Forza 300 gas gauge accurate?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Forza 300 gas gauge accurate?

Post by 87112 »

My used 300 forza has a stuck gas gauge, meaning it will cycle upon starting than is stuck at 3/4 all the time. Its still under warranty but the dealer says if they find out its stuck because of poor work by the previous dealer who did the recalls on the bike I will have to cough up the money for repairs since Honda will not pay them back for the work. I did find out the previous owner took it in for all recalls, this is the 15 Forza.

so just live with it being 3/4 and not have a chance of paying out of pocket or just use the good old tripmeter. I am leaning towards tripmeter but it is nice to have a working gas gauge?

Or does a gas gauge eventually with miles stop working anyway? I have never had a scooter or motorcycle past 12k miles.
:geek:
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Forza 300 gas gauge accurate?

Post by davenowherejones »

When new the Forza gas gauge does not move for the first 100 km, the next 100 km it drops to 0 and the final 100 km shows empty until it actually is empty.

I use trip A and make sure I fill before 300 km.

I have 70,000 km on mine.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

^^^^^ What Dave said ^^^^^

Hi, 87112,

Even the Forza gas gauges that work right aren't accurate at all. Almost everybody on this forum, me included, reports that their gauge tends to go to "empty" way too soon, so most of us have learned to rely on our tripometers instead. I start looking for gas at 180 miles, and I've never been able to put more than 2 and a half gallons in even at 180. (Capacity is 3.04.)

So, knowing what I know about Forza gas gauges, if I were you I wouldn't bother fixing it.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The analogue fuel gauge exists purely for aesthetic purposes to balance the look of the dash.
As a device for reporting the fuel level it is completely and utterly useless.
Fortunately the fuel consumption meter is very accurate so learn to use that instead.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Yes, the fuel pump/ float assy was probably installed incorrectly when recalls were done. The fuel
pump assy could probably be re-positionned properly, though (It's not that complicated to remove
the related plastics and luggage box, I found).

Then that gauge is near useless even when working -- designing an accurate gauge for such a
weird-shaped fuel tank was almost impossible, anyway. Mine is like the other ones : stuck @ F for
100km...then dropping rapidly to E...with 4+ litres left in it !!. After a while, one learns to keep
an eye on the tripmeter, too.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The analogue fuel gauge exists purely for aesthetic purposes to balance the look of the dash.
As a device for reporting the fuel level it is completely and utterly useless.
Fortunately the fuel consumption meter is very accurate so learn to use that instead.

For the sake of balance the fuel gauge probably does record, in some way, the fuel level of the scooter.
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

I think I will not mess with it and just live with the gauge at 3/4 stuck and use the tripmeter.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Has your dealer suggested any reasons why the gauge sticks at 3/4 level?...and if any reason "could" be linked to poor work at any recall?..thats the implication?
As the bike is still under warranty I would want it fixed...even accepting the general limitations of the gauge. I find that even with its limitations seeing the gauge in the red is a reminder to me re refuelling....
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

I will be responsible for the diagnosis fee of 1 to 1.5 hrs if the dealer finds out it was stuck due to poor workmanship from prior recalls.
And than the entire bill of that fee and fix will be on me.

They did explain other reasons why it could be stuck but in my mind all I was laser focused on was a bill handed to me.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

dergav wrote:Has your dealer suggested any reasons why the gauge sticks at 3/4 level?...and if any reason "could" be linked to poor work at any recall?..thats the implication?
As the bike is still under warranty I would want it fixed...even accepting the general limitations of the gauge. I find that even with its limitations seeing the gauge in the red is a reminder to me re refuelling....
I would want it fixed to. Running out of gas in the middle of nowhere could cost a lot more than whatever the possible repair fee.

I have occasionally forgot to reset the trip meter. The needle in the red is enough to scare me into immediate action.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

87112 wrote:My used 300 forza has a stuck gas gauge, meaning it will cycle upon starting than is stuck at 3/4 all the time. Its still under warranty but the dealer says if they find out its stuck because of poor work by the previous dealer who did the recalls on the bike I will have to cough up the money for repairs since Honda will not pay them back for the work. I did find out the previous owner took it in for all recalls, this is the 15 Forza.

so just live with it being 3/4 and not have a chance of paying out of pocket or just use the good old tripmeter. I am leaning towards tripmeter but it is nice to have a working gas gauge?

Or does a gas gauge eventually with miles stop working anyway? I have never had a scooter or motorcycle past 12k miles.
Attachments
Here's how it looks, under the 'box' :<br />(1) fuel float/sender<br />(2) pump<br />(3) battery<br /><br />Float rod is probably touching pump's mesh
Here's how it looks, under the 'box' :
(1) fuel float/sender
(2) pump
(3) battery

Float rod is probably touching pump's mesh
20180321_110641_LI.jpg (938.92 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

20180321_184710.jpg
20180321_184710.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
aguim wrote:
87112 wrote:My used 300 forza has a stuck gas gauge, meaning it will cycle upon starting than is stuck at 3/4 all the time. Its still under warranty but the dealer says if they find out its stuck because of poor work by the previous dealer who did the recalls on the bike I will have to cough up the money for repairs since Honda will not pay them back for the work. I did find out the previous owner took it in for all recalls, this is the 15 Forza.

leoper
Color: white

Post by leoper »

fuel gauge works bad

i reset the trip when tank is full
i look the consum : if i get 25 km/l , i can do 250 km with 10 liters, and full tank is about 11,5 , so i have 1,5 liters in my bike
if i get 19 km/l, i can make 190 km....and i have 1,5 liters in my tank
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

leoper wrote:fuel gauge works bad

i look the consum : if i get 25 km/l , i can do 250 km with 10 liters, and full tank is about 11,5 , so i have 1,5 liters in my bike
That's the way I operate, too. Quick & easy to figure out. But I've never seen 19km/l. More like 30
most of the time, with lowest at 26 on a very frosty day. Best was an unbelievable 38 @ 100km/h
on a perfectly nice day on a perfectly nice road...with no traffic, please.

Keeping a litre left is keeping that pump cool, Good idea.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

So would a good side to side shake get things working? Or a bumpy road? Or speed bumps?
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

davenowherejones wrote:So would a good side to side shake get things working? Or a bumpy road? Or speed bumps?
Who knows !!

Maybe hitting a tree ?
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

I wouldn't try the tree method. It might fix the gauge, but it tends to be hard on the front suspension and plastic parts.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

I meant : hit it wfo.
leoper
Color: white

Post by leoper »

aguim wrote:
leoper wrote:fuel gauge works bad

That's the way I operate, too. Quick & easy to figure out. But I've never seen 19km/l. More like 30
most of the time, with lowest at 26 on a very frosty day. Best was an unbelievable 38 @ 100km/h
on a perfectly nice day on a perfectly nice road...with no traffic, please.

Keeping a litre left is keeping that pump cool, Good idea.
i have 17gr dr pulley sliders and yellow malossi springs, temperature is about 0º and only city and about 4 km, 4 times a day

i know is the worst use i can do, but it´s what i need

with this use I get about 20 km/l
aguim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aguim »

0 deg C/ 4km = running near full (electronic) choke all the time ! Me thought Spain was HOT as
HELL !!