Stolen PCX125 Not Starting

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

northernmunky
Year: 2013
Color: red

Stolen PCX125 Not Starting

Post by northernmunky »

So as I've mentioned before, I have a PCX125 2013 model that was stolen and recovered. I've managed to solder back on the ignition barrel and replace all the damaged fairing. It powers on now, but when you try to start it, absolutely nothing happens. I can't seem to figure out the cause.

Things to note:
I've replaced the ignition power relay that sits next to the battery - no effect.
The winker/stop/horn 10amp fuse immediately blows when you turn the key.

The only other thing I can think of worth mentioning are that the thieves for some reason removed the bolt that holds on the left hand brake lever - I dont know why and I can't tell if theres any damage to it but does something need to be in place to complete the ignition sequence?

Also I also noticed that sometimes when trying to start it I can hear a subtle click near the engine but if you try again, its nothing but silence.

Unfortunately my knowledge of engines is limited, I've got it looking like a bike again but not much further in the way of getting it started!

Any ideas much appreciated!
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

Re: Stolen PCX125 Not Starting

Post by d1ckyh »

doesn't the handle have to be depressed for the engine to start? I always use the left so don't know if the right side will work. If fuses are blowing, I think it is a grounding issue...
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

northernmunky

Post by northernmunky »

d1ckyh wrote:doesn't the handle have to be depressed for the engine to start? I always use the left so don't know if the right side will work. If fuses are blowing, I think it is a grounding issue...
Thats right, left brake lever and then ignition switch on the right. For some reason they removed the bolt which I've now replaced but not starting.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Could it be as simple as putting your Side Stand up?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
northernmunky

Post by northernmunky »

WhiteNoise wrote:Could it be as simple as putting your Side Stand up?
Nope, not that either.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You can also start the bike by using the right brake lever. We had this discussion a year or two ago and I went out to my bike and tried it on the right. It started right up. Try that and let us know. It is possible that the left one was damaged in some way.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
northernmunky

Post by northernmunky »

Mel46 wrote:You can also start the bike by using the right brake lever. We had this discussion a year or two ago and I went out to my bike and tried it on the right. It started right up. Try that and let us know. It is possible that the left one was damaged in some way.
Tried that too, no joy.
I can see some metal contacts on the left brake lever which I'm assuming need to be in contact with what looks like a small metal plate on the lever itself in order to allow the starter button to work? (Im going from memory atm so apologies if I'm incorrect).
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Mel46 wrote:You can also start the bike by using the right brake lever. We had this discussion a year or two ago and I went out to my bike and tried it on the right. It started right up. Try that and let us know. It is possible that the left one was damaged in some way.
That's interesting, I tried it on my bike, no go on the right hand side. Maybe it's a regional thing or particular models? :? :?
northernmunky

Post by northernmunky »

JohnL wrote:
That's interesting, I tried it on my bike, no go on the right hand side. Maybe it's a regional thing or particular models? :? :?
Right hand side didnt work for me either, but I had a closer look at the left and I've worked out how it works. So its effectively a kill switch, when you squeeze the brake lever, the (lets call it a kill button/ kill nipple?) is released presumably allowing the bike to start. So that looks likes its set up correctly but non starter.
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018

Post by d1ckyh »

Due to fuses blowing, I'd got out on a limb and say there is either a loose wire or one not connected properly which may or may not be causing the starting issue but all the same should be checked. Since it is tied to the left hand side, I would remove the switch and see if all is intact. The fact they removed the bolt may be an indication they did something else????
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Battery is OK?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

On my 2013 model I believe the wiring diagram shows both sides connected together. It is possible that newer ones don't work that way. I believe that the wiring diagram also shows the circuit having a fuse on the main panel. If it is blowing that fuse then there is a wire loose somewhere that is shorting out the start circuit. Thieves have studied what they need to do to get the scooters running as quickly as possible, so they would probably connect wires directly to the battery.

It may require you to start removing panels and follow the wires. It isn't an easy task, but at least the wires have unique colors. Pull out you wiring diagram and start following wires.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Rinas
Year: 2022

Post by Rinas »

Hi I'm new to this forum. I bought a new pcx which doesn't have warrenty in my country.. pcx 160 2022.

When I presss the self start button the main fuse is blowing and it's doesn't start.. my mechanic spen 3 days now checking the ecu and wire harness and could find the fault.. can you help me what to do..

All lights horn efi and everything is working it i press the self start button the main fuse is blowing