Hi everyone... NCY Variator kit?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Hi everyone... NCY Variator kit?

Post by Mel46 »

That result is about what I would expect. Mine top out at around 75 mph.

If you have the taller windscreen it should help you when there are not a lot of cross winds by diverting the wind around you. Other than that I can't think of much more that you can do for performance without spending a lot of time and money. Still, for a little scooter it does well with just those changes. You really can't ask for much more.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

I wish we could find the NCY in Europe but up to now no luck. Importing from the states for ex would cost 50% of the retail price in taxes and duties here in belgium - (had the joke with a 50 USD order from partzilla which was taxed 25 Eur) - Geez. I had the Malossi Multivar but I'm not too fan of that one.
What a pity.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Well without wishing to complicate matters for those on the fence, there's a definate improvement in smoothness with the 13g sliders, however its not revving high enough at WOT. Even with a long run the ear dyno would guess around 7-7,500 rpm tops, it definately revved higher with the 13g NCY rollers. Hmm, so looked back a ways to an earlier thread and found Sendler had recommended the 11-12g sliders which now makes perfect sense. Next I'll remove the 1g inserts I fabbed from some aluminum tubing for the 12g sliders and try that. Strange indeed, it would also be my guess that the so called 'ultralight' NCY clutch bell maybe a bit heavier than the stocker and that's also why the scoot is smoother on the overrun, engine braking not nearly so intrusive, I'll weigh it and the stocker next time out. Stay tuned, lots of messing around, I intend to give around a week for each mod 'increment'...next up, the 12g sliders instead of 13g. So far the 13g NCY rollers are best performance, 13g sliders much smoother and refined feeling, but less top end and maybe a touch less peppy on accleration.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Rain
Year: 2017/18
Color: White

Post by Rain »

I must get a Koso mini tacho to see my engine revs.

That way it won't be so much guesswork involved.

K2...I have yet to weigh the NCY clutch bell but it looks heavier than the stocker.

Let us know how the change to lighter sliders go, please.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

True, a tach would be a Godsend.
I too am guessing the NCY Clutch bell might be heavier for the reasons alluded to earlier. I will weigh the two when I reverse the mod to obtain 12g sliders again and update the thread, Maybe Tuesday. I have to work all weekend and need a bit more time with the 13g to fairly evaluate anyways. 4 x 20 mile trips to Miami and back should do it before the next installment, stay tuned.
My PCX mod build here..
Rain

Post by Rain »

I have fitted new tires, Pirelli Diablo's. 100-90-14 front, 120-80-14 rear. The rear tire is really a front reversed for better wet grip.

The rear tire was a bit of a bitch to get onto the rim, but in the end, I won.

Also fitted the new NCY full kit today with Pulley sliders. The kit has a black spring and I used the straight cut slots, not the curved ones.

A short test ride felt ok, but the kit needs to be bedded in before I can come to any conclusions.

I'm waiting on a Koso mini tach so I can see the revs as I ride. That way there will be no guesswork or seat of the pants stuff.

The only concession I made was to use the stock front variator plate as I currently don't have a tool to hold the hole less NCY one.

I was tempted to lock onto a couple of cooling fins on the NCY front plate, but those fins look awfully fragile. I could have used the block of wood or a small socket as a wedge to hold the variator, but didn't want to break anything.

I plan to give her a run on the freeway tomorrow.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

UPDATE: I did remove the 1g inserts as promised so am now running 12g sliders which are a little peppier than the 13's.. If you remember I mentioned Sendler had recommended 11g-12g if you wanted Dr Pulley sliders and I'd concurr. The scoot is still not pulling near redline even with the 12g size. I'll run these about another week then change to a new set of NCY 13g rollers and see how that feels after being on sliders the previous 3 weeks of 'experimentations'. Rain you're right about the NCY Variator fins being delicate, me I just use an electrical impact wrench. Worth mentioning with that rear tire your speedo will be showing about 2mph slow over the stocker at 65mph, so add 2 to the results or use a GPS app instead.
My PCX mod build here..
Rain

Post by Rain »

Got the Koso Mini Tach... Now for some fun :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Someone on this forum suggested a rubber strap wrench, the larger one because the NCY drive face is around 5 inches. I purchased one but haven't tried it yet.

When I put mine back together I used a wooden wedge to hold it in place. I definitely wouldn't use the clutch removal tool. The fins on the NCY drive face are just too small for it to work without possibly breaking the fins.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Rain

Post by Rain »

I have a rubber strap wrench, but it wasn't very effective in holding the plate.

I will wedge the NCY with a wooden block when I pull the variator apart next time, or use the Thai method of a small socket as a wedge.

I fitted the Koso mini tach yesterday and it works, so more testing to follow.....
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I am glad to hear that the bike performed as expected. As I mentioned before, I have read that Sliders are better than rollers, but I had also been advised not to use them with the NCY variator setup because of the coating on it. Well, that seems to be good advice until the coating has worn off, and then I guess it is open for discussion again. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Rain

Post by Rain »

I have checked the NCY variator a few times now during the testing that I have been doing Mel.

So far, there is no evidence of wear on the surfaces using the Pulley sliders, but of course, I have only done fairly low mileage on them.

As you know, it only takes a few minutes to take the variator off and check the wear on the teflon coating, so I do that after each test run.

Carb cleaner and a good wipe with a clean rag, and I can see straight away how the coating is doing.

The only wear so far is to the posts where the plate sliders work up and down.

I have read that using the 13G rollers or sliders with the stock Honda driven plate works just as well.

Who knows for sure...maybe it is a good solution instead of spending money on NCY items???

Any way I will eventually check all this out.

I believe that the latest edition of the NCY kit has holes in the outer plate of the variator so you can use the locking tool on it just like the stock Honda one.

I may try to get one of these to facilitate the process of changing plates.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If you just want your bike to take off faster you only need to change the rollers.
Changing to the NCY variator and drive face allows your top end to be higher, which will allow your bike to keep up with traffic when it is climbing hills... and of course to keep up with freeway traffic, if you take it there.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Rain wrote:Got the Koso Mini Tach... Now for some fun :D
OK, That does it, I'll order one too :)
Next swap will be the 12g sliders for the new set of 13g rollers.
My PCX mod build here..
Rain

Post by Rain »

Hey Mel, what revs does your Koso Tach show at WOT?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Update:
Okay so the new 13g NCY rollers are in, I'll report back in about 1 week. So far as the sliders go; even the 12g sliders were down on top end so I can't help thinking Sendler was right when he suggested 11 or 12g being the correct selection for sliders, having tried 13g and 12g if I was going with Dr pulley I'd be tempted to go 11g since even the 12g were not pulling maximum rpm's. (Even without the Koso it's not difficult to tell that by ear). The only percieved benefit I've seen so far with the sliders in the NCY vario is smoothness. So back with everyones favourite, the NCY 13g rollers, which performance wise have beat the 13g and 12g sliders handily, at least with the NCY Variator. The Koso tach will be here next week too, shame I didn't have it already throughout the testing though. Looking forward to Rain's testing and findings.
My PCX mod build here..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

K2, how does the tach connect, front wheel, back wheel, transmission??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Red wire to spark plug, black wire to ground. Set the button for number of cylinders and that's it. Display is powered by a watch battery.
My PCX mod build here..
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

[quote="Rain"]I must get a Koso mini tacho to see my engine revs.

Installed mine today. When set to P1 the idle only shows around 800rpm, so checked with the Honda and they say the PCX idles around 1,700 +/- 100rpm, so set the gauge to P0.5 and I'm getting 1.7-1.8 rpm's or about what it should be. Just curious about what you found and if you did any testing with it as yet?
I'm about to wrap up my testing next week so far have found sliders are smoother than rollers and rollers have more pep, even sliders 1g less are slower than the 13g rollers. Should be interesting to see what rpm's the 13g NCY rollers can pull with the new belt and if they're capable of hitting the limiter. Wished I'd have had the Koso earlier. Sooooo Any news from your end Rain?
My PCX mod build here..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Rain, are you there??

He's probably out riding. :roll:
Currently own: