Seniors & shingles

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Seniors & shingles

Post by fish »

Since we're talking medical stuff here, now.

Any of you guys of the correct age - this might be of some interest.
In 2018 a new two-part shingles shot became available. The new shot is 80-90% effective in preventing shingles.
The old shot was no more than 50% effective in preventing shingles.

A 70 yr old relative of mine had had the early shingles shot. He came down with a horrible case of facial, scalp & neck shingles. 5 days later he died of a heart attack after 3 days in the hospital.

Each shot, with insurance, is costing me $43. Without insurance it might be 3 times that price.
People who come down with shingles would pay ten times that not to have shingles.

Something to look into.
Fish
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: Seniors & shingles

Post by springer1 »

Thanks for the heads up - I got the first version, can I also get these 2 new ones as well ?
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Along with my pension cheques I also received the added bonuses of both pneumonia and shingles this winter. Getting old is not an easy proposition.
Looking forward to spring.
Coastal Mountainer
Color: black

Post by Coastal Mountainer »

springer1 wrote:Thanks for the heads up - I got the first version, can I also get these 2 new ones as well ?
Yes.
2014 CTX 700dct Red (glad I got it)

2013 PCX 150 Black (wish I could have kept it)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I heard it can be painful from what people who've had it told me. Knock on wood I've been lucky so far. Hoping to survive any possible consequences from all the sunburn I got as a kid. :roll:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I knew that it was coming but my doctor told me to wait until Medicare covered it since it wasn't that long ago that they discovered that the original shot protection only lasts 8 years, which was a surprise to everyone. I don't know what the waiting is going to accomplish for Medicare patients because it seems to me that they are the most vulnerable. I am going to check with my doctor to see if it is now available. He also told me that my pharmacy has to give me the shot because Medicare does not cover the doctor giving it. Since when did the pharmacies across this country become doctors??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

springer1 wrote:Thanks for the heads up - I got the first version, can I also get these 2 new ones as well ?

Check with your pharmacist or doctor.
But I was told that yes you can get the new shots even if you've had the previous shot.

With the new two-dose shots > Shot #2 is to be not less than 2 mos nor more than 4 mos after shot #1.
Fish
Last edited by fish on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:I knew that it was coming but my doctor told me to wait until Medicare covered it since it wasn't that long ago that they discovered that the original shot protection only lasts 8 years, which was a surprise to everyone. I don't know what the waiting is going to accomplish for Medicare patients because it seems to me that they are the most vulnerable. I am going to check with my doctor to see if it is now available. He also told me that my pharmacy has to give me the shot because Medicare does not cover the doctor giving it. Since when did the pharmacies across this country become doctors??
Go with your doctor's advice and wait - unless you're not young.
If old, don't argue with who sticks you --- just get the shots. (+ saves you the 2 hour wait to see the docotor)

Fish
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

fish wrote:
Mel46 wrote:I knew that it was coming but my doctor told me to wait until Medicare covered it since it wasn't that long ago that they discovered that the original shot protection only lasts 8 years, which was a surprise to everyone. I don't know what the waiting is going to accomplish for Medicare patients because it seems to me that they are the most vulnerable. I am going to check with my doctor to see if it is now available. He also told me that my pharmacy has to give me the shot because Medicare does not cover the doctor giving it. Since when did the pharmacies across this country become doctors??
Go with your doctor's advice and wait - unless you're not young.
If old, don't argue with who sticks you --- just get the shots. (+ saves you the 2 hour wait to see the docotor)

Fish
Plus the doctor gets to charge you for the visit, plus the shot, the bandaid, the alcohol, cotton ball and fee for time spent with that gal who is not really any kind of a nurse ( surprise!)
Or sit in a folding chair and have the pretty pharmacist give you the shot while you eat a Snickers.
Your choice.

Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I'm old but I trust my pharmacist. It's is just strange that they are giving shots when they didn't go to school to do that. Next the grounds personnel will be doing our proctoscopies!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Nothin too technical about giving a shot.. Those vaccines are usually prepackaged and pre dosed . Pull the cap- stick- inject and bandaid.. Done.seeing a lot more nurse practitioners and PA's for sure these days though.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

I had part one of the new shot last week. It was free under my employers health plan. I am supposed to get the 2nd one after 2 months minimum and 6 months maximum. As I retire on Friday, and will then be on Medicare, the Dr said the 2nd one's co-pay would be $15 - $25 or so. Cheap insurance for what it can prevent!
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Had shingles twice, and it's no fun, takes about three months to fully recover. Luckily here in Oz the shots are free for people over sixty five.

I also give myself one or two shots of insulin a day, nothing very scientific about it apart from finding a spot that doesn't have a hard lump from too many previous injections, plus finding a spot that doesn't have nerve branches directly underneath the skin. That really hurts.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:I'm old but I trust my pharmacist. It's is just strange that they are giving shots when they didn't go to school to do that. Next the grounds personnel will be doing our proctoscopies!
In Army medic training we gave 2 injections to an orange. Then we pushed each other around the room with 20 yr old dull government re-usable needles.
There were 4 oranges for 50 trainees.
We had 8 hrs on bed making, 2 hours on performing a field tracheotomy with a ball pint pen and a can opener.
Highlight of all the training, and most popular class, was the color film of a natural birthing in a basement, on news paper.

Apparently most of the guys had never seen a naked baby.....or something.

My point is - most of medicine is just basic plumbing.....and not throwing up.

(I birthed only one baby in 'Nam. And by golly, he was naked. (near Ban Me Thuot)

Doc Fish
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

fish wrote: A 70 yr old relative of mine had had the early shingles shot. He came down with a horrible case of facial, scalp & neck shingles. 5 days later he died of a heart attack after 3 days in the hospital.

Fish
And you ask: Are you old guy going to go out and get yours?

Not after I have read your original post, the operative part (for me) of which is reproduced above. But then, I am one of those curveball (screwball?)types who don't really have faith in the literature that the medical professionals wrap their costly wares in. I have seen friends in hospitals fed 3 and 4 different kinds of antibiotics 3 or 4 times a day who finally were not only not cured of what they came in with but received the additional burden of a superbug C-diff infection that made their last weeks a living hell.

Sorry, but I came away from said experiences with a hearty, "Fuck you!" to professional medicine and a burning conviction that there had to be a better way. I may not have found the whole way yet but have learned a lot about prevention, hygiene, nutrition, traditional and other alternative healing modalities, have not gone to a doctor for decades and hope to keep on in this exemplary manner to the end.

That being said, I can understand how others with positive experiences are going to greatly differ with me. I had a friend who suffered a heart attack one fine morning in her 60th year. She had no idea what was happening. "I feel worse than I have ever felt!" she said to her husband, who without a word, got her into the car and down to the emergency room. The cardiac doc came in, checked her, told her she was having a heart attack and needed surgery NOW. She agreed, they went in and cleared the blockage. It saved her life. Ever after that she went to doctors for everything. And who could blame her. I would have too.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I have found the fountain of youth! No more quacks and side effects for me brothers. I swear if you want to feel like you did in your 20's and you don't mind paying a few bucks out of pocket (insurance is no good) that's a scam you need to avoid and the tit the system wants you sucking on forever. I paid enormous medical bills and watched the system draw down on my insurance for years. They always get paid and I never got better. I recently gave up on a bunch of quacks, pain killers and injections including my Primary care physician and went to what I formerly thought was witch doctor practises. Out of sheer desperation and dissatisfaction I discovered I don't need modern medicine at all. There's better way to get your life back... Naturopathic.

Here in Illinois these Naturopathic services and doctors will be added to the list of typical medical practices as choices soon and they really work! We have a entire University teaching Naturopathic sciences here in Chicagoland with whole health centers branching into Florida right now. Who knew how easy it is to finally find people who can fix things you thought the quacks would never. Stop the drugs, stop the circle jerk of doctors handing off to each other and bilking your insurance and get some real help with your issues. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I believe that by eating a plant based diet, avoiding dairy (with a few exceptions now and then), and moving and grooving (exercise) one can improve or maintain what is already good health.

Also I think salt can cause kidney stones and too much charred meat from BBQ grills can contribute to pancreatic cancer. . ..

I may be delusional but if I'm still here in another 30 years I will have lived long enough to find out if the PCX U.S. version will finally get a rear disc brake. 8)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

...... ROFL
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I too, eat only things that eat plants....and plants.
No more wolves or jackals or eagles for me!
For health issues, I go down to the river and talk to the gal beating rabbits on the rocks and hollering to the spirits.
No, wait that was a movie....

Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I am a naturopathic guy myself however many Rx drugs today are derived from plants and nature. The drug industry traveled the worlds cultures and found out what cultures cured what. They took the curing plant and synthesized the molecules, cleaned it up and tested to find best amounts for efficacy. For example: aspirin is taken from the willow tree bark .. If you like you can go in the woods and strip off the bark from a willow tree . boil it up in water and drink the liquid in essence you are taking an indian pain reliever..AKA Aspirin.. Penicillin also derived from nature ie mold. Statin also a mold taken from a particular plant in SE Asia.. red rice yeast. The difference is the amounts are regulated and put into a convenient pill form..this is what costs the money..The production.. The next item and the biggy is the legal ramifications.. Just about every drug made is in some place being sued by an attorney and in some cases in every state. These costs are entered into the production costs associated with the drug.. That's why in other countries medicine is cheaper.. Legal challenges are not as inherent.Sooo in many cases you are taking a plant derived cure but its amounts are regulated and in put in a convenient form. Not all but many .. Taken in large amounts plants can really harm you and even kill you.. Hibiscus, Oleander plants etc apple seeds are arsenic just to name a few.. Be careful !!!