Forza belt life.

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Forza belt life.

Post by SteveP »

I'm almost at 16,000 miles on my 2014 Forza...time to change the drive belt according to Honda. Went and bought one from the dealer (had to order it..as expected...didn't keep one in stock). I'll be changing it soon, but am wondering how far (mileage wise) people have gone before changing it...or how far till it broke. ??? I've looked closely at the new belt...darned if I can see any of the Gold threads they must use in it...based on it's price! :D
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Re: Forza belt life.

Post by davenowherejones »

I tried to measure my old one I took off. It was exactly the same size as the new one.

Maybe I measured in the wrong spot.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mine broke at 25,000 miles.
Dealer said it was replaced at the 16,000 service but Im 99% sure they lied.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

davenowherejones wrote:I tried to measure my old one I took off. It was exactly the same size as the new one.

Maybe I measured in the wrong spot.
25,600 km as in book replacement (15,900 miles)
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I replaced mine at 17,000 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Changed the belt today, at 16,175 miles. Not to bad a job, using a home made tool to hold both the drive & driven pulley assemblies stationary while loosening the shaft nuts (which were REALLY tight from the factory). When installing the belt into the driven pulley you need to spread the pulley halves apart slightly. I inserted a thin blade screwdriver into the small gap between the halves and twisted it...that spread them apart enough to insert the new belt.

I looked at the old belt for any signs of stress, wear. Did notice what Id call some fatigue cracking between the "teeth" om the inside of the belt. The old belt width measured 1.01 inches...the wear limit specified in the manual. Interesting(?) I found the new belt to measure .988 inches wide!!!??? The new belt (bought from Honda dealer, part #23100-ktw-901) appears slightly different then the old (original) one...the "teeth" on the inside are slightly closer together and the "ribs" on the outside are wider but farther apart.

One other thing I noticed...the plastic out cover over the aluminum crankcase/belt drive cover has some foam rubber strips in it, I suppose to help absorb/insulate noise from the drive/engine. These strips seem to absorb moisture (from riding in rain, washing the scooter, or just from the air) and that causes corrosion on the surface of the aluminum. Cleaned the corrosion off with a wire brush. Going to wipe some silicone spray lube on the aluminum to see if that prevents future corrosion.

Went on a 5 mile ride after installation...everything seems to be working fine!