Why a WHITE helmet

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Why a WHITE helmet

Post by fish »

White and bright colors for scooters seem to be a good idea.

And I have read several places that the #1 visible item on a rider is the helmet. So, bright colors there - probably white is best for all light conditions.

But, to each his own.
To explain - a scooter rider wearing a bright jacket and helmet was struck in the side in an intersection by a vehicle driver who did not see him in time to avoid the accident.
So, following his rehab, and using some of the hefty court settlement, he bought an expensive all matte black motorcycle and a matching matte black stealth helmet.

Obviously bright gear is not fool proof - but I'd bet my actuary dollar that that jazzy looking all "stealth-black" ensemble is going to be significantly harder for a driver to pick out.

Like I said, to each his own.
It seems that we might ride, the way we ride, for many different reasons.

Search, "Are white helmets safer?"
"A study published in the World Health Organization's Helmet Manual analyzed the link between the colour of a biker's helmet and chances of his crashing. It suggested that policies that encourage white and light-coloured helmets can help prevent motorcycle crashes.

Wearing a white helmet makes the bike driver more conspicuous both during the day as well as at night, explained Madhu Khurana, chairman and managing director of a major helmet manufacturing firm. "Bike riders should wear only white or yellow coloured helmets as they become more visible, especially at night and chances of them being hit are greatly reduced. We make helmets in all colours, but eight out of ten people prefer to buy black-coloured helmets."

If a new rider is just now putting together his gear - this might give you something to think about.

Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Why a WHITE helmet

Post by gn2 »

White helmet for me every time.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

White is cooler in the sun, for sure. I went light gray this time as I didn't want to wait for a white one. I did upgrade it with 3M black reflective tape however
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There is a 16 year old new rider in our neighborhood who is JUST learning to ride. He has been trying to learn to balance on his new BLACK Ninja.

He dropped his bike twice within 30 minutes, and he can't turn yet without dropping it. We live in a subdivision that is a big circle with several cross streets in the middle. He has been riding in a circle between first and second gear for a week now and still has problems.

Why do I mention this? His father bought him the bike and his gear. Full helmet, black. Check. Leather jacket, black. Check. Leather riding gloves, black. Check. Leather boots, black. Check. Leather riding pants, black. Check.

So much for visibility. I guess his father didn't read the article about white or yellow helmets, or hi-viz clothing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I snagged a new helmet during the winter - an HJC FG-17. Matte black with hi viz accents and white. This was the first week with acouple of days when it has actually been warm, and I do think the helmet picks up more heat than my old hi-viz SS. I'm not terribly sorry - the deal was good for a DOT and Snell 2015 rated helmet, but a mostly black helmet will be warmer in the sun. Not a big surprise, I suppose, but not something that I thought of in February.
Attachments
hjc fg-17.JPG
hjc fg-17.JPG (62.28 KiB) Viewed 3498 times
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

bought white (see profile) because my pcx is white LOL.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
CharlieP
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by CharlieP »

I bought a white helmet mainly because it is cooler in the summer. If I was worried about visibility a headlight modulator or a high vis jacket would be much more effective.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

So, can you put hi-viz decals on them? Maybe that would solve the dark helmet problem???
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

CharlieP wrote: If I was worried about visibility a headlight modulator or a high vis jacket would be much more effective.
Apparently not. I think it's something to do with how your head moves more than your body or the bike, so your helmet is the most visible area.

My helmet is black. I know that a white one or a hi viz one would be better seen, but .... I bought a black one ... again. :roll:
Bonniedogsdad
Year: 2018 registered
Color: black

Post by Bonniedogsdad »

White AGV flip front, it's too big to fit under the seat but goes in the top box no problem, why white?, it is higher visibility that any other , was at the right price (offer)and I never have any other make other than AGV.
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

I delved into the subject of drivers "not seeing" motorcyclists deeply last Fall when a woman at a T-intersection was stopped and looking down at her phone, checked for traffic by looking up and straight at me--directly in the eyes--then pulled out right in front of me creating another near collision situation where I was fully alert and traveling under the speed limit with my high beam on and there was no way she missed seeing me. Being an "experienced rider" I already had an idea of what was coming and was on the brakes, but why did I have to survive so many previous near-misses to become "experienced."

Car drivers fail to see motorcyclists and bicyclists because they don't expect to see them. In short, saccadic masking makes drivers not see us. For those of you who'd rather watch a video than read:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tO0ozBIk0sw

Here's a more simplistic line of reasoning, but also valid. Note it does not explain why a driver can look you straight in the eyes and "not see you" as the previous video does, and rather explains another way drivers miss seeing motorcyclists.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QDwyqDr_9VA

Looking like a teed-up golf ball is not going to help much in the real world...if they miss seeing your moving headlight they're going to miss seeing the rest of you too.

https://youtu.be/Wvf38cnmO_k
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Interesting. It doesn't explain the drivers that are driving while texting though. They aren't even looking at the road. I can't count the times I have seen near misses of cars on cars in which one of the drivers was texting while driving. Your mind can't even take a snap shot if you don't look up. Being against the law does not seem to have much effect on many drivers.

What the motorcyclist said about making sure the road is absolutely clear before pulling out is a good Suggestion. You can't tell what a driver is thinking, so they could change lanes as you pull out. You have to act as their eyes too, and suspect that drivers will do what they should not do. Stay safe and ride with care.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I fully believe that there is something primal in the way the mind of a person in what is effectively an armoured vehicle can simply ignore the little gnat of a motorcycle (or bicycle or pedestrian). Since the object does not present much of a danger, it can be ignored.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm sort of guilty of having black and silver helmets also but when I got my new SyMax III the Hi Viz Yellow wasn't available in my size and they were on sale at the time so the rest is history. . .hope I won't be. . .at least not yet. The upside is I did compensate accordingly and get a Hi Viz Yellow vest from "Olympia".

I don't know what else can be done with a helmet for visibility short of having strobe lights mounted on top in the shape of the local currency. . .$$$. . .etc. ... :roll:

When I ride or drive I always look for two things. . .anything that moves. . .anything that looks wrong in the picture. ;)
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

My new lid. Bell Vortex XL in flat black (hey, got to love clearance!). But I definitely added some Hi - vis! It just BARELY fits under the seat.
Attachments
phpX4Q3F2AM.jpg
phpX4Q3F2AM.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
phpr4lIQnAM.jpg
phpr4lIQnAM.jpg (45.74 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Helmet looks good! Nice job with the added reflective material. . ..

FWIW I have to use the helmet leash for my FF helmets but am able to get my 3/4 open face under the seat OK. 8)
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Black

Post by ScottDR »

Thanks! Weird. My large HJC FF fit easy under the seat as well.
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Agreed, heres mine all $36 worth of it
Attachments
pgr op01.jpg
pgr op01.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 3097 times
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh No You don't!
Fess up K2,
what lid is that?
Make n Model, Sir! :D
Looks Cool!
Would you Strike a Pose for us?
Just asking ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

WhiteNoise wrote:Oh No You don't!
Fess up K2,
what lid is that?
Make n Model, Sir! :D
Looks Cool!
Would you Strike a Pose for us?
Just asking ;)