Handlebar muffs potential dangerous?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

In my quest to get the scooter winter proof, I got a pair of these handlebar muffs: http://www.polo-motorrad.de/en/lenkerst ... 97331.html

Tried them yesterday and was scared by the fact that they compress the lever! Depending on how I move my hands and arms, the compression was quite significant. Did any of you put handlebar windbreakers on and whats your experience?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Handlebar muffs potential dangerous?

Post by gn2 »

Yes, many years ago I experimented with them and experienced what you found regarding braking.
Once I got them properly set up the brake wasn't affected.
These days I don't bother with them, instead I just use decent gloves.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Yes, many years ago I experimented with them and experienced what you found regarding braking.
Once I got them properly set up the brake wasn't affected.
These days I don't bother with them, instead I just use decent gloves.

I just use the car
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

On snow/ice risk days its the car for me too.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

I will sure use the car or walk on snow or ice, still it can get pretty cold even without both of them. Those muffs I got are pretty standard, can't really adjust them in any way I am afraid.
brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Post by brains_t »

djcat wrote:I will sure use the car or walk on snow or ice, still it can get pretty cold even without both of them. Those muffs I got are pretty standard, can't really adjust them in any way I am afraid.
You must be referring to the deadly wind chill days, usually Jan/Feb around London when it is too cold for snow and too dry for ice except where pipes have frozen and burst.
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

djcat wrote:In my quest to get the scooter winter proof, I got a pair of these handlebar muffs. Tried them yesterday and was scared by the fact that they compress the lever! Depending on how I move my hands and arms, the compression was quite significant. Did any of you put handlebar windbreakers on and whats your experience?
Just got a set (different manufacturer) in the mail today. Put them on, and they are a tight squeeze. Not sure I am going to keep them. Will give them a try tomorrow while riding to work.

Image Image
Image Image
V4 TRV
Regular User
Regular User

Post by V4 TRV »

If you get proper ones by Toucano Urbano there won't be any problems
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

V4 TRV wrote:If you get proper ones by Toucano Urbano there won't be any problems
Yeah, but the price on those is at least 5 times more than I paid for these ($15, including shipping). Considering I just laid out over $170 for my new seat, have to buy on a budget for the next few months. :(
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

I think I prefer the idea of using heated grips and winter gloves myself.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

V4 TRV wrote:If you get proper ones by Toucano Urbano there won't be any problems
i have those and have no problem with room for the levers. i also have heated grips and am must using uninsulated leather gloves so fra.

you could hack the end of the levers off or get some shorter levers if you are having a problem.
FritzPinguin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by FritzPinguin »

figurehead71 wrote:I think I prefer the idea of using heated grips and winter gloves myself.
Lowest temperature at night here is about 21 Centigrade, so no need to worry ;)

SCNR
Bike history: Germany: Staiger 50cc 2-stroke, BMW 250 (from 1952, my age), Honda Dax ST70, Honda CB 125 (Twin), Honda CB 750, Kawa Z400j
Thailand: Kawa Zephyr 400, Honda Wave 110 S, Kawa ZX130, PCX 150 (as far as I can remember)
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

FritzPinguin wrote:
figurehead71 wrote:I think I prefer the idea of using heated grips and winter gloves myself.
Lowest temperature at night here is about 21 Centigrade, so no need to worry ;)

SCNR
that must be nice. guess you dont have any tips on keeping comfortable for winter riding then...
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

I've had this problem too - though to be honest I've not fitted the muffs to my PCX yet, but I have fitted them to several bikes in the past. My workaround is as follows:-
Fit one of the muffs and where you would ideally like the muff to stay in place (WITHOUT conflicting with the brake lever) mark the outside edge of the muff where you can feel the middle/centre of the barend (where the bolt is). Remove the muff, and then carefully pierce the outer edge of the muff where you have marked it. Just a very small hole, big enough for the bar-end bolt to go through. Remove the bar-end bolt from the handlebars, and refit the muff carefully. Now thread the bar-end bolt through the hole in the muff and tighten.
In the past I have used a small washer between the bar-end bolt and the muff material (to keep it tidy). You may also find that the bar-end bolt is now too short to fit back through the muff and into the threaded nut inside the handlebar. In this case you will need a longer bolt. :) I've had to do this a couple of times but not sure if the PCX bolts are long enough.
I have used this method on several bikes over several years and it greatly improves the fit of the muffs. It means your brakes don't drag, and perhaps more importantly, your rear brake light doesn't keep coming on as the wind pushes against your brake lever.
Hope this might help!
Tom
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

tomtic: If this had a "like" feature like FB, I would like your response and thank you, too :-)

Thank you!
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I think that, safety put aside, I would invest in proper gloves or heated grips prior to fitting my bike with such a horrible looking thing.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

djcat wrote:tomtic: If this had a "like" feature like FB, I would like your response and thank you, too :-)

Thank you!

put a like in photobucket
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

After giving these things a try, I've decided that my good old pair of winter gloves are a much safer, and cheaper option for me.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

philvb wrote:After giving these things a try, I've decided that my good old pair of winter gloves are a much safer, and cheaper option for me.

And look less retardo :D
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

qed wrote:
philvb wrote:After giving these things a try, I've decided that my good old pair of winter gloves are a much safer, and cheaper option for me.

And look less retardo :D
You right. They look minging.