battery replacement interval

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Re: battery replacement interval

Post by Limey »

Snap 2018-05-20 at 18.48.24 (Small).png
Snap 2018-05-20 at 18.48.24 (Small).png (285.28 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Looking at the price of those on line (about $125) I just bought one of these on Amazon. For this price I can replace it more often if needed!
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

It was $95 on amazon last week when i ordered. I'm happy to pay for the peace of mind knowing i can reliably get 6 years out of it.

(Plus i had some add-on items so it had to be sold by amazon. That's how they get ya!) :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You might have got another six years out of the old one for free.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:You might have got another six years out of the old one for free.
x2
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Apparently neither one of you read the reason why i replaced it to begin with.

Also gn2 you never answered my question.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The question about replacing a battery?
I can't remember ever needing to change a battery on one of my own bikes/scooters.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Martin J
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Post by Martin J »

Batteries can last a long time if looked after. I still have the original battery on my 2004 ford Mondeo and it's still going strong, even through the bad winter we just had!
Yamaha 900 Diversion '96
Suzuki GS550E '81
Benelli TRK502 '21
Honda PCX 125 '18
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Not riding often? Long Winter? Job taking you elsewhere? Vacation time? Illness, etc stopping you from riding? Well then what can be done to keep her ready, willing and able to roll when...you....are?

Purchase and connect a Battery Tender to your battery to maintain her power :D Keep her up to snuff whilst she sits.
From my experience, Tender's have been a blessing. They do their job and stretch my batteries lifespan.
I've used them on my truck cycles n' scooters. I consider a BT a must have top of the list motorcycle item. Heh, it works, it's affordable, and I surely appreciate that!

I've got a tender on WN now (medical reasons), she turns over quicker than I just typed "quicker!"
BAM! Just Like That!.... I'm hummin' too :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

The other solution? Ride it like you stole it!
(Tee-hee, within the speed limits of course :D )
Ride, ride again, ride more. Repeat
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fast1075
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by fast1075 »

I just replaced mine. The 2013 stocker had had it. It lived on a battery tender when it wasn't being used. Charging system is in good condition. I'm not complaining. I think 5 years is acceptable.
The Fasterizer
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

My battery is 2 years old and has been working fine although it's only a cheap replacement. Been using the stop start recently and stopped for 5 minutes. Scooter wouldnt restart and i had to call the other half out with jump leads.

Going to look at adding a jump pack under the seat https://www.lextekproducts.com/JSBTTY001.php

And I am going to stop using the stop start! The original battery is probably up to the job but cheaper replacements don't seem to be. Bike is used daily and is on a tender at weekends.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Robbie wrote:My battery is 2 years old and has been working fine although it's only a cheap replacement. Been using the stop start recently and stopped for 5 minutes. Scooter wouldnt restart and i had to call the other half out with jump leads.
Going to look at adding a jump pack under the seat https://www.lextekproducts.com/JSBTTY001.php
And I am going to stop using the stop start! The original battery is probably up to the job but cheaper replacements don't seem to be. Bike is used daily and is on a tender at weekends.
You say your battery is (was) 2 years old and needed replacement after using idle-stop for lots of your journeys - the year quoted alongside your sig is 2011 - only 2014 models onwards had ECU idle-stop protection of the battery as before that the battery could be exhausted past minimum level for starting.
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

Yes Iceland. Thing was the bike was starting fine, then the next lights it was dead.

I knew there was no protection on 2011 models but figured it would give me a warning - maybe engine being slow to turn over. But nothing. Fine at one stop, dead at the next. Switched stop start off :D