Lights Went Dim on KLR 650

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Lights Went Dim on KLR 650

Post by PCX150Rider »

OK. . .so maybe I'm stretching this topic but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Last Fall I put a brand new battery in my '88 KLR 650. It has always run fine. Just turned 32K miles on it.

Yesterday evening I went for a 60 mile sunset ride and noticed on the return trip that my gauge lights seemed kind of dim and as it turned dark my headlight was very dim. Eventually when I got to a traffic light my turn signal stopped blinking and then just stayed yellow. So I just kept riding as dusk became dark and did my best. The engine ran fine no matter what. . .just the lights going south. At one point they flickered bright (normal) for a split second but never again.

To make a long story short I did get home. Oncoming cars were leaving their high beams on because I don't think they were sure what I was. My headlight was on . . . but barely. Fortunately I got to a point in the ride where there were a lot of overhead street lights.

This morning I started up the bike. No problems. The lights seemed OK. The turn signals worked. . .although the right one seemed to blink a bit faster than the left one. It was hard to tell but I think as I revved up the engine the headlight dimmed a bit just looking at it. I didn't take it for a ride today. Am trying to think this one out. I'm doubting "B" voltage or a short. Maybe a loose ground somewhere?

The headlight seems to pulse a bit at idle. There was a section of road I traveled the night before that had some really bad frost heaves and it was quite bumpy so I'm wondering if something got knocked around. Since the machine is going on 31 years old it could possibly be a charging system component, relay, rectifier, etc. . ..

Anyhow, I'll just have to start at the battery and work my way forward along the wire trail to make sure everything is tight and connected and no metal to metal spots where a wire may have rubbed on the frame for too long. If it all seems OK there then I go to the tail light and rear signals. If that seems OK then I'm thinking it's charging system components.

This all came on rather suddenly. The bike looks like it's only a couple of years old. It's always garaged. No mice in it. At the end of the day I'll just roll up my sleeves and deal with it. . .. :roll:

This pic was taken of it back in 2012.
100_2681a.jpg
100_2681a.jpg (658.66 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Lights Went Dim on KLR 650

Post by Mel46 »

Pull the battery and put it on a charger. That way it will be topped off

While it is charging check the wiring under your seat and other areas where it might rub the insulation off. Many years ago I had a Honda 350 that I drove 400 miles one way. Midway through the trip my lights started to flicker. Then I had the same problems you did, until it finally quit. The bike shop took it in and worked on it for an hour before they found the problem. It seems that the wiring bundle ran under the seat area to the back of the bike and one of the hot wires had rubbed to the point that it was touching the frame off and on, thus draining the battery and shorting the system.

You may not have the same problem, but it sure sounds like it. Also, If any of your leads have a loose or corroded contact it will act the same way. Check the battery connection too...and your ground connections.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

You may not have the same problem, but it sure sounds like it. Also, If any of your leads have a loose or corroded contact it will act the same way. Check the battery connection too...and your ground connections.
Mel - Good advice! Thanks. :D

I'll just have to take my time and do all I can before I bring it into a dealer mechanic. Hopefully I'll find the problem without having to do that. I do have a continuity tester. . .time to refresh my learning on that. ;)

BTW last night I went to check the tire pressures on my Suzuki Bandit (you can just see the gauges and windshield in the above pic) and believe it or not the rear tire valve stem just broke off in my hand. I first thought I heard some "hissing" and felt some air on my fingers. . .and the more I pushed the tire pressure gauge on the valve the more it hissed. Couldn't believe it. In all the 45+ years of riding motorcycles I've never had a valve stem just break off like that. I haven't put that many miles on that rear tire either. . .been really busy. . .had it replaced in late 2012. . .so it's not like it's really old. I know tires have a shelf life but for a valve stem to just break like that makes me wonder about what else is out there on the market. You hear so much about vehicle recalls these days. My advice to anyone riding on two wheels today is to think safety first on the important things. Don't take anything for granted. :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

To continue the sob story. . .here's a couple of pics of the valve stem situation on my Suzuki Bandit. :cry:
100_4879a.jpg
100_4879a.jpg (247.91 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
100_4881a.jpg
100_4881a.jpg (346.05 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
I pulled the rear wheel and am going to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow to get the valve replaced. Still can't believe that thing broke off. It's a good thing it didn't start losing air all of a sudden on an Interstate Highway. I'd hate to bite the dust because of a defective part. . .like what happened to Robert Dunlop when his rear wheel broke at the Isle of Man TT years ago. Talk about having the rug pulled out from under you. . .. :roll:

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have had occasions back in the old days when I took my bike in to have the rear tire replaced and they used the same valve stem on the new tire. I caught them doing it and told them I wanted a new stem. The guy was not happy because he had to walk 10 feet and get one out of a box. Some people are just born lazy. Maybe you found one of them the last time you had that tire replaced.

Also keep in mind that 2012 was 6 years ago. That is a long time for tires.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It happens to bikes as they age. My main bike is immaculately maintained but on the way to changing out the battery I came across two or three additional jobs...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I did get to the bike dealership yesterday and they swapped out the valve while I waited. Nice of them to do that and it also gave me an opportunity to look at the latest and greatest from Suzuki and Yamaha. :geek:

OTD it cost me just over $30 and that included a quart of AMSOIL Dominator 2-stroke oil I purchased for my Genuine Roughhouse (PGO PMX). Good place to do business with. . .. :D

So I put the wheel back on when I got home and buttoned everything up. The most difficult part was lining up the disc brake and rotor while trying to fish the chain over the sprocket. A touch of grease added to the bearing side of the spacers and finally good to go. Restored chain slack settings and pumped on the rear brake a couple of times to set things right. ;)

Did a quick 5-mile ride to establish confidence that all was well and then brought the horse back to the stall and got the PCX. 8)

Comparing the Bandit 1200 to the PCX is like comparing a race horse chomping at the bit to leave the starting gate to an Arabian horse with a much more easy going disposition. Hoping I can get a few good day rides in before the end of the month, and before the vacationers hit the roads, in order to finally surpass the 30K mile mark. ;)
100_4882a.jpg
100_4882a.jpg (276.59 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I am curious about what you will find was the problem with your wiring. When your headlights turn yellow while you are riding that usually means that you are running on battery only. So, if you have a loose ground the circuit will not be complete, which will eventually make it so that you are running on battery only because everything goes through the battery, charging and then using the juice stored in the battery.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I am curious about what you will find was the problem with your wiring. When your headlights turn yellow while you are riding that usually means that you are running on battery only. So, if you have a loose ground the circuit will not be complete, which will eventually make it so that you are running on battery only because everything goes through the battery, charging and then using the juice stored in the battery.
Yeah. . .it's got me bugged too. I'm going to set aside a whole day to work on it soon. First thing will be to remove the gas tank and seat and go from there. . .. Will post results here though for sure. I want to be riding that thing now that the weather is finally starting to warm up. I'm hoping it's not going to be an expensive fix. Just put brand new tires on it last Fall too.

The thing is that it does appear that it was running off the battery as far as the gradual decline in the functionality of the lights. But it idled fine and the engine operation didn't seem to be effected at all. . .as long as it was kept running. The next morning it started right up like there was no problem. So the battery restored. . .as a new one should. Anyhow. . .I'm not an engineer when it comes to using electrical devices to troubleshoot charging system component failures but I can see worn insulation on a wire from rubbing on a frame or check plug in connections or lose ground wire connections.

The "Greatful Dead" did a song called "Uncle Johns Band". Something in the lyrics about "Cause when life looks like easy street there is danger at your door". When you least need stuff to crap out on you that fickle finger of fate arrives like an uninvited guest. . .. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Yeah. . .it's got me bugged too. I'm going to set aside a whole day to work on it soon. First thing will be to remove the gas tank and seat and go from there. . .. Will post results here though for sure. I want to be riding that thing now that the weather is finally starting to warm up. I'm hoping it's not going to be an expensive fix. Just put brand new tires on it last Fall too.

The thing is that it does appear that it was running off the battery as far as the gradual decline in the functionality of the lights. But it idled fine and the engine operation didn't seem to be effected at all. . .as long as it was kept running. The next morning it started right up like there was no problem. So the battery restored. . .as a new one should. Anyhow. . .I'm not an engineer when it comes to using electrical devices to troubleshoot charging system component failures but I can see worn insulation on a wire from rubbing on a frame or check plug in connections or lose ground wire connections.

The "Greatful Dead" did a song called "Uncle Johns Band". Something in the lyrics about "Cause when life looks like easy street there is danger at your door". When you least need stuff to crap out on you that fickle finger of fate arrives like an uninvited guest. . .. 8)

Or it’s just a minor electrical problem that you might fix once you get around to it.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Or it’s just a minor electrical problem that you might fix once you get around to it.
Fingers crossed!

It will be a real "hoot" when I see the machine return to normal. o_O :D 8) ;)

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Due to circumstances I still haven't been able to get to fixing the electrical problem with my KLR yet but I did spot this great video that describes some basic concepts on how charging systems work and how problems can occur. :roll:

It is helpful to me and I hope it will be helpful to others. The originator did a great job describing things very well and in detail. :geek:

Enjoy! :D

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

FWIW I found out a new stator for my KLR is over $400. Damn. Hope that's not going to be the problem. I doubt it has anything to do with the flywheel. Going to try to get into checking things out this weekend. 8)
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

PCX150Rider wrote:like what happened to Robert Dunlop when his rear wheel broke at the Isle of Man TT years ago. Talk about having the rug pulled out from under you. . .. :roll:
Brought back memories. Was my first time at the TT in 1994 and we watched the race from Ballaugh Bridge where the accident happened. Didn't see the accident (accident was 200 yards or so past the bridge), but heard it and rode past his mangled bike once the road reopened. Still recall seeing the back wheel quite vividly.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:FWIW I found out a new stator for my KLR is over $400. Damn. Hope that's not going to be the problem. I doubt it has anything to do with the flywheel. Going to try to get into checking things out this weekend. 8)

Why not get off the internet for possible problems and just clean up some connections. You might stumble across the real problem.

