Hi everyone... NCY Variator kit?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rain
Year: 2017/18
Color: White

Re: Hi everyone... NCY Variator kit?

Post by Rain »

Yes Mel, I was aware of the rubbing problem [?] with the Teflon coating. However, when I saw the NCY guy installing them on his variator, it started me thinking. If the guy who is part of the NCY team uses the Dr Pulley instead of the NCY product, there has got to be a reason.

Anyways, I will try them for a while myself just to see how they go. I have two spare NCY variators.

Another thing I noticed with the NCY variator and 13g rollers is more vibration and more noise from the CVT, especially the vibrations at idle. The new setup is definitely not as smooth as the stock one.

However, this downside is offset by the stellar improvement in take-off, incline climbing and top end.

Today I overtook a couple of trucks on the expressway at 120 kph with no rev limiter to slow me down...heheheh....

It's a BIG step down from the 1000cc sports bikes I used to enjoy, but I find that the little scooter is very relaxing to ride and there is much less chance of me losing my licence.

R.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

It may just be your kit. I have aproximately 3000 miles on the full NCY kit and still no vibration, no rubbing, it's perfect ....just the advantages of better acceleration and Top end. I can't tell any difference between this and the stock unit in terms of Feel/vibration......using the 13g ncy rollers.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Keep us informed on how the Sliders are working out with the NCY variator. I am curious as to how long that combination will work together.

Also note that sometimes you will get vibration if the clutch pads are glazed. These types of vibrations occur as you are accelerating from a stop. As far as vibration while stopped though, I haven't had any. Oh, wait, I did have some vibration while the kit was seating. Then it went away. So, give it a little time and then give us a report on how everything is going. I am always interested in how well that kit performs.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Rain

Post by Rain »

Ok, will do.
Rain

Post by Rain »

I've done a couple of hundred kilometers with the NCY and 13G rollers on the PCX now. The vibration has lessened at idle, and the extra performance is nice.

I'm still waiting on the Dr Pulley 13G sliders though, postage from overseas is pretty slow.

I received the full NCY kit from the NCY guys and pulled it apart to grease the bearings and check everything out to make sure it was ok.

I won't fit it until I have tried the Dr Pulley sliders out in the NCY variator instead of the rollers that I currently have fitted on the PCX.

As I always use the same "race" method to seat the piston rings in the bore the engine has loosened up nicely with over 1000 K's on it.

For a little 153cc motor, it gets along surprisingly well in the city and suburbs.

R.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Update please.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

We have had the NCY variator in my wife's bike for at least 2 years now and all has been well with it.

My wife took it out for a ride a couple of days ago and reported a gap between the 20 and 30 mph, and it sputters before catching. (Her words). My first thought was the rollers, but I am now thinking about the gas. I added SOME new gas a week ago, but it has had the same OLD gas, about 3/4 of a tank since the accident in September of 2015. I have some Seafoam in the shed that I think I will add tomorrow. If that doesn't work I may be forced to take her bike out and run the heck out of it till the old gas is gone.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Seafoam works wonders on bikes with old gas, especially if you can get most of it out. Is the PCX difficult to siphon?
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

Post by d1ckyh »

3 yr old gas? is it still gas at that point?
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, it runs on it so I guess it is still gas. I have taken her bike out. Few times in order to keep it running well, and it always impressed me. My wife is more sensitive so maybe she is feeling something that I have gotten use to. Like on a motorcycle, I give the throttle a quick 'goose' to make the revs come up before I accelerate from a stop. She doesn't. Different riding forms may mean that I would overlook something that she would feel.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Rain

Post by Rain »

Finally received the sets of 13G Dr. Pulley sliders this afternoon, so I wasted no time in removing the NCY rollers and installing the sliders in the NCY variator.

After I assembled all the parts and buttoned it all up, I went for a quick ride around just to see how it felt and performed.

Well, those Dr Pulley sliders are really quick off the mark, easily as fast as the NCR rollers.

Acceleration up hills is very good, but unfortunately I had no time or opportunity to give it a long run on the freeway to test the top end. Too late in the day.

I will definitely do a report after the sliders have bedded in a bit more and I have tested the top end, etc.

So far, they are very impressive.

I installed them @ 1500k's so after a couple of weeks hard running we shall see what happens.

R.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Glad to hear that they have worked out so far. A longer ride should seat them and give you a better feel. Sliders have always been reported as better than rollers. The problem has always been between them a coated variator. Long term riding will be the judge as to whether this problem has been worked out.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Looking fwd to hearing the results.
I was also wondering if the teflon coating is really that important, other variators seem to get along ok without it. Anyways I have a new set of rollers on their way, but also a set of sliders with about 1k on them. One thing I have learned is basically the take off point is important and too much leeway (free play) betwwen the throttle and the clutch is really just wasted revs. Ideally the scoot should take off right after idle, a bit of a dilemma since I personally find I prefer some free play. Some clutch tuning may be on the cards. The 1000 rpm (black) contra spring I found to gove very little free play but performance wise it's spot on. The alternative is to lighten the clutch shoes by removing some material opposite the pivot points by way of drilled holes or removing material after the pad, hmm a combination of the 1000rpm spring and drilled holes might be the sweet spot performance wise and give just a little free play.
My PCX mod build here..
Rain

Post by Rain »

Hmm, like you, I have a very limited amount of free play in my twist grip.
I prefer it that way.
Just as long as the revs don't rise when I full turn the handlebars and there is the slightest amount of FREE play in the throttle suits me best.
Old racer habit, I guess... :D
My concern is not the teflon coating, the variators from NCY are cheap enough to buy if I need a new one.
It is getting the weight of the sliders correct that concerns me more.
I chose the 13G sliders because I wanted to have an equal comparison between the NCY rollers and the Dr Pulley sliders, both at 13G.
That way I can first compare the two and then when I see which performs the best, play with the weights and springs later.
I have a new full NCY kit ready to go into the PCX, which I hope to install as soon as I have finished the testing with the rollers/sliders.

Looking at all this from a little distance away though......it's really not such a big deal. A bit more speed, a few kilometers/miles is nothing much on a scooter.

We aren't on the Island or GP circuit somewhere, for me and for most of us I guess it's that we just like to play around with our machinery... :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Rain, that and we would all like to be able to keep up with traffic when the road starts to incline. The rollers/sliders just help us keep ahead of the leadfoot behind us at a light.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

"for me and for most of us I guess it's that we just like to play around with our machinery... :D"
Yessir, you got that right!
Well I thought I'd experiment too a little today. Mel you'll be pleased to know the NCY rollers had no flat spots and were surprisingly good considering 10k miles of use. Not so much the teflon coating in the NCY variator though which had worn away on the exact roller path. I changed the rollers for sliders of the same weight (13g), put on a new belt, and the NCY 'ultralight' Clutch bell. The clutch pack (OE) didnt show much wear on the shoes so I left that in, cleaned the driven face bearing and put on a dab of fresh moly grease. I'ts dinner time here so I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.
My PCX mod build here..
Rain

Post by Rain »

@ K2 and Mel, etc..

Looks like we are all on the same page.

So the NCY rollers have worn the teflon away in the variator.

Very interesting.

Not really what I expected with no flat spots on the rollers, K2.

Now you are running Pulley sliders and no teflon, correct?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Yeah the teflon had definately rubbed away along the roller path after 10k, the paths are still smooth though, not concerned at all. Dr Pulley sliders are in, same weight, new belt, and I put on the NCY bell as well. Havent ridden yet will report tomorrow.
Rollers were in surprisingly good condition on removal.
I'm still running the stock clutchpack and contra spring. I did try the 1000rpm contra as mentioned before and didnt like the immidiate take off above idle, however I could lighten slightly the clutch 'shoes' opposite the pivot points by drilling a hole, or by changing the shoe springs with a lower rating. Ideally a little free play but more than the NCY contra gives you, we'll see after a ride or two.
My PCX mod build here..
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Well heres an update: NCY Variator with 13g sliders, new belt, and NCY clutch bell. Meh' its a mixed bag. About the same on acceleration, top speed is down some, much smoother though and definately way smoother on the overrun. I'll stick with this for a week then switch to a new set of rollers to compare.
My PCX mod build here..
Rain

Post by Rain »

I squeezed a run in on the freeway yesterday between a couple of heavy downpours of rain, just had to see if the Pulley sliders were good or not.

Take off in traffic after lane splitting to the front of the cars at the lights was great, only the very determined driver in a hot turbo could hold me.

On the freeway with 110 Kph posted speed limit I was able to pass cars at 120 kph but that was the limit. No more power. The scooter would hold 120 0n the flat stretches but drop off slowly to around 100 on longer steeper inclines.

Fairly close in performance to the NCY rollers, but I feel that the Dr Pulley sliders did it all a bit easier.

Stock Honda clutch and spring used, stock outer face with the NCY inner used on both test runs.

One hour each way between my home and destination, same distance and time return.

Not a definitive result, just a seat of the pants test.

Sliders felt a little smoother overall than the rollers.

Also, I felt that the sliders held 120KPH easier than the rollers, and held that top end speed longer. Close to 75 mph. Not too bad for an almost bone stock

little PCX 150.

R.