NCY transmission kit installed today.

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

neb4152
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

NCY transmission kit installed today.

Post by neb4152 »

Sorry so long but new parts pose new questions.
If you saw my other post about my first kit, you'll know the wrong secondary slider was packed with the rest of it. That has been refunded and a new one arrived yesterday with all the correct parts. Not from Scooterworks USA this time but from Corsportusa. $259 US. free shipping. excellent! Installed today. New belt, variator and drive face, 13gram rollers, clutch, spring, and secondary slider. Some questions, specifically about the secondary slider (driven face). On the inside where the pins connect the two halves, there are two sets of pin grooves, each set at different angles. Anyone ever had any benefit from different rotation angles? I've tried both sets of grooves today and had negligible benefit. Right now it is set on the 45 degrees grooves and I don't really want to get into that again today or any time in the future. I've included a picture of the "instructions" that came with it regarding this. They really don't explain what one or the other will do for the rider or scooter performance. Any ideas?

I've also decided 13 gram weights are too light. High revs before any movement which I didn't initially like. Acceleration was slightly increased. Top speed on the flat roads 2-3 mph less than stock, although downhill was above 70 -- a new record. Climbing hills was difficult with the 13 gram sliders. 10mph loss from bottom to top at highway speed. Put my well used OEM 18 gram weights in the ncy variator. YES 18 grams! Back to original performance through the power range; maybe slight increase in acceleration. Don't know about top speed. I'm thinking in the future I'll switch the 13s to 15 or 16s. 18s are what I'm comfortable with for 7000 miles but I'm needing more starting acceleration and more consistent speed above 60mph (but rarely near max speed). And fyi the 13s are back in for another try.

I assume all of these parts have a break in period and performance may change over the coming weeks.

Pleased so far. Monday I'll know for sure when I fight traffic on my way back to work.

If I was to remove my tall wind screen and/or top box, any benefit for acceleration or top speed with this kit?

Thanks for reading.
Attachments
Scan0001.jpg
Scan0001.jpg (399.13 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Re: NCY transmission kit installed today.

Post by Eiron »

neb4152 wrote:... If I was to remove my tall wind screen and/or top box, any benefit for acceleration or top speed with this kit? ...
I've been using the Yuminashi kit on my 2015, but I've had both the Honda OEM tall windscreen and Shad 39 liter top box on since installing the variator kit. I saw a top speed increase from 63 mph (rev limited) to 73 mph (power limited), and fuel economy increase from 110 mpg average to 115 mpg average (using Mobil 1 15W-50 in both engine and final drive). Acceleration improved with the variator kit and all accessories installed.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

So if you think the take off revs are a bit high why not use the 1000rpm (black contra spring) that comes with the kit. I tried that, but found it engaged the cutch immidiately on opening the throttle so went back to the stock spring. To avoid confusion I only used the variator, 13g rollers, and the driven face parts of the clutch assy. I didnt use the NCY clutch pack or the bell. If you did use those parts but kept the stock spring could there possibly be an issue with the clutch shoe springs being different than stock and not playing well with the stock contra spring?
Assuming you changed all the parts for the NCY stuff I would expect them to work perfectly in concert?
Did you use any stock parts or what?
What seems odd is you found the scoot accelerated faster with the stock (18g) rollers, the opposite of what I and the rest of users here found to be the case. It seems weird that if you used the entire kit and the supplied 13g rollers you wouldnt be seeing great results from top to bottom.
In my own case I saw faster accel and higher top end with the bike going into gear at around 12-1500rpm, perfect. (NCY vario, 13g rollers, NCY driven parts, Stock OEM clutch pack and spring)
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
neb4152
Regular User
Regular User

Post by neb4152 »

What I've learned over the past few days is my ideas about what I expected or maybe even wanted was flawed. I had little knowledge of each part of the cvt, what they do individually and together, and how that'll balance affects engine efficiency and performance . Lots of research since I installed it all. I do not know acceleration up to 60mph is much better with all the ncy parts installed. Top speed on the flats is less (maybe 2-3mph) which I don't completely understand, more down hill, and much less up hill. Before I change anything with rollers, I'll probably choose the other groove on the driven pulley, compare it to the oem groove which I expect to be curved, and try to find some info on the affect of that groove angle on torque. Seems like my only real issue with any of this is uphill power loss. But power is back once I head down again. Right now it is still new to me but I'll never learn anything if I don't actually do it and ask questions, and research what I am doing.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Weird. All I experienced was gains throughout the rev range and an 8mph bump at the top end using just the parts previously described, we dont really have 'hills' here in florida but bridges and entrance ramps seem faster using the butt dyno method.. Aside from the ramp angle's effect on things I was wondering how the sliders did vs the rollers in your application?
My PCX mod build here..
neb4152
Regular User
Regular User

Post by neb4152 »

Sliders VS rollers? As in the variator? Never had sliders. Considered them but don't want to risk scratching the ncy variator coating. I've heard that is possible. I've only had oem 18g rollers and now 13g ncy rollers in the kit. Why belt do you have? Mine is the honda oem bando belt but it is new. I'll open it up this weekend and inspect everything, check my grease and belt for premature wear. Only a couple hundred miles since install.dont expect too much. N
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Sorry my bad. There are 2 threads running concurrently, hence the confusion. The other thread is here, http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8759
Sorry I got my threads mixed up. Yeah I use the stock belt, changing my rollers and belt next week after 10k miles.
My PCX mod build here..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

At 10k miles on your belt you will see a slowing of your bike. Put a new belt on, let it seat, and watch the topend climb. :-)

Even with the stock variator, changing the rollers from 18gm to 13gm should give you a quicker takeoff.
Remember that the NCY variator and drive face together allow the belt to travel out farther, which in turn should allow you a higher Topend without having to increase HP by other means, such as a BBK.

Installing BBK will more than likely mean you will have to add some kind of fuel regulator. It is a slippery slope there because you may end up adding even more to stabilize idle, etc.

I loved Dave's bike after he upgraded it with a BBK, but he did stop at a certain point that others may not have found satisfactory. Have a realistic goal. Otherwise you may find yourself trying every kit that is on the market and still not being satisfied with the results.

What I love about this little bike is the quick response and handling while in the city, and the fact that it can still run all day on country roads, only stopping to sip some fuel ever so often.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

"At 10k miles on your belt you will see a slowing of your bike. Put a new belt on, let it seat, and watch the topend climb. :-)"

I know Mel, thats why I'm changing it lol. I have the 13's already, just thought I'd change them too since the belt's being changed, it should be interesting to see what wear they have after 10k also.
My PCX mod build here..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Keep us informed on the roller wear. I am curious as to how long they last before needing replacement. I have read of others who eventually changed them but I can't recall how long they lasted.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Will do Mel, there ought to be some wear at 10k. By Thursday/Friday I should have em changed out. Also got a new 'HiFloFiltro air filter' for $10 off ebay, was very happy with the last one so I'll change that with the belt and rollers too.
My PCX mod build here..