Thinking of downsizing to a PCX

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Thinking of downsizing to a PCX

Post by Sandymay »

Two days ago, after a very successful ride of about 40 km, I nearly dropped my Forza on my friends driveway. Lucky for me, a man was outside and saw my problem and came over to help me right the bike.

The bike is fine, not a scratch, but my knee is seriously injured. Three torn ligaments. Lucky for me I had my riding boots on, so my foot and ankle were protected.

I’ve had my 2016 Forza for about a year now, and am finding it to be big and impossible for me to push around on grass, uphill on pavement or put on the centre stand.

I’m female and weight about 145 lbs, and am also a new rider. The Forza is my first bike.

I originally was going to purchase a PCX, but then Honda had a great sale and I ended up purchasing the Forza. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great bike, and I appreciate its weigh in the wind, but after my accident on Friday, I’m a little intimidated by it.

Does anyone have experience with both bikes? Thanks!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Thinking of downsizing to a PCX

Post by you you »

I don’t have experience of a Forza but I have had other bikes and scooters and none have been less intimidating than a PCX. It’s one step up from an electric bicycle
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I certainly understand how you feel.
The Forza which I enjoy very much is no joke when it comes to weight. Pushing it constantly up an incline all the time would have me thinking about a PCX as well. I had a PCX125 for a while and loved that scooter but sold it for the freeway riding ability of the Forza. I am light as well at 135pds. Imo, if you're don't ride freeways sell the Forza. The PCX is more fun around town, way better MPG and yes as YOU YOU says its one step up from an electric bicycle, it feels like it weights nothing.
There are some days I feel like trading my Forza to go back to a PCX but going anywhere far avoiding the freeways take forever.

Maybe you can get something else besides a Honda? The Vespa 300 GTS and weights 60 pounds less.
:geek:
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

Sandymay wrote:Two days ago, after a very successful ride of about 40 km, I nearly dropped my Forza on my friends driveway. Lucky for me, a man was outside and saw my problem and came over to help me right the bike.

The bike is fine, not a scratch, but my knee is seriously injured. Three torn ligaments. Lucky for me I had my riding boots on, so my foot and ankle were protected.

I’ve had my 2016 Forza for about a year now, and am finding it to be big and impossible for me to push around on grass, uphill on pavement or put on the centre stand.

I’m female and weight about 145 lbs, and am also a new rider. The Forza is my first bike.

I originally was going to purchase a PCX, but then Honda had a great sale and I ended up purchasing the Forza. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great bike, and I appreciate its weigh in the wind, but after my accident on Friday, I’m a little intimidated by it.

I don't have experience with a Forza, but I had a Burgman 400.

The two are vastly different...I mean, the Burgman from the PCX, and not just because of different makers. Because of the size.

The PCX is, as someone said, almost as light and easy as a motorized bicycle. Weighs about 260 pounds. Which is good in the garage and in traffic.

It's not so good at speed. First, you'll be limited to 65 mph or so; and at that speed...the PCX is stable, don't get me wrong. But it's like a little fishing dinghy with a big outboard on it. It's pushing the line of physics.

IMHO, the Forza is a good choice for a first machine; and I think you'd lose more than you gain by changing. I understand that you had problems getting things righted, but you're not clear why. Do you have medical or age-related issues? Those may not go away, in which case changing would be the best plan.

Is it just that you found you were not strong enough? There are videos online, of young women, under 100 pounds, learning to pick up a dropped larger motorcycle. It can be done, you may just need to learn the technique and some practice.

You can probably practice by setting some old tires out on the grass, and letting the scooter over, gently (get help!) and then learning how to grab it to pick it up.
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

JustPassinThru wrote:
Sandymay wrote:Two days ago, after a very successful ride of about 40 km, I nearly dropped my Forza on my friends driveway. Lucky for me, a man was outside and saw my problem and came over to help me right the bike.

The two are vastly different...I mean, the Burgman from the PCX, and not just because of different makers. Because of the size.

The PCX is, as someone said, almost as light and easy as a motorized bicycle. Weighs about 260 pounds. Which is good in the garage and in traffic.

It's not so good at speed. First, you'll be limited to 65 mph or so; and at that speed...the PCX is stable, don't get me wrong. But it's like a little fishing dinghy with a big outboard on it. It's pushing the line of physics.

IMHO, the Forza is a good choice for a first machine; and I think you'd lose more than you gain by changing. I understand that you had problems getting things righted, but you're not clear why. Do you have medical or age-related issues? Those may not go away, in which case changing would be the best plan.

Is it just that you found you were not strong enough? There are videos online, of young women, under 100 pounds, learning to pick up a dropped larger motorcycle. It can be done, you may just need to learn the technique and some practice.

You can probably practice by setting some old tires out on the grass, and letting the scooter over, gently (get help!) and then learning how to grab it to pick it up.
I do have some checks against me...just turned 60 in April. I’ve been weight training all winter to help me manage the Forza, as I was having difficulty last year. Yes also to arthritis and A-fib. :(
oliver
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

Post by oliver »

Sandymay wrote:my knee is seriously injured. Three torn ligaments.
Oof... that's painful. Best wishes.
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011

Post by JustPassinThru »

Sandymay wrote:
JustPassinThru wrote:

I do have some checks against me...just turned 60 in April. I’ve been weight training all winter to help me manage the Forza, as I was having difficulty last year. Yes also to arthritis and A-fib. :(
Ah.

I just turned 60 this week. Bad back and had spinal surgery.

But, with planning...I was able to pick up my V-Strom 650 when I dropped it a year ago. I wouldn't do it for fun; but it is doable.

Perhaps downsizing is the way to go...but, boy. I hate to see someone waste money, trading so quick. Especially since it may not meet your needs, either.

I have a PCX125 for sale, but it's in the States. Don't know how difficult it would be to ship and import to Canada
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I am 59, short male (strong) and the Forza is heavy. I know how to get it on the centerstand but it is a struggle for me. I have way too many injuries.

I cannot push it on the grass to get it to my back shed but I can ride it really slowly. There have been a few incidents on the wet grass that have scared me a little.

I ride long distances so I have no desire for a PCX but maybe as I get older???
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

We are all old Pharts :lol: :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Getting a Forza on the stand is about technique.

With Forza on sidestand on firm level surface...
Take hold of left handlebar with left hand and grab rail with right hand.
Place right foot on centrestand and lower it till the stand touches the ground.
Using your right leg to push against the bodywork and using your hands on the bar and grabrail, gently push the scooter upright till both centrestand feet are on the ground and put enough weight on your foot to keep both legs of the stand on the ground.
Next, stand up on your right foot puting all your weight on it (left foot clear of the ground if need be) and simultaneously pull up on the grabrail and back and up on the handlebar.
You're not trying to pull the scooter back, you're using your weight to push vertically down on the stand and pull vertically up on the grabrail.
It should pop up really easily with practice.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

oliver wrote: Oof... that's painful. Best wishes.
Thanks Oliver
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks everyone for their comments and suggestions...as always, appreciated.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Your instincts are correct.
Struggling with, or being intimidated by a scooter you've had for a year is not what the riding experience is all about.
A clean, low mileage Forza will be a nice trade in on a smaller scooter.
What are your local dealers selling?
Piaggio, Kymco, Yamaha, Honda and Vespa make nice 150cc scooters. Some are simple " step-thru" designs with nice flat floors for the feet.
Do demand a scooter with the latest safety features...especially ABS braking!
While you convalesce you can research and read reviews of 150cc scooters.
The Kymco LIKE150i is "scooter of the year" ($2600...a bargain!)
The new Piaggio Liberty150i has some great reviews at $2999.
Both have ABS braking and both are built to give VERY easy setting on the center stand!
Good choice to trade down - but not one you came to easily.
Understandably so.
You need to approach your scooter with a smile on your face....and no worries about its size.

Good luck with your scooter shopping!
Fish
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

fish wrote:Your instincts are correct.
Struggling with, or being intimidated by a scooter you've had for a year is not what the riding experience is all about.
A clean, low mileage Forza will be a nice trade in on a smaller scooter.
What are your local dealers selling?
Piaggio, Kymco, Yamaha, Honda and Vespa make nice 150cc scooters. Some are simple " step-thru" designs with nice flat floors for the feet.
Do demand a scooter with the latest safety features...especially ABS braking!
While you convalesce you can research and read reviews of 150cc scooters.
The Kymco LIKE150i is "scooter of the year" ($2600...a bargain!)
The new Piaggio Liberty150i has some great reviews at $2999.
Both have ABS braking and both are built to give VERY easy setting on the center stand!
Good choice to trade down - but not one you came to easily.
Understandably so.
You need to approach your scooter with a smile on your face....and no worries about its size.

Good luck with your scooter shopping!
Fish
Thanks so much for this post Fish. I appreciate you validating my feelings. I love the Forza, and was so hopeful I would grow into it, but that hasn’t happened. I kept waiting for it to be fun, as that was the main reason I purchased it in the first place. I thought as my skill level increased that would happen. Unfortunately it hasn’t and now with my recent experience/injuries I truly believe it won’t.

You are correct, I need to find a scooter that makes me smile and look forward to riding, not one that I have to screw up my courage to ride.

Thank you.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

My favourite small lightweight scooter just now is the Vespa Primavera, prettiest thing on two wheels.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018

Post by springer1 »

Your instincts are correct.
Yep. I've ridden larger bikes for 50 years, but am constantly amazed with the PCX's performance. Last week, I did a 107 mile ride, got home and rested a bit, then mowed the grass.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Have to admit that I had loads more fun on the PCX than on the Forza.
The PCX was brilliant for exploring small country back roads at a relaxed pace.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Hey Sandymay,

I have both scooters and have always found the PCX to be much easier and more fun to ride. The difference is quite striking and immediately apparent. Unless I'm going on a major grocery run or going out of town, I always take the PCX -- I don't even think twice about it.

If you plan to stay with Honda (a good plan IMO), you can trade the Forza for a PCX at your Honda dealer. Be prepared for a little sticker shock because the Forza hasn't ever been one of their biggest sellers and they've been discounting them for years (probably why both you and I bought one), but hey, it's only money, and besides, the good riding season's just starting, so your Honda shop can probably resell the Forza yet this summer at the right price.

This age and apparent vehicle weight and arthritis combo is no joke, as you've noticed. Unfortunately it doesn't improve with age, so I'd say go ahead and treat yourself to something more fun.

Best wishes and please keep in touch.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Hi Sandy, you also have to consider whether you are too old to be riding a scooter at all.

Is your body and mind up to the task?

Reality sometimes sucks but so do injuries. As someone of your age I say this reluctantly.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

i am 67 and in fairly good shape. whenI wanted a scooter, i went to a big honda and drove both.. for around town, there was no question the PCX was the answer. Pulling it up a driveway, a curb or even if I dump it was what I wanted. That means less than 300 lbs.....the PCX does that.

if I'm going long distance, I'll take another bike of mine.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI