Won't start. New battery. All lights turn on except headligh

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MBinPC
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Re: Won't start. New battery. All lights turn on except head

Post by MBinPC »

I have EXACTLY the same problem. 2011 PCX won't start. Dash lights come on, no headlight, no check engine light.

I rode it 2 days ago no problems. It was in the rain that day, but started right up when it was wet and rode home. Parked it and now I have the same exact problem described on the thread. Please advise!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I dont know what the outcome was for this issue but the one weak part for the PCX that I have found has been the battery. Sometimes, after it has been in the bike for a while, it just stops producing enough juice to turn the starter over. It always seem to happen with no advanced notice.

Try to jump start the bike and see what happens.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
MBinPC

Post by MBinPC »

Battery is only a few months old. The turn signals and brake lights come on strong as ever but no headlights. Dash lights up, but not the engine light. It almost seems like the kickstand ignition override switch is malfunctioning.

Very strange as I rode it 2 days ago with no issues.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

As others have stated, the MIL light is supposed to show warning blinks indicating what is wrong. If that is not working, then the ECU harness (plugs) and perhaps the ECU are suspect.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Mel46 wrote:I dont know what the outcome was for this issue but the one weak part for the PCX that I have found has been the battery. Sometimes, after it has been in the bike for a while, it just stops producing enough juice to turn the starter over. It always seem to happen with no advanced notice.

Try to jump start the bike and see what happens.
+1
MBinPC

Post by MBinPC »

I was really hoping the first person to ask this question would respect the forum enough to follow up and post the solution. The bike has a brand new battery. It ran perfectly one day, won't start the next. This exact same issue was on another thread here also with no follow-up resolution post.

I'm going to check the ECU harness. Thanks for the direction.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I am not trying to be a difficult person, and you may be right. It could be the ecu.

In my lifetime so far, I have had 2 brand new batteries go dead shortly after purchasing them. Both had dead cells. Neither was caught at the factory. It happens.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

When this happened to me, it was the plugs into the ECU (as I mentioned in the third post on this thread). I never added anything to my thread (https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7878) because Mantis has run flawlessly since I put the plastics back on.

Hopefully you will have the same success. When you do get the plugs apart, maybe hit the tabs with a dab of dielectric grease (NO-OX-IDE or some such, https://www.sanchem.com/electrical-cont ... icant.html, available at Amazon of course).
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
MBinPC

Post by MBinPC »

Charged and tested battery. Not the issue. Doesn't even try to crank. Feels like the kickstand or brake starter safety is not engaged as nothing happens. I do hear the fuel pump sound, but no headlight, no ML light. The harness is a bit more work, but it is my best shot before I have to haul it to a dealer.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

On that year model your headlight won't come on until the engine is running. I wonder if you would hear the fuel pump if one of the switches was bad. There have been members in the past who found that the side Stand switch had gone bad. It is closest to the road grime.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

MBinPC

Post by MBinPC »

UPDATE: Easiest fix ever. Remembering that the scoot had been in the rain a few days before, I decided to try an easy fix before disassembling to get to the ECU. Sprayed a little WD-40 into the kill switch housing. Waited a minute and she started right up!! Just a little water in there had made it lose the connection. Runs like a champ...as always. Thanks for the suggestions and hope that this helps someone else in the future.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Wow, the kill switch? I thought those things were waterproof. I guess you should carry a small can of WD-40 with you from now on, just in case you get caught in the rain and you are not close to home. Are you planning on trying to replace it sometime, or just go with it until it finally gives up...someday?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Excellent news. A far easier fix than taking the scoot down to her skivvies to get to the ECU, and certainly should be high on the agenda of the next hapless soul who hears nothing when the starter is pushed. I'll certainly file it away for next time.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Kill switch issues were common on the 2 stroke Stellas. I actually put another switch on it’s ground lead ( put it in the glovebox ) so I could disable mine if trouble arose. The most prevalent trouble was rain closing the contacts and activating the switch.
rogeraanderson
Color: candy apple red

Post by rogeraanderson »

Just bought my low mileage candy apple red 2013 PCX 150. Wrestled into a trailer and hauled it home. Next morning would not start. Checked forum and read all above postings. Narrowed it down to rear brake lever not signaling to starter button. Accidentally tried to start by squeezing right brake lever and fired right up. This morning checked left brake lever and found small wires into switch/sensor below brake cable had come loose out of the rubber base( I may have accidentally pulled on wire harness along with handlebars while loading). Anyway carefully reinserted the two wires into the little connection tubes, applied a couple of drops of CrazyGlue on the outside rubber cover and taped over with two rounds of electricians plastic black tape. All secure now and starts with no issues.
Thanks for all the threads that helped get me to the final troubleshooting step.
somsak
Year: 2012
Color: red

Post by somsak »

similar problem. parked the bike up, 2 hrs later won't start, or turn over. checked the side stand kill switch found that the 2 wires + sleeve had broken/ worn though on the frame. Easy fix, twisted the wires together . or so i thought, now turns over won't start. no fuel pump noise.
speedo needle swings, check light comes on then goes out.

the 2 wires go directly to the ECU. Is there a way to check the ECU.
All fuses good.
accyuklad
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: black

Post by accyuklad »

strange that it wont start when you connected the wires

you could remove the wires on the ecu and spray wd40 and reconnect and try again
somsak
Year: 2012
Color: red

Post by somsak »

Thats's what i thought. The kill switch isn't fused, the wire [s] will have gone to negative on the frame, since they go to the ECU i'm assuming it's blown something in there. doesn't seem to be a way of checking it. Got the bike back home today , will check for a spark and power to the fuel pump first.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 08.06.59.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 08.06.59.png (455.01 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Check your wires for continuity. The green is always ground. Both sides of that switch go to the ECU. See if you can pull the plug to the ECU and make sure the wires have a good connection to that plug.

There can also be multiple issues at the same time, so check your other switches as well (such as the left brake switch, which for some reason has more problems than the right one most of the time). Look at the entire wiring diagram to trace down possible electrical problems. Definitely check all of your fuses first.

You may or may not have this already, but here is another copy, just in case.
20181212_153554.jpg
20181212_153554.jpg (1000.63 KiB) Viewed 864 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150