Fact or Fiction ????

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Fact or Fiction ????

Post by easyrider »

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Fact or Fiction ????

Post by PCX150Rider »

B.S. Technology. . .and I don't mean a degree from college. Of course all this electro-mechanical stuff is designed to break over time and need the "Service Department" to come to the rescue. Increased wear and tear on the engine? Probably. The lube does have to circulate. . ..

How many times have your heard, "My tire pressure sensors must be corroded. . .they don't work anymore", "My ABS light keeps coming on. . .the sensors must be corroded. . .or who know's what else. . .hope it doesn't cost too much to find out what the problem really is", "Oh. . .that window stays up all the time. . .the power window motor needs to be worked on or maybe water got into it", "Something is jammed in the door lock and I can't open the door anymore with the button", and the list goes on. Life was much simpler when it was a radio speaker that would cut out or the latch on the glove box needed to be bent back because someone slammed it too hard.

Like I've said before. . .the auto manufacturers and gadget makers are using these vehicles like a Christmas Tree to hang more stuff on the branches and let the Marketing Department try to convince us that we can't (shouldn't) live without it. How did we ever get along before.? 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:B.S. Technology. . .and I don't mean a degree from college. Of course all this electro-mechanical stuff is designed to break over time and need the "Service Department" to come to the rescue. Increased wear and tear on the engine? Probably. The lube does have to circulate. . ..

How many times have your heard, "My tire pressure sensors must be corroded. . .they don't work anymore", "My ABS light keeps coming on. . .the sensors must be corroded. . .or who know's what else. . .hope it doesn't cost too much to find out what the problem really is", "Oh. . .that window stays up all the time. . .the power window motor needs to be worked on or maybe water got into it", "Something is jammed in the door lock and I can't open the door anymore with the button", and the list goes on. Life was much simpler when it was a radio speaker that would cut out or the latch on the glove box needed to be bent back because someone slammed it too hard.

Like I've said before. . .the auto manufacturers and gadget makers are using these vehicles like a Christmas Tree to hang more stuff on the branches and let the Marketing Department try to convince us that we can't (shouldn't) live without it. How did we ever get along before.? 8)
I’m getting on with it fantastically now.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm glad somebody is a happy customer. Good on you!

Roughly how many miles on yours now? Any issues or surprises with coolant level?

My PCX is running fine as well. . .but it's still early in it's product life. No auto-stop/start on U.S. version however. 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

PCX150Rider wrote:No auto-stop/start on U.S. version however. 8)
Because of ignorance.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

gn2 wrote:
Because of ignorance.
I don’t want any of this in a bike or a car/ pickup.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

springer1 wrote:I don’t want any of this in a bike or a car/ pickup.
Me, I'll have stop/start with the ACG starter please.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:
Because of ignorance.
On Honda! Every new car in America has this feature .. Maybe Honda watched this Aussies video ??
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

On Honda! Every new car in America has this feature .. Maybe Honda watched this Aussies video ??
Not sure what you meant. :?

My 2017 PCX didn't have auto start/stop. . .just the emergency break. . .which actually comes in handy on hills or very windy days. :D

My 2018 Honda Fit Sport with 6MT did not have auto start/stop. . .for which I am pleased. :D

So ?????. 8)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Gn2 references ignorance of America not accepting modern so called advances in start and stop technology.I question that assertion because all new car manufacturers are now installing this feature in cars.Not sure why Honda does not install this feature in their motor bikes going to Ametica assuming it's a marketing and price issue not ignorance.I personally think it's unnecessary and complicated technology that serves little value or progress .Saving fuel is negligible,and emmissions are not critical.One burp out of My Etna puts that idea to bed.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:Gn2 references ignorance of America not accepting modern so called advances in start and stop technology.I question that assertion
This has been addressed before, it was a while ago though.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... =20#p19409

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/saf ... 13hem.html
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I don't see how this is ignorance , but more of a concern of a potential safety issue, and not sure this references motor bikes made by Honda.The video was made by an Australian and not an American in regards to viability.
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Think of the auto stop/start from a safety standpoint.
If something happens to be coming your direction, would you rather have the engine running
so you can maneuver out of the way, or have to wait for the engine to start before you can
get out of the way?

I'll keep the motor runnin'!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:not sure this references motor bikes made by Honda
Its the reason Honda left idle stop off the north american model.
Almost ten years have passed and some of the links from back then no longer exist.

To address the issue raised in the video, testing exists to drive fuel consumption down and it works.
As an illustration look at the development of my own bike, the SV650.

The SV650 motor is a good one to look at because it has been around for two decades so has been subject to a few changes in emissions testing.
In that time it has become much more efficient, more powerful and significantly more economical.
The main driver for the improvement in economy is the Euro regs, the sort of emissions regs your YouTuber rails against.

N.B. these are real-world figures, not test results

Carburettors fitted at launch 53.7mpg (44.7USmpg)
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview ... owerunit=2

Euro3 brough Fuel injection reducing consumption 61.4mpg (51.1USmpg)

Euro4 drove consumption down even further 68.4mpg (57.9USmpg)

Fossil fuel is a finite resource, faster we use it up, faster its gone. Fact.
Emissions testing regimes reduce fuel consumption and drive increased efficiency. Fact.

Random australian with a website doesn't like stop/start, that's simply his opinion.
And opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one! :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

dgnyberg wrote:Think of the auto stop/start from a safety standpoint.
If something happens to be coming your direction, would you rather have the engine running
so you can maneuver out of the way, or have to wait for the engine to start before you can
get out of the way?

I'll keep the motor runnin'!!
The PCX motor can start faster than the average human can react.
Leaving the engine running probably wouldn't make any difference to the outcome.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Random australian with a website doesn't like stop/start, that's simply his opinion.
And opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one!

Not sure that the Aussie is saying that there is no benefit, but the complexity of using an electric assist motor and a host of other components add up to a nominal or negative savings especially if a repair is involved. Dino reserves are now + 300 years availablity and finding more every day. Electric will be mainstay in the next 50 years and dino will be on its way to being obsolete in the transportation segment. As far as emmissions , we have other concerns outweighing start and stop will ever cure. One burp from Mt Etna will create more toxic emmissions than all the cars in the world.. Not that I am against technology personally , however I am for the consumer and the little guy who has to pay the price and burden of technology that is utilized if mainly used as a marketing hype and to raise the cost to purchase and to maintain. The best engineering is the simplest , and to make small gains at a high price may just not be worth it. Time will tell as there will be no getting away from it.The race is on.. The next will be driverless vehicles, perhaps fuel cell . solar and so on.. Whats good and bad only time will tell. The Aussie has his opinion and he just may be right !!!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and I went out to test drive new cars yesterday, just for the heck of it. There were so many sensors and gadgets on the new ones that I felt somewhat overwhelmed. We finally looked a a 3 year old car that didn't have so many of the extras on it, and had an actual key to start it. Much better. Those new safety things might be a good thing for some, but I think they can confuse other drivers, especially those of us that did not grow up being over-stimulated.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Another opinion
Amen. . .. ;)

I totally agree with that guy. :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Those new safety things might be a good thing for some, but I think they can confuse other drivers, especially those of us that did not grow up being over-stimulated.
I know what you mean. o_O

The first time I heard the lady's voice come through my sound system telling me to fasten my driver's seat belt it totally took me by surprise. I'm so used to just seeing an idiot light on the dash display. That being said I was just moving my new Honda Fit around to park it in a different spot in my driveway. I wasn't going to travel anywhere so I didn't fasten the belt. It's a nice safety feature. . .just didn't expect it. Thought I read enough of the Owner's Guide already. Stupid me I guess. :lol: