New Honda Monkey 125

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

New Honda Monkey 125

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

I'm just about to buy myself a new Honda Monkey . . . based on the Grom . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Monkey ... 2346077667

(Not to replace the PCX as such, I just need something a little easier to lift/roll on to the back of my RV - the PCX goes on just fine but is a tad heavy.)

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: New Honda Monkey 125

Post by Mel46 »

Noooooo!! Nothing can take the place of that PCX.

Imagine needing to run to the store because you are short on groceries. Where in hell are you going to put ANYTHING on that Monkey 125?? You can't even comfortably take a passenger on that little dust maker.

Be real. If you are not towing a car behind you, how do you make any trips off of the camp grounds?
Would you like to spend your day comfortably sightseeing on THAT?!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Mel46 wrote:Noooooo!! Nothing can take the place of that PCX.

Imagine needing to run to the store because you are short on groceries. Where in hell are you going to put ANYTHING on that Monkey 125?? You can't even comfortably take a passenger on that little dust maker.

Be real. If you are not towing a car behind you, how do you make any trips off of the camp grounds?
Would you like to spend your day comfortably sightseeing on THAT?!
Fair enough Mel. Sold! I'll stick with the PCX.:D
Pistol660
Year: 2017 sh300i
Color: Red

Post by Pistol660 »

Different design bikes for a different use. That's the first time I've seen the price but if you can afford it then go for it! Looks very reasonable to me and you're guaranteed a smile every time you ride it. Monkey bikes are classic and fun!
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:I'm just about to buy myself a new Honda Monkey . . . based on the Grom . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Monkey ... 2346077667

(Not to replace the PCX as such, I just need something a little easier to lift/roll on to the back of my RV - the PCX goes on just fine but is a tad heavy.)

Is the problem weight? Or just, the bulk and plastic packaging?

I had a monkeybike. A Kawasaki Z125. Nice ride; and it showed me that Kawasaki had gotten their chassis mojo; but what it reminded me, was what a BLESSING was the snowmobile transmission on small scooters. Big machines do better with manual gearboxes; but little scooter-size engines, perform MUCH better with CV variators.

I'm thinking again....strip the cladding off the PCX...put a headlight on it...maybe some frame mods to make it less hideous and put a moto saddle on it...and it should be okay in your carrier...ya think?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

From what I've seen so far the new Monkey Bike is supposed to have a really comfortable seat and be just plain fun.

Here's a lengthly rider review. . .. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-vFb_Qgk0

For errands around town though that require carrying stuff I would think the PCX would be more practical. For riding around camp grounds and jaunts off to a local town the Monkey Bike would do fine. . .. That said maybe have a back pack handy? 8)

The Super Cub would at least allow one to install a top box with ease. Not so sure about saddle bags as the turn signals may be in the way.

I guess it comes down to fun vs practicality. It's a real find when you can have both in one machine. :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm thinking again....strip the cladding off the PCX...put a headlight on it...maybe some frame mods to make it less hideous and put a moto saddle on it...and it should be okay in your carrier...ya think?
Sounds a bit like one of those Kymco Motorcycles. . .. 8)

https://www.kymcousa.com/product-category/motorcycles/
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have seen plenty of small scooters, like a Ruckus, at camp grounds but I can't imagine any of those riders using them to go to the store or to carry a passenger for a comfortable day of sightseeing. Most of the time they seemed to be used by the kids for just running around the campsite. Not practical. Just for fun.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JustPassinThru »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Sounds a bit like one of those Kymco Motorcycles. . .. 8)

https://www.kymcousa.com/product-category/motorcycles/
On the Cleveland Moto podcast, Phil, the owner of the dealership and the principal of the podcast, spoke of his testing a Spade 150...taking it home, ten miles, over a stretch of Interstate.

He tucked, and put his feet on the pillion pegs, and got, he said, a GPS verified 73 mph.

That actually speaks well of the Kymco bike. But, once again, tiny engine and a conventional transmission. Maybe the ticket here is to stuff a scooter transmission into one of those...somehow...not sure which end the variator would be hanged on, or whether they could find a way to adapt a belt to a frame-mounted engine, or whether they could just stuff the engine and swingarm off a scoot into an erzatz motorcycle frame.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

CVT means power losses.
The clutch-lever-less transmission on underbones is possibly the best of both worlds.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JustPassinThru »

gn2 wrote:CVT means power losses.
The clutch-lever-less transmission on underbones is possibly the best of both worlds.
I owned a Kawasaki Z125 Pro for a short period of time. GREAT chassis. But the riding position is pure monkeybike; and the engine...well, the PCX125, which I had at the same time, had the same top speed and accelerated faster.

That Z was my first, only experience with a gearbox and an engine that small, although my TW200 of some years back showed some of the same issues, to a lesser extent.