Then you can post that.

In detail
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Why not get off the internet for possible problems and just clean up some connections. You might stumble across the real problem.

Then you can post that.

In detail
Just found 3 excellent videos specifically on KLR charging system rework and testing. I know what I need to do now at the key points. However, chasing down a short from worn wire insulation somewhere in the frame would be a whole other endeavor if that is the problem.

Chores are keeping me quite busy. . .having to make hay while the sun shines. . . this project keeps getting pushed back. I did ride it the other day so it continues to start and run but I won't take it out of town until I test the stator output and regulator/rectifier functionality.

On another note, FWIW, if anyone is deciding to use forsythia as a boundary hedge I suggest you try something else or at least do your homework first about it's characteristics. It grows like a wild fire and is very labor intensive. . .as is wisteria. PIA lawn maintenance. :roll:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sorry about all your bike issues PCX150Rider, take your time I know you'll get it all sorted. Then maybe sell?
I read you're interested in the New re-designed Forza - Me too!
I Hope it gets to the U.S.A. in early 2019. Seems like the proper bike for us riding in our crazed traffic conditions. So I get that. Must confess other bikes, like the Zero (that's tangible) and Honda's X-ADV (not sold here) still get my attention. They're kinda wild 8) We'll see what we shall see. Time (the squealer), tells all.

Anywho, about the yard work...Love it!
BUT! the "Forsythia" you mentioned? Time consuming!
Oh My...It IS a pain in the butt! Stunning in Spring, with blooms aplenty - it's Gorgeous!
Then there's This, when those flowers fall giving way to leaves - GROWTH goes WILD!!!! (there's that word again). If a branch touches earth, It Roots! It develops another bush, and this goes on and on ....till Voila! Instant Hedge! :cry: Get the Ladder!!

My first home had borders of it. Back then I was an avid design groundskeeper. Then one year it got the best of me so I spent a weekend digging it all out. It was Sad. Regardless, I celebrated afterwards gaining yard for play and more time :P

I thoroughly enjoy working outdoors, I Always Will - "Baby, I was Born This Way"

Not my Hedge. Some Web photos
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (151.6 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (110.59 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sorry for going off path and the long post (haha, Not really) It's Me after all :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Have to wait until a bit later and things cool down. . .but I'm in ready to go on this project. It's pushing 85 degrees F. in my garage. Don't like sweat getting in my work. . ..

Old school electronic multi-tester for an old school bike. Besides. . .it will give me more time to study for this. :lol:
100_5022a.jpg
100_5022a.jpg (421.21 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Damn it's even hotter than yesterday and rather tropical indeed!

So I tried using the 30 year old multi-tester on the 30 year old bike and for some reason I wasn't getting the expected results. I'm not sure if it was me, the batteries I put in the multi-tester (after cleaning off some corrosion on the contact surfaces), or something else. I started by putting the black lead on COM and the red lead on DC 1000V, choosing 50 and then trying a read just on the battery, first off, then running. The needle moved but not where it should have. And yes the bike started right up. . .the battery is only months old.

Anyhow through frustration and just wanting to get on with it I first pulled the regulator/rectifier connector to see if the contacts looked corroded. They weren't perfect but not bad either. I plugged and unplugged it a few times to a better contact. Then I noticed that some of the electrical tape on the wiring was getting ugly so I decided to plug and unplug the red connector and redo wrapping fresh tape around those wires (sensor, ground, hot) to improve insulation and avoid vibration wear in those close quarters.

Finally and much to my surprise I figured I'd just give the battery terminal connections a turn with the Phillips and low and behold there actually was some movement. . .on both sides. Couldn't believe it. Damn I must have put the battery in, got the screws into the terminal nuts to get them on location, and then come back for the final turns. May have been distracted at the time. . .I dunno. But if that was the problem. . .or the regulator/rectifier contacts. . .then I'll be good for go and about $500 ahead of the game by not having to get a new OEM stator and cover gasket.

Going to take it out for a ride this afternoon. Will keep and eye on how quick the turn signals cycle or the brightness of the indicators. If they start to slow down I'll know I'm not getting a charge coming back into the battery and I'd better get back ASAP. Since it's daylight I obviously won't be able to tell if the headlight is dimming while riding.

Here's some pics. . .rather elementary indeed. . .but fingers crossed the problem was just poor connections.
100_5026a.jpg
100_5026a.jpg (416.07 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
100_5027a.jpg
100_5027a.jpg (328.7 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
100_5030a.jpg
100_5030a.jpg (400.6 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Time will tell. If the problem continues then I'll start with figuring out if the multi-tester is fried. :roll: