PCX Shipment

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Skyeric875
Year: 2013
Color: Black

PCX Shipment

Post by Skyeric875 »

Hey guys. Im looking to purchase a 2013 PCX within the month and would like some input. There is a girl selling a PCX about 2 hours away from me for $1,800 with 10,000 miles. Condition looks okay according to the pictures. Is that a good price? NADA has it priced at 1600, and i never paid over NADA for my motorcycles so I hope to negotiate fown to about @1400-1600 range. If I purchase it I can only get it home by A. Riding it home or B. Put in the trunk. Which brings me to do you think a PCX will lay on its side in my 2012 Honda Acorrd with the trunk open? Of course I would drain all fluids before doing so. Id rather not install a hitch and rent a trailer to use only once in a blue moon.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: PCX Shipment

Post by springer1 »

Which brings me to do you think a PCX will lay on its side in my 2012 Honda Acorrd with the trunk open
No
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Find a friend with a pickup and a set of ramps, or catch a ride down and plan on riding the scoot home. 287 pounds is not going to be a pretty lift, and I don't think the plastics would be very happy.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

I skipped over PCXs with those miles at that price, but that was a month ago. It's riding season now so everything is more. I agree with GeorgeSK, find a friend with a truck or trailer or just ride it home. You should add your area to your profile, there might be someone close who is willing to help out.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

BTW - I have around 12K miles on the odo, and it still runs like a clock. $1800 is probably ambitious, but if there is nothing wrong with the plastics, then full NADA would not be unreasonable. The 2013 is supposedly a bit faster than later years, if that means anything to you, but it has the dreaded hump (which hasn't bothered me yet).

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

springer1 wrote:
Which brings me to do you think a PCX will lay on its side in my 2012 Honda Acorrd with the trunk open
No
+1 Don't take this option, seriously. :o
Skyeric875

Post by Skyeric875 »

Thanks guys, I think Im going to suck it up and install a hitch and rent a small trailer to pull. Figured Id ask anyways
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Yeah cuz it would be waay too much trouble to drain the oil and gas and coolant and then the plastics would be like NAH!

But, on the plus side, the price sounds not bad to me. Take a look at the tires, though. At 10,000 miles the rear will need to be replaced or will already have been replaced. Front may be OK.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

If you are going to get a hitch, you might consider investing in a carrier. The cost will be only a bit more than a trailer rental, and you will have it later should you need to bring the scoot to a shop.

One example:

https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycl ... oCjzzw_wcB

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and I have 2013s and we love them. They run like a top and I would hope to get close to that price when we decide to sell them. My wife's bike has 13,000 miles plus every kind of upgrade I could afford to put on it, aftermarket seat, tall windshield, Tail Box, extra LED lights, etc. (No BBK but it does have the NCY VARIATOR set up.) Also fairly new Michelins. With all of that I might ask $1800, but if it is Stock then I would probably only ask NADA.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Skyeric875

Post by Skyeric875 »

GeorgeSK wrote:If you are going to get a hitch, you might consider investing in a carrier. The cost will be only a bit more than a trailer rental, and you will have it later should you need to bring the scoot to a shop.

One example:

https://www.discountramps.com/motorcycl ... oCjzzw_wcB

That would have been my #1 option but my Accord is only rated for 200lb tongue weight and it is only a class 1 receiver (1.25in hitch). Cannot install a class 2 or 3 with a 2in receiver. I'm going to do a little research because I would love to throw it in a back of my trunk with a few buddy's help even if I needed to remove the wheel and scratch it up a bit. A little bit of context, I am at school in Tampa Florida and live in NJ for the summer on breaks. I take the autotrain up/down the at least twice a year and would like to take it with me to drive around my shore town (parking is a massive problem).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Are you planning on taking the bike back and forth between New Jersey and Florida??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to our forum(s) :)
Is this the 2013 PCX you're considering and asking us about? https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ho ... 95782.html
I thought I'd give the others a quick look. Always better to See/Read what we're talking about ;)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the ad, price or mileage. I'm sure other's here who would say go for it. This is just my opinion. Heh, it's your earned $$ being spent.
But I'm curious, have you checked elsewhere for a used PCX? Cycletrader, or local classified's?
>> How about searching in New Jersey for a used PCX? <<

As far as transporting (the above linked scoot) from its location in Kissimmee to yours in Tampa, my thought would be to rent a U-Haul van for-a-day. You'll need to secure that scoot inside so talk to your U-Haul dealer, He may advise you how-to or even set you up. Saweet.

Get that seller to lower his/her price. Use the savings for your U-Haul rental. Bingo!

I'm gathering you will take your new 2 you scoot up North then South using Amtrak's "Autotrain" https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-95-do ... lsrc=aw.ds
That's cool!

