Hi guys need help with tuning

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Leeg47
Year: 2015
Color: Nha16p- pearl

Hi guys need help with tuning

Post by Leeg47 »

I have recently bought a pcx 2015 125 (ww125ex2f) I want a couple of tuning methods to increase my top speed while keeping the unarguable reliability of these Honda scooters I need more top end as I commute down a busy a road everyday and the scooter struggling to top out at 65 isn’t really enough for me to stay safe plus we all like a faster than stock scooter any experienced input will be appreciated thanks guys
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: Hi guys need help with tuning

Post by Oyabun »

Welcome to the forums.
I really don't want to come across as rude, but please try to use the search function. It helps.
Forum engines have limitations, but you can search for short or common words with google site search function also. e.g.: https://www.google.hu/search?q=site%3Ah ... ine+tuning
The PCX is not the bike what would be tuned very often, but quite a few of us had done minor of major upgrades on it.
I'd start with changing the variator. Lotsa topics on that also.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Please go to your profile and include your location so that we can be of better assistance to you... and what color is Nha16p? Simple color descriptions would be fine, such as red, white, gray, black, etc.
Thanks, and welcome to our forum.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Honda NHA16P, Honda Pearl Cool White Metallic
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Leeg47

Post by Leeg47 »

I did try the search option but it didn’t work very well, but thankyou for the input I would appreciate if someone could recommend a good variator to me please and I will change my profile right now thanks guys
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Jcosta is unbeatable in acceéeration, and it has good top speed too. Downside that it wears our weights pretty fast, and it is the most expensive.
Many US inmates like the NYC, but that's a foreign order, and I haven't tried that.
I use a Malossi multivar 2000, very reliable, good top speed and good acceleration. With a new belt it reaches 75mph as per the speedo (rather real 65-68 mph per GPS), but don't expect fireworks after like 55 from a vario only on a 125cc scooter.

There are big bore kits to 150, 164, 170cc, but that's a major work to install and realistic real life to speed will be still limited to 75-80mph. Will also need to address brakes, and suspension. I've done all that, mainly because I like to swing that wrench - but would not advise that route for less technically oriented ppl.
Install a better variator, and rather save the cash you'd spend on those upgrades to sell the PCX and buy a larger category scooter when the time comes.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

The NCY variator "how to" is in the how-to section.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Leeg47

Post by Leeg47 »

Thanks oyabun I will try the malossi vario I plan to upgrade to a Honda Forza or Suzuki burg man when I pass my bigger bike licence I appreciate the help thankyou
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Unfortunately a 125cc engine is not going to give you much more than 75 -80 mph with ALL of the improvements that can be added, and at those speeds it will still be a light scooter which will affect handling. We change out our variator and rollers just to give us the extra reserve we need for emergencies and for keeping up with traffic when climbing hills.

One advantage the PCX has over larger scooters is its maneuverability in city traffic. It also has some of the best gas mileage in the industry. Those are its biggest assets.

Try to enjoy your time with it. As long as you do not expect more out of it than a 125cc engine can normally give, you will find it to be a very nice scooter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Leeg47

Post by Leeg47 »

It’s a lovely scooter it handles pretty well and accelerates up to 40-50 nicely but like you say I have issues with keeping a decent speed up hills and on a roads I would like it to sit at 65-75 in a straight line I have ordered a tall windshield and would like to know what variatior and rollers you would recommend I also was advised to change the fuel injector would this be advisable I wouldn’t mind if it used abit more fuel as I’m getting 103 mpg at the minute which is brilliant
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

There are some good deals on Jcosta EVO 3 at the moment- just got one for £104. I had mixed feelings on my V1 with it, had a malossi on my LED 2014, and gave it a shot again after reading Oyabun's comments here. I am still breaking it in but am very happy with it: very smooth, nice acceleration gain, not too loud and screaming as the Malossi was, makes the engine sound better actually, easy install. My gas consumption is settling @ between 2.4-2.5L vs 2.2 Stock, it used to be 2.6 with the malossi. Happy!
Leeg47

Post by Leeg47 »

Thanks for all the help and info guys it’s really appreciated, I recently discovered that my steering has gone abit stuff when I move the handlebars to the right I jet washed my bike yesterday but noticed that my sbike cover was removed this morning and I ha e an alaremed disc lock do you think Themis could be related to theives trying to break the steering lock or I’ve done something at the jet wash I don’t blast under the steering or nothing and the bike is fine to turn left the steering lock locks to the left on my pcx any body come across this problem before?