Headphones

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

IvyGodivy
Year: TBD
Color: TBD

Headphones

Post by IvyGodivy »

Another thing on my list of gear to buy is headphones. Curious is anyone else doing headphones? If yes, what brand/model?

I am leaning towards the sporty Beats due to the loop and how it can hang off your ear. Don't get me wrong, making/taking phones calls isn't what drives me to getting this, but rather hearing the GPS commands than looking down every-so-often.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Headphones

Post by Mel46 »

I have not thought of using headphones because the wind noise is a factor by itself, and it may not be easy to hear the commands without turning the volume up to a point where it might cause hearing loss. Some members use ear plugs to try to dampen the wind noise, so you will just have to try some ear buds out to see if there will still be a problem.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
IvyGodivy

Post by IvyGodivy »

Due to the sound of my Ducati and the speeds I went at, I seriously doubt that wind noise will be much of an issue on a scooter.
Medicpcx
Year: 2018
Color: Grey

Post by Medicpcx »

I actually use a helmet speaker and mic system for listening to music as I found if you use headphones for a while it starts getting painful and you can see pressure lines from the wire
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

IvyGodivy wrote:Due to the sound of my Ducati and the speeds I went at, I seriously doubt that wind noise will be much of an issue on a scooter.
Searching google some months back, I found a statement that 'hearing loss from wind noise comes into play at speeds even as low as 30-40 mph, and with some cheaper helmets wind noise and squeal can be heard starting in the 30-40mph range. Comes down to how people value their hearing.
I always use them as I want good hearing for as long as possible. They help cut down on bike noise in general which I like, and I can still hear sirens, cars, people, etc, perfectly well with them in.
Wind noise is even reported as an issue for cyclists
https://www.noisyplanet.nidcd.nih.gov/h ... n-cyclists
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

I use the Kos Porta Pro headphones for navigation and listening to sounds. The sound is excellent for the price. The speakers simply clip off the headset and I placed them inside a couple of velcro backed pouches (which come with £1.99 motorbike headsets from China on ebay) to hold them in place.

I use a wireless controller similar to the one linked below clipped to my jacket. It allows me to control volume, skip tracks and activate Google Assistant if I pull over to make a call or whatever. I think I spent £25 on the headphones on Amazon, £2.99 on a set of chinese headphones just to get the fabric pouches with velcro backing and £3.99 on a similar bluetooth controller to the one below. The bluetooth controller covers me for about 6-8 hours before it needs a one hour recharge. Only the heaviest of rain interferes with its functions and it has always dried out and worked fine afterwards. I've been using the same one for about 4 years now through 4 winter commutes. The sound is really excellent from the headphones. I use attenuated earplugs to minimise windnoise and I can still hear the headset fine. There's a really useful app called 'Tune announcer' on Android which will also announce tracks and artist if you're listening to a random or new playlist, and another app called Smart Bluetooth allows you to remap the main key on the bluetooth controller to call up Google Assistant or do whatever you want it to. Here are some links, but you can probably find cheaper. Try eBay for the bluetooth controller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUXYVOA/re ... B01MUXYVOA

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001P4ZH/re ... 98862&sr=1
G'Bru
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Medicpcx wrote:I actually use a helmet speaker and mic system for listening to music as I found if you use headphones for a while it starts getting painful and you can see pressure lines from the wire
Exactly… I have no idea how anybody uses headphones, putting speakers mounted in the helmet makes the most sense for comfort and the ability for situational awareness. A SENA SMH10R is an easy and complete system. I own three.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

I use ear buds with hooks over the ear.

If I'm on the PCX and have my scooter helmet on (a dirtbike helmet, no face shield) I'm fine, up to about 50 mph. The engine is quiet, of course.

On my Kawasaki with the snug-fitting Bell helmet, with full-face drop-down shield...and the scream of that 180-degree firing pattern Kaw twin...no, doesn't work.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I use an amped spker mounted in wind cavity.No ear probs and at speed hear very well.Ear buds irritate and headphones are bulky.And yes,I can hear traffic very well too.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

I use Plugfones with my Cardo Packtalk. I love it.

Tried the speakers that came with the Cardo but could barely hear with normal earplugs on. Speakers probably needed precise placement in my helmet but that seems impossible to achieve.
ImageImageImage
IvyGodivy

Post by IvyGodivy »

Another factor in my decision is I am committed to getting a full size windshield as a well as hand protectors from the wind and flying pebbles and bugs. So that alone will but down on the wind noise.
neb4152
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by neb4152 »

I use MEE Audio M6 Pro ear buds. They hook over my ears under my helmet and fit snuggly inside the ear. don't slip out. great sound and good sound isolation with the right tips. comes with comply memory foam tips. long cable, too. excellent headphones, especially for riding. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B4PDF6K/re ... 5c035dbfa0
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say I don't think headphones or helmets with speaker systems for listening to music are a good idea. They are counterproductive to situational awareness IMHO. That said there are certain situations when they are used as communication tools between rider and passenger or between other riders/vehicles while riding in a formation that they make sense. But that's just me. . .. :geek:
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

I use sena bluetooth headset smh-10 and they work awesome.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

pcx888 wrote:I use sena bluetooth headset smh-10 and they work awesome.
Same here - I have the Sena SMH-5D
speerman84
Color: Red

Post by speerman84 »

I use some fairly cheap bluetooth earbuds. Work great, and aren't bulky/uncomfortable under a full face helmet.

Here's the ones I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DC ... UTF8&psc=1

I have some "better" headphones that have better range, longer battery life, better sound quality, etc, but they're larger, and as a result are a really tight fit under the helmet, so even though they may operate better in the outside world, they're not better for riding.