shipping, the price is reasonable. I wonder what it would cost to get a replacement seat from Honda!?

By the way, Phil... how tall are you? (I'm 5'8")
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

Never looked into a seat from Honda, can't help you there.
As far as height, I am around 6'2"/6'3"
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

I had the same problem after having my seat hump removed and seat recovered. The remaining hump mount posts were causing a problem (back pain) after dealing with it I decided they had to go. My seat guy here cut the hump posts out and covered the holes with seat vinyl and was not totally satisfied, I wanted the holes filled in and this was not his fault. I went on a search for a solution to fill in the holes and came up with a non-dangerous epoxy solution. The product was called EPO Putty, I used a couple of packs to fill in the holes and then painted with no problems. So far the seat has held up and I just got back from a 3 day/1700KM trip with many bumps along the way and no problems so far. I want to go back and sand the finish smooth and repaint to make it look more of a factory job. This made a huge difference in terms of comfort on the longer rides.

Here's a picture of what I used to fill the holes.
Attachments
EPO.jpg
EPO.jpg (11.11 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

Hey, HawaiiJ, would love to see some photos...?
But as you're in Thailand, I would have thought you might get one of those powerbypcx seats! At least you could try them out (I would love to try, though the real test would be a 3 day ride)!
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

I'll snap a picture of what it looks like tomorrow, I went through a phone swap recently and it looks like I lost the "work in progress" pictures. I tried many of the seats like the ones at powerbypcx and found most of them to still have a hard/restrictive pit for the driver to sit in. Most don't offer much opportunity sit back on the seat and force you to the front of the seat. At nearly 6'5", I need to have a little room to slide back on the seat. Many of the early aftermarket seats here in Thailand are factory core rebuilds with the hump removed and the humps posts still there. Also, I see many without the rubber seal and this will be a problem if you are in rainy weather. Luckily, I found a seat doctor here who is very good at what he does and is cheap. My seat mod cost me 1500 THB and another 200 THB to have the hump posts removed. This included recovering and additional foam for comfort. Even with the additional foam mod, I still use an AirHawk cushion for my trips and would not think of traveling long distance without it. I just hit 10,000 km and the seat looks like new and seems to be holding up well.
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

I still use an AirHawk cushion for my trips and would not think of traveling long distance without it.
Airhawk, eh? Just a quick look shows that they're not exactly cheap! $90-140... as much as a new seat. Worth it, if they work! Which one are you using?
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

I'm using the AirHawk2, medium cruiser. This size fits the PCX seat very well. I paid 84USD via Amazon to have it shipped to Florida and then shipped to Thailand with a periodic shipment I get every couple of months with essentials I can't get here in Thailand. In the longrun, it cost me about 100USD total. Well worth the cost in my opinion.
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

Thanks, I think you sold me one! I'll re-work my own stock seat and pop the Airhawk for longer rides. :D
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

Just noticed you were in Maynard, I was living in Littleton for a few years (moved July 2011) while I worked at Hanscom. Are you able to get in any ride time with the weather or are you mostly parked for the winter?
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

Pretty well parked for the winter. It's getting up to 40F in the sun today so I've got the bike out for a startup and maybe a little ride (fill up and stabilizer).
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

Here's a couple of pics, I kept looking and found the in-progress shot I was looking for.

This pic shows one package of the EPO Putty, basically it was used to cover the holes.

This pic is with 2 packages of the EPO used, & painted with a gloss black. The scratches are from a dremel tool, I quickly realized it was not going to work in this situation. I still want to get a bit of hand sanding done and repaint with a flat black to make it look better. Even if I don't do the sanding it accomplished my goal to fill in the holes and put a little strength back into the seat.

I think the one packages would have been enough to get the job done, the EPO Putty was very easy to mix and use.
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

HawaiiJ wrote:I'm using the AirHawk2, medium cruiser. This size fits the PCX seat very well. I paid 84USD via Amazon to have it shipped to Florida and then shipped to Thailand with a periodic shipment I get every couple of months with essentials I can't get here in Thailand. In the longrun, it cost me about 100USD total. Well worth the cost in my opinion.
I just pulled this cushion up on amazon, it looks a bit small. I assume that it would cover only the part of the PCX seat that the driver is riding on, correct?