But Wait! o_O go Back! You're seriously considering LAYING THE SCOOT IN YOUR HONDA ACCORD TRUNK? With Maybe one wheel removed? No, I didn't read that! Have a heart. Respect the Precious! Keep her intact and upright please. It's Best for ALL!

Good Luck
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

At 10,000 miles the PCX is just now broken in, so miles are not the thing to worry about. HOWEVER, the 2013 model and a few model years after it had a potential problem with the clutch BEARING going out, usually at around 10,000 miles. Not all of them had the problem.

A good way to check to see if it has that problem is to spin the rear wheel backwards (as in, the wheel will go in the clockwise direction) while it is on its center stand. If you hear a grinding noise it may have that problem. Listen to a new PCX in a dealer showroom to hear what it should sound like if everything is ok.

The cost for the replacement assembly is cheap enough...around $30...but then you have to count labor if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Read about it at the below link.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3324
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

CharlieP
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by CharlieP »

I would just ride it home if it is only two hours away. In fact I would be tempted to take the senic route and make a day of it. It would be much cheaper than buying a hitch and renting a trailer. It would also be a lot more fun.
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

CharlieP wrote:I would just ride it home if it is only two hours away. In fact I would be tempted to take the senic route and make a day of it. It would be much cheaper than buying a hitch and renting a trailer. It would also be a lot more fun.
+1
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Wait, you are transporting it from Orlando to Tampa? That's all? Heck, my wife and I took a 500 mile trip on them in one day. (Of course, we had all sorts of mods that help make the trip easier on us.) Your short run should be fun. Just take side roads and stop as necessary to rest and refresh. The gas tank only handles 1.6 gallons. That is about 150 miles. That should be just enough to tire you out.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Skyeric875

Post by Skyeric875 »

Mel46 wrote:Are you planning on taking the bike back and forth between New Jersey and Florida??
Yes I plan and driving it in NJ during summer months and florida the other 9 months. I guess you can consider me a snowbird at 21 yrs old...
Skyeric875

Post by Skyeric875 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Welcome to our forum(s) :)
Is this the 2013 PCX you're considering and asking us about? https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d/ho ... 95782.html
I thought I'd give the others a quick look. Always better to See/Read what we're talking about ;)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the ad, price or mileage. I'm sure other's here who would say go for it. This is just my opinion. Heh, it's your earned $$ being spent.
But I'm curious, have you checked elsewhere for a used PCX? Cycletrader, or local classified's?
>> How about searching in New Jersey for a used PCX? <<

As far as transporting (the above linked scoot) from its location in Kissimmee to yours in Tampa, my thought would be to rent a U-Haul van for-a-day. You'll need to secure that scoot inside so talk to your U-Haul dealer, He may advise you how-to or even set you up. Saweet.

Get that seller to lower his/her price. Use the savings for your U-Haul rental. Bingo!

I'm gathering you will take your new 2 you scoot up North then South using Amtrak's "Autotrain" https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-95-do ... lsrc=aw.ds
That's cool!

But Wait! o_O go Back! You're seriously considering LAYING THE SCOOT IN YOUR HONDA ACCORD TRUNK? With Maybe one wheel removed? No, I didn't read that! Have a heart. Respect the Precious! Keep her intact and upright please. It's Best for ALL!

Good Luck
I found it on the faxebook market place from a female student in gainesville area. Ive had good luck purchasing items on fb because people dont care to check them. NJ pcx are all brand new or almost new 2017s. Not trying to spend over 1500 to be honest. And Yes I am considering laying it down using several moving blankets and removing the rear wheel. Its the most economical and logical way I have found so far considerig the circumstances. Im going to contact the seller on friday and see if we can get down to 1400 area and Ill get a friend to drive and ill drive it home the 2 hrs.
Skyeric875

Post by Skyeric875 »

Mel46 wrote:At 10,000 miles the PCX is just now broken in, so miles are not the thing to worry about. HOWEVER, the 2013 model and a few model years after it had a potential problem with the clutch BEARING going out, usually at around 10,000 miles. Not all of them had the problem.

A good way to check to see if it has that problem is to spin the rear wheel backwards (as in, the wheel will go in the clockwise direction) while it is on its center stand. If you hear a grinding noise it may have that problem. Listen to a new PCX in a dealer showroom to hear what it should sound like if everything is ok.

The cost for the replacement assembly is cheap enough...around $30...but then you have to count labor if you are not comfortable doing it yourself. Read about it at the below link.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3324
Thank you very much for the tip. I will definately look at it when I review the bike. Maybe its another way to budge the price down :) I am fairly handy when there are directions or videos to follow, so it should be a decently easy fix. Ive got time on my hands....but not money in my wallet!