Hi everyone... NCY Variator kit?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rain
Year: 2017/18
Color: White

Re: Hi everyone... NCY Variator kit?

Post by Rain »

Sorry mates, been damn busy here.

Firstly, the Koso Tach.. I had the same problems finding the correct setting.

I ran the Pulley sliders on the PCX and gave them a hard time on several runs on the freeway and around town.
They are very good, they allow very quick stop light derby starts and pull hard up the hills.

Their top end is strong and tops out about 123 KMH on my scooter.

When ever I pulled the NCY variator out after testing and cleaned it I always noticed two things..

1: there was no wear on the Teflon from the Pulley's.
2: There was always a LOT of wear on the 3 posts from the 3 black sliders.

The Teflon has been worn away by their up and down action almost completely.

This testing was all done with the stock clutch and spring [green] and the NCY variator fitted. I also used the stock Honda front plate and not the hole less NCY one.

I then switched over to a brand new NCY variator with NCY 13 G rollers, stock clutch and clutch spring and stock Honda front plate to exactly duplicate the testing setup.

I used a new set of black sliders and saw about the same amount of wear on the new posts.

With the NCY 13g rollers in the new NCY variator the performance is .... about the same as the Dr Pulley sliders.

In a blind testing setup I don't think that many riders could pick the overall difference between the two ON MY SCOOTER.

As each machine is slightly different from the factory, and depending on several different factors like location, run in, mechanical knowledge and prowess etc, etc.. in setting up, there will be slight differences in test results between different scooters and riders.

Overall however, it was a wash. The 13g rollers and the 13g sliders are so similar in performance as to be almost not worth worrying about.

Performance from a dead stop, up hills and down, and engine revs are all so close as to be a non event.

I do however think that there is some improvement to be made in the 3 post guides sliders. These tend to grab the posts too tightly and restrict the movement of the cap plate quite badly until worn in enough to slide on the posts easily without restriction, but by this time the Teflon is gone, worn away because they were too tight.

So there it is for the present, I have a huge amount of tuning work to get through here and although I still ride regularly I'm unable to do any testing until I finish this other work.

Rain.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

From what i have read on this forum, for quite a few years now, the key to performance gains when using the NCY variator is to also use the NCY drive face. I think that it is slightly heavier than the stock one, which seems to make a difference.

I am no expert by a long shot but when I first became interested in the NCY setup there was a specific note that using its drive face was one of the keys to its performance. Granted, it is not easy to grasp it when tightening, but one of the members mentioned using a strap wrench. I have purchased one now but have not tried it yet.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Mel46 wrote:From what i have read on this forum, for quite a few years now, the key to performance gains when using the NCY variator is to also use the NCY drive face. I think that it is slightly heavier than the stock one, which seems to make a difference.

I am no expert by a long shot but when I first became interested in the NCY setup there was a specific note that using its drive face was one of the keys to its performance. Granted, it is not easy to grasp it when tightening, but one of the members mentioned using a strap wrench. I have purchased one now but have not tried it yet.

Yep Mel, I'm using the pair.
Rain, I found the KOSO should be set at 0.5 for the correct reading. I'm still testing the new 13g NCY rollers out, but I was able to show an indicated 8,200 max rpm and the trans slowly accelerating/catching up to the engine before an uphill grade capped things off, which is were I'd expect things to be. The indicated speed was 67mph but you can add 2mph to that cause I'm running a lower profile tire than stock. I have no doubt with a tiny bit more room I'd have reached 70mph actual. So it all works out, 13g seems the right size in the NCY variator at least as far as rollers go.
With the right size rear tire I'd get 72top speed AT 8000-8200 Rpm's if a little slower acceleration. (the koso does move around a 100rpm's here and there). So no surprises, right on the money in fact.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

I just put a combo of 12 and 10 gram rollers in mine and changed the belt. Not sure about that combo. I whack the the throttle now and I get 8350 to 8450rpms for take off and the same out of corners. I remember Scooterman or Sendler referencing roughly 8000 rpms for stock tuning, but I don’t know if 8400 is too high? It’s still pulling hard. I didn’t get a chance to really try a good top speed run yet.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Rain

Post by Rain »

No Mel, that is incorrect. I weighed both the stock Honda PCX plate and the NCY product. The NCY was lighter.

[When tuning, I leave nothing to chance. :D ]

Yes K2, I also set my Koso like yours, through trial and error.

Generally, I have found that the NCY products are lighter than stock parts. However that depends on the product run number.

NCY are always looking to make their parts faster and better than the competition, naturally, so they upgrade their kit parts fairly regularly.

This morning I tuned a 300cc two stroke scooter for a customer. Man, does that thing fly!

It makes our 150ccPCX look like a sick dog. o_O

I've got a lot of work to do here, mates. Catch ya's all later.

R
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, as I said, I am no expert on it. When I first joined this forum there were already many members from the "other" PCX forum who had moved over to this one.

They had been experimenting with various ways to make their PCX125s faster. I seemed to have been one of the first to have bought the new 150cc version, so I asked many questions about whether parts for the 125cc would work on my 150cc and which parts gave the best bang for the buck.

From all that I read it seemed that the NCY combo with 13 gram rollers worked the best and was the easiest upgrade to make, so I followed their lead. Sure enough, changing those 3 items (variator, drive face, rollers) made a big difference in performance on mine. From then on I just passed on the news as to what worked. I know other owners in other countries have tried other variators as well, but this combination seemed to still be the best setup for those without advanced tuning experience, which is most of us.

So, though there may be other combinations that professionals prefer (like MAYBE Yuminashi), in my opinion NCY is the key to quick, inexpensive gains for the PCX, whether it be the 125cc or the 150cc.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Rain

Post by Rain »

I agree Mel. The NCY combo seems to be the best bang for the buck, definitely.

For a 153cc scooter the performance is very good with just the three NCY parts installed.

Going further seems a bit of a wasted effort generally, although a big bore kit is also a future possibility for those that require that bit of extra grunt up the hills.

I will most likely pursue that option myself in the future.

R.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

I just changed my belt and rollers at 7k miles. NCY variatod face and faceplate had zero wear which was surprizing to me, and great. Was surprised the other way that some of the rollers were deformed and worn, and one the roller channels was slight damaged from the roller not going staight up the channel. I'm going to have ride it for a bit then check it again to see if the new roller gets damaged in that channel or the wear worsens. The rolllers were the ones I drilled out so most likely compromised their structural integrity.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

I am planning on changing my 2013 PCX variator in August. Several questions:

Is there any special attention the rear wheel or clutch on the rear, needs ?

On the NYC site, they list both a complete super transmission set for $259.00 and they list a secondary slider part # 1200-1194 for $135.00 What does the complete super transmission set do ? What is the secondary slider ? What does it do ? When is it used ?

My 2013 PCX150 now has about 8,000 miles. Can I get by by just replacing the front variator and belt ? Thank You.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

OldGuywhoTinkers wrote:I am planning on changing my 2013 PCX variator in August. Several questions:

Is there any special attention the rear wheel or clutch on the rear, needs ?
On the NYC site, they list both a complete super transmission set for $259.00 and they list a secondary slider part # 1200-1194 for $135.00 What does the complete super transmission set do ? What is the secondary slider ? What does it do ? When is it used ?
My 2013 PCX150 now has about 8,000 miles. Can I get by by just replacing the front variator and belt ? Thank You.
No 'special attention' is required on the rear wheel or clutch unless you want to grease the bearing, if so use a moly grease. The 'super transmission kit' includes a new rear clutch assembly, a clutch basket, and a deifferent contra spring with an earlier release point. (I got this kit due to wanting the vario primarily, but I also had grinding clutch rear wheel bearing and the new clutch pack includes everything to take care of that issue too. Many owners of the 2013 had this grinding bearing noise issue which is the clutch bearing maybe you got lucky, regardless check anyway. The replacement contra spring I tried, but actually preferred the stock unit and changed it back)
Secondary slider I have no idea what you're talking about, but I have tried all manner of mods on the 2013 and the best combo is the NCY vario with NCY 13g rollers, either with the stock or 'super transmission' clutch pack and stock contra spring, and obviously change the belt too ..My 2 cents.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

just change the front variator snd sliders, it works fine without messing with the rear stuff.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

Just changed to NCY Variator, Flywheel and 13g rollers, but used the same belt that I had as it was under 3K miles. Not sure I like what it's doing. Take off seems less than stock, but top speed was 70MPH, but only hit that once. I'm not sure if the belt is worn prematurely, or still needs time to seat to the new setup. I'm also not sure how long that would take to seat (if at all). Do I need a new belt? Any ideas?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It does take a little time for the belt to seat with the new variator. I can't say how long, but not long. It will just surprise you one day. Once it seats you will find yourself smiling everytime you take the bike out for a ride.

I took mine out today and it was very happy...and so was I. Hopefully you won't have to wait long for that feeling to hit you as well. Did you change the drive face when you changed the variator? It is an important part of the whole thing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

Yes, that's what I meant by the flywheel = drive face (I used the wrong word and can't edit it). I replaced the 3 parts listed below
NCY Variator Assembly (Golden Pulley);NCY Drive Face (Aluminum); 13G NCY Roller Weights (20x15).

I took it out for about an 80 mile trip(s) today and noticed toward the end that I was able to get up 72 and was able to cut back on the throttle between 30-50mph. Lots of wind today so was hard to tell on the top end until I was going with the wind. Good to know it takes a little time for the belt to seat and that it will eventually wear into the new setup. I'll wait a bit before I do anything. Thanks!