How-To: Adjust Handlebars

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

pcx150blue
Year: 2018
Color: bliue

How-To: Adjust Handlebars

Post by pcx150blue »

Hello everyone. I would like to know how the handlebars are adjusted. I have a 2018 pcx.
Thank you
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: Handlebars

Post by springer1 »

Use tape to pull off the 4 round chrome caps from the allen (hex) bolts Or you can insert a sharp edge like an exacto knife under their edge to pop them up.

Then simply unscrew the bolts and rotate the handlebar front. The allen bolts will be on very tightly. You'll also need to loosen and rotate the clamps that hold the handlebar brake levers in the opposite direction after you rotate the bars so they are returned to their proper position.

I rotated the bars front so that the "riser" part is vertical and it really helps with my seating position.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

The following I posted elsewhere on the forum. Good luck!

Hi lightpower and congrats on joining us and owning a PCX! A very Cool looking one at that!

As far as being tall and wanting to feel comfortable on your scoot, I would first suggest that you rotate your handlebars up and forward (IF they are not already). You can do this by removing the four sheeny caps in the center of your bars.

Remove caps, reveal bolts:

1) Cut a few pieces of sticky tape (silver or black duct tape works great!) Gorilla! :D

2) Fold down a corner on each piece so it sticks to itself (these corners will serve as tab's for you to pull the caps off (and then the tape itself, later)

3) Now place the tape pieces tightly on top of each cap. Use your fingernail to push the tape into the circular crevices

4) Now the fun part :P One at a time, grab a tab and give a quick pull. The cap comes off and now found stuck on the tape, ya Don't want to lose them!

5) Well Lookie there! 4 bolts revealed and ready to be loosened.
Actually.....

6) Loosening 2 or 3 of the bolts will allow you to roll the bars up and forward.

Note: changing the positioning of the handlebar will also re-position your brake handles and mirrors. They will need adjustment as well. Easily done. Remember this will be for the better once done and it kick starts confidence.

I think I said enough. Others will have ideas (from their experience), including using loctite, perhaps getting a custom seat, etc.

Practice practice practice in a vacant Clean parking lot. Even better....take a motorcyle safety course. It's fun and the best self confidence builder. And please, wear proper riding attire. Yes, jacket and pants with armor, a helmet, boots above the ankle and leather gloves.
Okay, now I'm done :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Tools used:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.34 KiB) Viewed 7424 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

How do you remove the bigger caps on a 2018/19 as they don’t have the 4 chrome caps
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yorkie150 wrote:How do you remove the bigger caps on a 2018/19 as they don’t have the 4 chrome caps

Do you have a picture? Generally it's just a thin sharp knife with a bit of tape for protection.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Tools used:

THOSE TOOLS DONT LOOK USED!!!
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

you you wrote:
Yorkie150 wrote:How do you remove the bigger caps on a 2018/19 as they don’t have the 4 chrome caps

Do you have a picture? Generally it's just a thin sharp knife with a bit of tape for protection.

found a pic on the web of same model an colour
Attachments
2018 pcx.jpg
2018 pcx.jpg (53.89 KiB) Viewed 6636 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

https://bikerzbits.com/honda/pcx/2018-p ... dle-cover/
This help?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (94.08 KiB) Viewed 6626 times
Okay, I see Honda changed from 4 round caps to 2 rectangular caps. Lift those 2 caps to reveal 4 hex bolts. Thread lock or similar was used on the bar bolts, so be careful not to strip the heads while loosening (on my 2015 they're a soft metal/alloy).

2yous, afa tools....yes they were(still are) new when pic was taken. Jealous are ya? :lol: You should see what's in my tool cabinet. Best put yer shades on! :lol:
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

Thanks for the image...Handlebars and levers have now been adjusted and much improved comfort ...You were not joking about the soft alloy bolts....and despite using the correct size tools ( snap on ! ) one of them would not budge and just started to round off ...so it was left alone but with one loosened on each fixing the bars were able to be moved forward then re-tightened.
For info of anyone else wishing to do this - please note ...The larger single piece bolt covers on the 2018 and on PCX do not like to fit back on once the bolts have had a hex tool in them....So to make a tight fit and ensure they do not come off while riding / washing etc I used a small dab of low modulus silicone on the underside of the caps then held them down with garner tape until dry.. Secure now and easy to remove if further adjustment required.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Giving the hex tool a good crack with a hammer before using the ratchet helps loosen the thread lock.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

I did that with them all but one just would not budge —— soft toffee alloy
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Small propane torch it, then try it....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

No need - loosen just one on each stanchion and the bars spin forward on
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

So how much does Honda save by using cheese-headed bolts? Seems like false economy to me.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GeorgeSK wrote:So how much does Honda save by using cheese-headed bolts? Seems like false economy to me.

They don't use a cheese head bolt. That is something different. Did you mean bolts made of cheese as a funny?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yorkie150 wrote:No need - loosen just one on each stanchion and the bars spin forward on

What part of Yorkshire are you based?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I happened to stumble across this video that details how to remove a stubborn damaged bolt.

The task is performed on a motorcycle.

Note that I'm not recommending any procedures myself but thought it may be somewhat informative.

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Interesting approach as a last ditch effort, but if an allen (internal hex) head is rounded, your options are pretty darn limited. I guess I am used to allen head bolts being grade 8 material, and will more frequently round off a cheap wrench. Are the bolts holding the handlebar clamps alloy? That would explain soft metallurgy, esp if they use a thread locker as well.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

my 15 pcx had blue threadlock on the threads when I pulled them for a mod....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI