New user (bar a minor grumble)

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

New user (bar a minor grumble)

Post by gbru2505 »

Really enjoying the forum, thank you!!

Here's the bike :D. I've had her for almost a year from new. Previously rode an old wine Honda Fes125 and then a new Vision 110. A van reversed into me at speed on the Vision about a year ago. The bike was badly damaged but the incident caught on CCTV and the company settled. Luckily I wasn't hurt. It was a sharp lesson about knowing where the horn is in an instant - I missed! She was still under warranty, but I don't think Honda fully investigated the damage to the front of the bike. About three months later, the steering started to seize up badly. Honda agreed to trade it in and I upgraded to the PCX instead.

Really enjoying the ride so far and it's coming up for it's second service at 4K miles. I reported an irritating vibration at 25 mph, which sounded like a cably tie stuck in a computer fan, but they seemed to deal with that on the first inspection. Not sure what it was. Recently I started getting a lot of vibration on acceleration from stop. It's worse going uphill. So I'll raise that at the next service.

I do just over a hundred miles a week commuting, both winter and summer. I live in a coastal area, with one particularly sandy section en-route. So the main challenge is the risk of rust from the sea-salt, sand, storms and UK rain. I was pretty thorough preparing her for the winter with a thorough coating of ACF50 and weekly washes, but I've noticed some rust appear in recent weeks with the extra long cold snap and our heavily salted roads. I think I'll need to oil the bike more frequently and use a sprayer as well as the brushes to wash her down more frequently after mucky rides.

My essential riding kit includes:
- A set of Koss Porta Pro headphones unclipped and fixed into my helmet with velcro (£25). These are great because they simply unclip, are quite thin and have a really great sound.
- A cheap rechargable clip-on bluetooth volume controller and track selector to connect my headset to Deezer on my mobile (ebay £2.50).
- A set of Alpine Motosafe earplugs which are attenuated to keep out wind noise (£13). There's always a breeze at the coast and I like to ride with the face up on my helmet for half the year.
- I highly recommend a Zojirushi Travel mug (£25, with no taste of plastic or steel with that all-essential coffee!)

PCX likes:
- Looks good imo.
- Liquid cooled so oil lasts much longer than it did with the Vision.
- Light and easy to get up the garden path - I live on a terraced street, so we only have parking for one car out front.
- Agile and quick about town.
- Quiet.
- Petrol consumption, road tax and insurance.
- Idling stop is useful. It should be mandatory for all vehicles and busses) to improve air quality in heavy traffic.

PCX petty grumbles:
- Althought it's partly because the roads around here are deteriorating each and every year, I thought the bike would a have better suspension than the Vision. But it doesn't. The Fes was a much more comfortable ride, but then it was a much heavier bike too.
- Felt like an idiot to discover that my modular helmet would no longer fit under the seat when I upgraded the bike, but the included helmet lock and hook works just fine.
- The glovebox/phone charger tray is a challenge to get into and small.
- No open pocket to just dump something into or hang a coffee holder off. Gotta remember the flask now, which I suppose is more environmentally friendly.

Thinking of:
- Adding a larger windshield.
- Swapping out the rear suspension after the warranty is up.

That's about it for now. Really enjoy dipping into the forum. Thanks again.
The bike
The bike
PCX125.jpg (340.69 KiB) Viewed 558 times
G'Bru
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: New user (bar a minor grumble)

Post by fish »

Might need this in daily chapters?
LW'd.
Fish
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Don't forget the extra cc's you have to climb those terraces with the "life mover" :lol:

SHE LOOKS GREAT!

I had to research the Vision because it doesn't make it to the states.
Interesting scooter http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/rang ... rview.html
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck finding new shocks. I know there was a change in the 2018 model that meant the older after-market shocks would not work on it. I hope this is not true for the 2017 version. YSS shocks are some of the most popular on this forum, so when it is time to purchase them just ask the members where they can be found. I don't think our warranty is voided just because you changed out the shocks, or added a windshield. Ask the dealer, but it wouldn't make much sense to say that you couldn't improve your ride if you wanted to.

If you want a cup holder, there are quite a few on the market. I'm sure we can point you to that as well as other nice addons.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks for returning and sharing your views, report style. Interesting indeed. Keep on keeping on! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gbru2505 »

fish wrote:Might need this in daily chapters?
LW'd. Fish
Too long? I'd been saving it up for you.

G'Bru
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gbru2505 »

homie wrote:Don't forget the extra cc's you have to climb those terraces with the "life mover" :lol:

SHE LOOKS GREAT!
Thanks! This is what a terraced street is in the UK. It's not steep, just means the bike is parked inside the gate. There's a saying in the UK 'it's grim up north', but you need the right accent for it to work.
Terraced Street.jpg
Terraced Street.jpg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 488 times
G'Bru
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gbru2505 »

Mel46 wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Thanks. Yes, I've been reading about the shocks already on here. I'll ask Honda at the next service. Coming up in a couple of weeks.
G'Bru
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Looking forward to comments/pics when you add the new larger windshield. :geek: