Do you use the foot wells?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Do you use the foot wells?

Post by pattomike »

I've put 2200 miles on it, and it never occurred to me to put my feet up into the foot wells. But darned if it isn't more comfortable that way. I have long legs, and I am cramped by the seating. But putting my feet in the foot well allows me get my knees up a little higher. But if ONLY the width of the foot well was a little wider, or deeper. I am thinking about.... brace yourselves.... cutting into the plastic and extending the foot well further inside. What do you think of that idea? I can't really extend the width of the foot well to the outside because it's an unnatural fit i.e. your legs and feet would be spread out farther than the width of the bike. I don't plan on selling it so I may as well customize to fit me.
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Re: Do you use the foot wells?

Post by 87112 »

I have a Forza and the footwalls resting position was one of the reasons I went for the scooter. I consider it a luxury to have at least 2 foot positions on a scooter.
:geek:
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018 Forza 125
Color: Silver/Pacific

Post by Spaguar »

87112 wrote:I have a Forza and the footwalls resting position was one of the reasons I went for the scooter. I consider it a luxury to have at least 2 foot positions on a scooter.
+1
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
ImageImageImage
Rain
Year: 2017/18
Color: White

Post by Rain »

I use the "foot wells" or forward foot positions a lot, especially when on longer runs. It was one of the reasons I chose the PCX too.

I agree that they could be a bit wider right at the ends though.

Modifying them is a good possibility, especially as it's pretty easy and cheap to get new plastic panels for the PCX if needed.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

FWIW I would not modify the foot wells on my machine.

That said I can understand your concern for more comfort.

There's supposed to be a new version of the Forza 300 coming to the U.S. later this year I think as a 2019. Maybe check into one of those and see how the ergonomics are? :geek:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Not at 6'3.5".
Footwells are for use only by those so limited.

Sad little dudes...and angry.
Watch...
Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

pattomike wrote:I am thinking about.... brace yourselves.... cutting into the plastic and extending the foot well further inside. What do you think of that idea?
Its an extremely bad idea.
If you really have to have more leg room, sit further back.
Chopping up the plastics won't improve anything, you'll just end up with a butchered mess.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is an experiment you can do, and yes, I Do use my footwells.

First, get some cardboard. Cut it so that it fits in the foot well and comes out the distance you would like for it to be.

Next find two pieces of Plexiglas. Use the cardboard as your template. Cut the two pieces of Plexiglas using the template, one for the right and one for the left.

Now remove the rubber floor mats. You will see screws that help to hold the bottom cover in place.

Drill out places on the Plexiglas that the screws can be used to temporarily hold them on with. You might even be able to use some longer screws if you need to.

Attach the Plexiglas on both sides and go for a ride.

While you are riding, use the newly added foot rests. Try to determine if they get in the way when you come to a stop. Try to determine if you have ANY problems with them.

This experiment should give you an idea as to whether modifications would work for you before you do anything permanent.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

While you are riding, use the newly added foot rests. Try to determine if they get in the way when you come to a stop. Try to determine if you have ANY problems with them.
If it were me I'd have some concerns about cornering clearance. . .especially under certain conditions where there are elevation changes over short distances.

I flattened out the bottoms of my exhaust header down pipes (not the silencers themselves) on my old Honda Rebel not too long after I bought it back in 1985 on hilly intersections making fairly sharp turns. It certainly got my attention the first time it happened.

Just something to think about before doing any mods like that. . .. ;)

Not trying to be critical of Mel's idea. . .just making a point that ground clearance is something to consider as well if you "wing out" the lower fairing foot well area beyond stock dimensions. :geek:
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

87112 wrote:I have a Forza and the footwalls resting position was one of the reasons I went for the scooter. I consider it a luxury to have at least 2 foot positions on a scooter.
I had a Forza 300. My sh300i is more comfortable on the legs.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

Thanks. I really don't think I would do it. I have very little tools, and even less patience for such a project. But maybe I could find someone to do it. As for Mel's idea, I was more interested in extending the footwell towards the inside. If only I had just a little more room for my big toe to stand up straight. I seem to be able to handle my PCX better when my feet are in the foot well i.e., I toss it around more comfortably. You can't sit back on the seat because of the design. It's either sit in the butt pan, or sit much further back on the passenger seat. If only the entire butt pan could be moved back. I just don't see how that is possible, though, because the frame narrows once you get past the butt pan. do you like how I am making up phrases?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pattomike wrote:I've put 2200 miles on it, and it never occurred to me to put my feet up into the foot wells. But darned if it isn't more comfortable that way. I have long legs, and I am cramped by the seating. But putting my feet in the foot well allows me get my knees up a little higher. But if ONLY the width of the foot well was a little wider, or deeper. I am thinking about.... brace yourselves.... cutting into the plastic and extending the foot well further inside. What do you think of that idea? I can't really extend the width of the foot well to the outside because it's an unnatural fit i.e. your legs and feet would be spread out farther than the width of the bike. I don't plan on selling it so I may as well customize to fit me.

Go for it. Do you have a bread knife?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Patto - you are pretty tall, and you are willing to try most anything. Might I suggest you find another seatpan on ebay and have a local guy build you the seat you need? It WILL cost you some dough, and might look odd being built up another 3 or 4 inches, but it would put your butt where you want it and relieve the cramped position that you find yourself in. It has the added benefit of taking some of the shock that the shock absorbers let through, making the ride more comfortable. A motorcycle seat guy will spend whatever time it takes sculpting just exactly what you want before covering it with just exactly what you want, and put gel or memory foam or whatever exactly where you need. The pain of the expense will fade pretty quickly.

I find that with my feet back, I can come up a bit if an unavoidable road irregularity comes along and so not pummel my spine quite so badly. I seldom use the front position.

We had the Forza seat redone because I really did not like being down "in" the scoot, and the Admiral wanted to be able to see over me. It was money well spent.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I'm 6'3"+, and I test sit every scooter before buying. That's pretty basic procedure. (cars too, I skipped Toyotas and Hondas because of the pitifully small entry openings to driver's seat)
I made them unbox my Piaggio Liberty far enough to sit the seat before I would commit to purchase.
Man, you gotta fit the seat - or don't buy!
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

You say that you want to go inward on your foot position but there is a major part of the frame just behind the plastic at that point. I have taken my PCX apart multiple times, and I have pictures to prove it. You would have to raise the foot area to get over the frame, which may cramp your ride even more.
Here is a picture of my 2013 PCX torn down. They may have changed the frame some, but I think you will still have the same problem trying to go inward. You should be able to zoom in on this picture to see what I am talking about.
My bike torn down.jpg
My bike torn down.jpg (364.52 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I rarely place my feet forward. There's just too much stop and go here - traffic lights, stop signs and all. I'm Always on the ready. When/If I get to a stretch of road without this p.i.t.a. interference (and if I remember) then Forward they go
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Mel! Yer bike's nakid again! Get'er dressed :lol:
Err but Wait...is there a forum rule? No nakid bikes? Let me check :lol: :lol:

Seriously: since you've unwrapped her a few times how long does it take you to put her back together again? (Unscathed, I hope). Inquiring, curious minds want to know (mine)

A little humor
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 946 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

WN, one hour. I have taken as long as 2 hours when I am adding new lights.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm Always on the ready.
X2 ;)
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

fish wrote:I'm 6'3"+, and I test sit every scooter before buying. That's pretty basic procedure. (cars too, I skipped Toyotas and Hondas because of the pitifully small entry openings to driver's seat)
I made them unbox my Piaggio Liberty far enough to sit the seat before I would commit to purchase.
Man, you gotta fit the seat - or don't buy!
Fish
well that's about as helpful as tits on a bull.