Small towns and backwoods swimming holes

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Small towns and backwoods swimming holes

Post by easyrider »

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: Small towns and backwoods swimming holes

Post by Mel46 »

Very nice! What keeps the gators out of the swim area?

And then there is the snake possibility. I hate snakes and gators.

http://www.newser.com/story/259579/ratt ... n=20180522
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Enjoyed riding along ezr and surely miss being in FL ;)

Mel, I was wondering that too :roll:
"Get out of the Water...Get out of the Water!!"
Is that how this works?

A gator up on the concrete slab wouldn't surprise me either!
Scream heard....Dinner now being served :o yikes!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Residents of Florida don't consider Gators as foreboding as Northerners.Actually Gators rarely attack humans and usually only when they are nesting.Their prey is mainly fish,turtles, birds,and small mammals.Even small kids can be a target.They also tend to stay in murky,swampy,overgrown areas where they can conceal themselves.In this swimming hole the water is crystal clear and open.Very unlikely a gator will venture into such an area where they can be revealed.Remember they are stealthy in nature.I don't like them because they are sneaky,and stupid people let their dogs swim after sticks in canals and rivers where the gator goes under and waits for them.But in general not to worry, especially in open clear water.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

That above article details how stupidity gets people hurt.Leave em alone,and generally they will leave you alone.They do not want anything to do with you,but they will defend themselves.Rattlesnakes are noisy bastards and will let you know to stay away.Those rattles are pretty loud and unmistakable.They will let you know to stay away, except when you step on one during hibernation or something like that.Pygmies are the bad ones.Sometimes shit just happens but again super rare.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The places you ride don't have much traffic. . .lucky you!

Nice serene area and you don't have to travel far to enjoy it.

I've only been to Florida once and Georgia a few times. . .it does get hot and the critters are different. . .but if you don't tempt fate and have some knowledge about the flora and fauna you should be OK.

Stupid people are everywhere.

The other day I saw some guy at a gas station standing next to his truck texting or something (after he had finished pumping his gas) with total disregard for the customers who were lining up behind me to get there's. I had to ask him if he was going to be leaving soon because the person behind me wanted to fill up. He looked at me like what business was it of mine. . .then got in the truck and left. Ignorance is bliss as they say. Maybe he was tapping into somebody's WIFI. I dunno. . .. 8)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

No, there not much traffic in this part of the state, but you have to pick the best times like stay away from rush hours AM and PM and all is good. Nice hills and curves all over . Biggest Harley Davidson dealership under construction in my town and HONDA power sports is roaring.. Motor Cycle central is right here. I quit trying to figure out people.. the most dangerous animal on the planet..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Ever heard of Silver Springs? That is where the original Tarzan movies were shot. They do have gators there. The water is crystal clear. You could see the gator coming when it comes up to the boat when I went there. I'm not sure if they have them there any more, since the parks were closed due to nitrate runoff from too much building.

When I was stationed in New Orleans it was not uncommon for a gator to walk into the hanger while we were working on the planes. It would take the rest of the day for the "fish & feathers" people to gather it up, tie it up, put it in a truck, and take it somewhere else. They liked to sun themselves on the asphalt.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Silver Sps is still there. Lots of Monkeys running wild along the shore. You can take your own boat up to the springs. Gators can be trained to come to a boat for free food. Tourist attractions do train them to do that.Pollution is encroaching on most waters and getting worse now that the govt lifted pollution regulations.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Silver Sps is still there. Lots of Monkeys running wild along the shore. You can take your own boat up to the springs. Gators can be trained to come to a boat for free food. Tourist attractions do train them to do that.Pollution is encroaching on most waters and getting worse now that the govt lifted pollution regulations.
I think I visited Silver Springs back in the '70s with my parents. We were staying at the Maverick on Ormond Beach. . .near Daytona and the Rat's Hole place. It was a good time. We took the boat ride tour and I do remember the guide talking about where they did the movie stuff and yes there were a lot of Monkeys along the creek/river or whatever you want to call it. I think there was also a pen full of gators right near where you first walked in to the place too. Long time ago. . .just a teenager. . .tough to remember but I know I liked the place. :D

Oh. . .and one more thing I'll never ever forget. . .all the Portuguese Man'o War jelly fish on the beach. They looked like air filled baggies. The tentacles were long and could sting you even sitting on the edge of the shore. . .but for sure in the water. If you see one when you're swimming stay far away from that critter. o_O

While I'm I at I'll have to give the "Love Bugs" honorable mention for pasting up all the cars, trucks, and buses. Wouldn't want to ride a scooter or motorcycle when those things are flying around. . .usually in May. :roll:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Yep love bugs will be out soon.. Been stung many times diving in the Keys by those damn jelly fish and it lasts for days. Those stings are painful and after the stings the rash and itch lasts for days if not weeks.. if not properly treated as mine never were.We sometimes picnicked along the river going to silver springs and the monkeys would come down out of the trees looking for handouts, and they wouldn't accept a no !!..
megalodon
Regular User
Regular User
Color: pearl blue

Post by megalodon »

i just watched, thank you very very much, it was a nice video, watched with pleasure. hope you share more..

regards..