Howdy and a question

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RSTX
Year: 2017
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Howdy and a question

Post by RSTX »

Howdy from Texas. I own a Yamaha FZ 07 and ride as much as I can. Recently my son has expressed an interest in riding so we rented a scooter for 24 hours. It was an absolute blast! Now I'm looking at 125-170cc scooters for him. I've located a 2015 PCX with 2200 miles/3540 km on it. The dealer is asking $2200. Out the door will be close to $2500. Is this a fair price? The bike is in good shape with no major issues. There are very few used PCX's around to compare with.

Slightly off topic, I really enjoy seeing people from all over the world on here. 8)
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018

Re: Howdy and a question

Post by Cube »

That is in the same range as the craigslist PCXs I saw here in CO. Edit: I just checked, there's a 2015 with what I think is the Honda top box for $2800. Here's the link if you want to compare: https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/hon ... 02558.html
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

RSTX wrote:Howdy from Texas. I own a Yamaha FZ 07 and ride as much as I can. Recently my son has expressed an interest in riding so we rented a scooter for 24 hours. It was an absolute blast! Now I'm looking at 125-170cc scooters for him. I've located a 2015 PCX with 2200 miles/3540 km on it. The dealer is asking $2200. Out the door will be close to $2500. Is this a fair price? The bike is in good shape with no major issues. There are very few used PCX's around to compare with.
I bought the 2015 PCX150 and it would be the oldest model I would consider. That is a very fair price for the latest revision of the Honda scooter. Over earlier models your son will benefit from LED lighting all the way around. He will have the latest redesigned low friction ESP engine, a more desired (humpless) saddle and we must not forget the GLORIOUS brake lock!

Make sure the bike in question was in fact made in 2015 not late 2014. The 14's were a mix match of something in between and variable hybrids have been noted around the world. 2014 was an odd duck but shouldn't be very many found in the US. I will post a picture of where to look on the bike for confirmation.

here is a general overview of the differences between 2015 and earlier models.
Attachments
honda pcx.jpg
honda pcx.jpg (286.88 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Howdy and welcome :)
RSTX wrote:I'm looking at 125-170cc scooters for him.
Quick question, have you asked him what sort of bike he wants?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
RSTX

Post by RSTX »

Thank you for the replies. This is the PCX I'm looking at. Sounds like it is a good deal. http://www.cycleshacknorth.com/default. ... dInventory
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Looks to be in mint condition, if its the bike he wants get it bought pronto. ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
RSTX

Post by RSTX »

gn2 wrote:Howdy and welcome :)
A fair question. My son is a 19 year old student at Texas A&M University. Yes, we have talked about them and looked at/sat on many. The scooter we rented was a 50cc Genuine Buddy. It would only do 40 mph top speed. This will not be ridden on the freeway but we have a 55mph zone near us that runs for about 2 miles then becomes a 45 zone. A small, 50cc bike just won't move him fast enough.

He liked the simple functionality and most of all the on-board storage of a scooter over a motorcycle but did not like the overall look of the Buddy. Too round. He likes the way the PCX looks. It is about 1.5 hours from our house to the dealer linked in my reply above but we have a local Honda dealer that has a (gorgeous!) new 2017 blue PCX that we have sat on. My son likes it a great deal. We have not ridden one yet. I'm trying to schedule a time to get to the selling dealer.
RSTX

Post by RSTX »

gn2 wrote:Looks to be in mint condition, if its the bike he wants get it bought pronto. ;)
The "funny" thing is it has been there for several months. I'm hoping if I go in paying cash they will knock off a few hundred.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Made in Vietnam 2015 on the column.

OH!... You and your son will certainly benefit from an online forum that will serve every maintenance procedure and mechanical issue possible for FREE if you choose Honda so don't buy any dealer coverages offered... we got this. Parts are cheap and readily available if there's a scratch or ding just ask.
The first thing I would do is full service by the book which will be in your PM today.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... wokgYeAxFP
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (134.14 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Last edited by homie on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

No harm in asking.
Hereabouts dealers sometimes don't give any discount if you want to pay with actual folding cash because they incur charges to pay it in.

Keep us updated how you get on, pictures please!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

What? do you think the kid is an idiot? Not want a PCX??
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

RSTX wrote:
A fair question. My son is a 19 year old student at Texas A&M University. Yes, we have talked about them and looked at/sat on many. The scooter we rented was a 50cc Genuine Buddy. It would only do 40 mph top speed. This will not be ridden on the freeway but we have a 55mph zone near us that runs for about 2 miles then becomes a 45 zone. A small, 50cc bike just won't move him fast enough.

He liked the simple functionality and most of all the on-board storage of a scooter over a motorcycle but did not like the overall look of the Buddy. Too round. He likes the way the PCX looks. It is about 1.5 hours from our house to the dealer linked in my reply above but we have a local Honda dealer that has a (gorgeous!) new 2017 blue PCX that we have sat on. My son likes it a great deal. We have not ridden one yet. I'm trying to schedule a time to get to the selling dealer.

Get it bought. You might enjoy it.

Nothing wrong with a cheeky offer ;)
RSTX

Post by RSTX »

flyingzonker wrote:

What? do you think the kid is an idiot? Not want a PCX??
:D Well, he is a 19 yo male. So, there's that. :lol:

I will be happy to ride it, too. The FZ is a fun ride but I really, really enjoyed the scooter. Had I tried a scooter first I might not have purchased a motorcycle. Until I started looking actively I thought all scooters were Vespa-like. I'm learning a LOT.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Please do consider that your son takes the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. Very important no matter what you ride. :geek:

And yes. . .the PCX is great. Always test ride or sit on and do intensive research before you part with the cash on a specific brand, size, or model. People come in all different sizes and some scoots or motorcycles are built with certain market segments in mind. That being said Honda sells a lot of them. They perform well, are good on gas, and just plain look cool. Do the maintenance IAW the Service Manual recommendations for best results or have a dealer mechanic do it. The valve adjustment is always a good topic for discussion. :D

I've got both a Genuine Roughhouse and a 2017 PCX. I bought the Roughhouse first and rode it for a couple of years before I bought the PCX. The Genuine Buddy 50 or Roughhouse 50 2-strokes are good for up to a little more than 40 MPH. You can get more out of them but stock that's about what you can expect as you already know. I still use my R50 around town but usually more in lousy weather or Winter. I plan on keeping my PCX a very long time and want it to last and look like new for years. 8)
RSTX

Post by RSTX »

PCX150Rider wrote:Please do consider that your son takes the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. Very important no matter what you ride. :geek:
Absolutely. In Texas if you take the MSF course you are not required to take the written and riding test to get a motorcycle/scooter endorsement. Very handy. It is strongly recommended and a great idea. Also you get a break on insurance.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi RSTX!! have you decided?
"What's it Gonna Be"...the 2015 White with low mileage?

I'm here to tell you that the PCX would make a Great bike for a beginner "After he/she takes their rider course!" You, (thank you),... just said above,.... that he will. Hip-hip!! :P

I'm also envisioning You riding it just as much as your son. "Coin Toss?"
Better to buy 2 @ dealer, demand a discount, or free Service Manual (a must have), maybe a windscreen or top box, heh! A free 600 mile check up???

Oh yeah, love me a sale!
I'll be back to read that You own not one, perhaps 2. Yeah, "it could happen!" :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

As far as I know there is very little, if any, difference between the 2015 model and the 2017 model, aside from the color. There aren't that many panels on the PCX 150 and they should be interchangeable, which means that if he wants a blue one he could just order the blue panels for about $250 - $300. The big advantage of the 2015 model is the price difference. Buying the 2017 model would probably set you back $4K OTD.

Now let's talk about accessories. Don't buy them from the dealer. They will cost you twice as much as you need to spend. Many of us ride with a tall windshield, though you can also get a medium size one. I would recommend the tall windshield plus a Tail box, mainly because your son is a student, and I know there is a lot to carry as it is without him having to think about rain gear and other things (like a bike lock).

We can point you to the best place to get just about anything you might need from now on, so just smile and know that you have come to the right forum.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
RSTX

Post by RSTX »

WhiteNoise wrote:I'm also envisioning You riding it just as much as your son. "Coin Toss?"
Until he has taken the MSF course he will only be allowed to ride around in a parking lot and our low traffic neighborhood. No highways or busy streets. So, yeah, I will be taking it out. I am seriously considering selling/trading my FZ for a Yamaha Xmax 300cc scooter. Those are very nice. If I can find a lightly used Forza I might go that route.
RSTX

Post by RSTX »

[quote="Mel46"}We can point you to the best place to get just about anything you might need from now on, so just smile and know that you have come to the right forum.[/quote]

Thanks, Mel46. I doubt I would change out the panels just for looks, but it is good to know they are easy to replace. I'm hoping the underseat storage will be sufficient to hold a full face helmet and a jacket. Is this so? I can put a rear rack/box on but like the clean look without.

Really enjoying the forum thus far. Thx!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I do not know if you can put a full helmet under the seat on the 2015 model, but I would assume so. However, keep in mind that there would not be enough room for the helmet, jacket AND extra books, plus rain gear and cold weather gear in the winter.

Just so that you are aware of it, there is a base that comes with a Tail box, and the Tail box is removable from that base when you do not need it. The tail box has a key, and a button. That is how easy it is to remove.

On another note, once you get your bike and a service manual (once again, just ask), you can do your own oil changes and adjust the valves yourself. That way you may not need to use the dealer very often. I only use them when I need new tires...That I order on the web.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers