Do you hit the corners hard? Go around turns fast?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Do you hit the corners hard? Go around turns fast?

Post by pattomike »

I worry about myself sometimes because I really like to hit the corners hard. I will come up to them fast, and then break, and then gun it again 1/2 to 3/4 through the turn. I have only had my Honda PCX about 2 weeks, and I think I should be more cautious. But I can't resist the fun. My only other previous scooter was a Genuine Buddy 150, and this is how I drove it, as well. It was even more tossable than my PCX because of the 10 inch wheels. I just wonder if it is odd for me to be driving like this, or if this is how all scooters riders ride. I don't have any scooter friends in real life so I have nothing to compare to.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: Do you hit the corners hard? Go around turns fast?

Post by alx123 »

Upgrade to a much better gripping tires.

Dont apply brakes mid in there, that's recipe for a skid.

Youre not alone, scoots are nimble and fun in bends. Enjoy and be careful.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

pattomike wrote:I worry about myself sometimes because I really like to hit the corners hard. I will come up to them fast, and then break, and then gun it again 1/2 to 3/4 through the turn. I have only had my Honda PCX about 2 weeks, and I think I should be more cautious. But I can't resist the fun. My only other previous scooter was a Genuine Buddy 150, and this is how I drove it, as well. It was even more tossable than my PCX because of the 10 inch wheels. I just wonder if it is odd for me to be driving like this, or if this is how all scooters riders ride. I don't have any scooter friends in real life so I have nothing to compare to.
I'm the same. Do you drag centre stand on corners? My pcx is 164 bbk so bit more excitement.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Yes, I like it too but you must find that point the C-stand drags the asphalt. It's the LEFT side you have to worry about and a turn that banks to the outside is when I put on a spark show. I'm right handed so I tend to get on it more in a left turn (safer) than getting cocky in a right turn. Do watch for road that banks to the outside because that closes the clearance on you quicker than you are ready for.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (84.38 KiB) Viewed 1828 times
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

alx123 wrote:Upgrade to a much better gripping tires.

Thanks, the tires slipping are my number one concern behind loose gravel. Can you recommend a better gripping tire?
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

lolofigo wrote:
pattomike wrote:I worry about myself sometimes because I really like to hit the corners hard. I will come up to them fast, and then break, and then gun it again 1/2 to 3/4 through the turn. I have only had my Honda PCX about 2 weeks, and I think I should be more cautious. But I can't resist the fun. My only other previous scooter was a Genuine Buddy 150, and this is how I drove it, as well. It was even more tossable than my PCX because of the 10 inch wheels. I just wonder if it is odd for me to be driving like this, or if this is how all scooters riders ride. I don't have any scooter friends in real life so I have nothing to compare to.
I'm the same. Do you drag centre stand on corners? My pcx is 164 bbk so bit more excitement.

I have not dragged the center stand yet. This, along with my tires slipping, is a big concern for me. I saw a video of a guy who was making a u-turn on a divided 4 lane highway, and his kick stand or center stand caught the pavement on a left handed turn. That could be disastrous.

What does 164 bbk mean? I have a white PCX so it is faster from the factory.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

No I don't do this. I started on small bikes and learned how to keep momentum.

I'm struggling with the concept of "hitting" corners "hard" and "gunning it" through the turns on a 9hp vehicle.

Have you thought of a career in MotoGP? I think they might shit themselves. :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pattomike wrote:
lolofigo wrote:

I have not dragged the center stand yet. This, along with my tires slipping, is a big concern for me. I saw a video of a guy who was making a u-turn on a divided 4 lane highway, and his kick stand or center stand caught the pavement on a left handed turn. That could be disastrous.

What does 164 bbk mean? I have a white PCX so it is faster from the factory.
If the center stand is going to be your next worry remove it rather than covering it with two layers of foam and a black pillow case....
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

you you wrote:
No I don't do this. I started on small bikes and learned how to keep momentum.

I'm struggling with the concept of "hitting" corners "hard" and "gunning it" through the turns on a 9hp vehicle.

Have you thought of a career in MotoGP? I think they might shit themselves. :roll:
why are you struggling with this concept? Is it too scary for you?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^OMGosh! 2yous :lol:

This > "Slow down, you move to fast.....
Ya wanna make the (Every) moment last
Just slowing down before all turns,
Ain't it Fun just Riding Safely? Dah, da, da dah, da, dah, da, Feeling Grooveeee" :D ugh!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

WhiteNoise wrote:^OMGosh! 2yous :lol:

This > "Slow down, you move to fast.....
Ya wanna make the (Every) moment last
Just slowing down before all turns,
Ain't it Fun just Riding Safely? Dah, da, da dah, da, dah, da, Feeling Grooveeee" :D ugh!
I will try it. Maybe it is fun riding safely. Not sure why i feel the need to go around turns fast. I would never do it on a motorcycle. Thanks.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I can personally recommend "NOT" using tyre shine on the tyres :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

pattomike wrote:

Thanks, the tires slipping are my number one concern behind loose gravel. Can you recommend a better gripping tire?
Feedbacks on Pirelli Diablo or Michellin Citygrip are great. Though I'm still usiNg my stock tires.

164bbk means big bore kit, upgraded to 164cc.

Tip: dont take youyou seriously LOL
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Patto,
Probably a good idea to start putting some $$ aside for the panels, bar ends, brake levers, mirrors, etc. you will be replacing.

Low siding will also remove some layers of skin; running wide will top side you into (or under) guard rails, trees, signs, parked cars, etc. Metal posts for road signs are real leg removers. (my buddy will tell you)

It seems that most single-vehicle scooter & motorcycle wrecks are caused by a mixture of speed and a bend in the road.

Nope, the best tires in the world won't save a rider going too fast for conditions into a corner.

If most of the enjoyment you get from scooter riding comes from attacking corners and testing your tire's adhesion repeatedly....you need to get off the road and onto a track that is set up for that kind of riding..

This is not a criticism - you're being honest with us about your riding habits - and here's one rider giving you some honest feedback. Plenty will take issue with me & side with you.

Fish
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

alx123 wrote:
pattomike wrote:

Feedbacks on Pirelli Diablo or Michellin Citygrip are great. Though I'm still usiNg my stock tires.

164bbk means big bore kit, upgraded to 164cc.

Tip: dont take youyou seriously LOL[/quote

Thanks for the bbk explaination. I didn't know there was such a thing. I am definitely going to get one, and cover it in foam. I don't take youyou seriously. He knows I own him.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pattomike wrote: He knows I own him.

:lol: :lol:
DanFromVegas
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by DanFromVegas »

Nothing to worry about here. If you aren't dragging parts you don't need better tires. When you do start dragging parts, try sliding your butt to the inside of the turn and leaning your body into the turn. When you are dragging a knee, Kenny Roberts style it may be time for a new scooter. If you are dragging an elbow, Marc Marquez style, consider a career in motorcycle racing.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Nothing to worry about here. If you aren't dragging parts you don't need better tires. When you do start dragging parts, try sliding your butt to the inside of the turn and leaning your body into the turn. When you are dragging a knee, Kenny Roberts style it may be time for a new scooter. If you are dragging an elbow, Marc Marquez style, consider a career in motorcycle racing.
Wow. . .I actually got to see Kenny Roberts race at Laconia back in the '70's. . .Gary Nixon was there also and a host of others. Miss those days. Rode up on my old Yamaha TX 650A. ;)

Anyhow, the older I get the more conservative I get with my riding. I haven't bottomed out the center stand on my new PCX yet and I know the IRC tires aren't the best but I ride within those limits and just try to live to enjoy another day of riding and retirement. That being said, one of these days I am going to try some emergency stops in an empty parking lot somewhere that won't draw a crowd get more of a feel of the PCX's limitations. 8)

On a side note I took my Genuine Roughhouse for a ride around town today and hit the horn instead of the directional signals on my first intersection. The PCX has the turn signals down low and the horn up higher, then the headlight low/high beam switch. On the Roughhouse, and my motorcycles, the the horn switch is down low and the turn signals are up higher, then the low/high headlight switch. It's like the PCX arrangement is ass-backwards. :o
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

DanFromVegas wrote:Nothing to worry about here. If you aren't dragging parts you don't need better tires. When you do start dragging parts, try sliding your butt to the inside of the turn and leaning your body into the turn. When you are dragging a knee, Kenny Roberts style it may be time for a new scooter. If you are dragging an elbow, Marc Marquez style, consider a career in motorcycle racing.
:D
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

somewhere on this PCX forum I was introduced to the idea of counter steering on corners. It was a totally alien concept to me. I never heard of it. I don't know if I am doing this counter steering technique around corners instinctively and automatically. I don't think I am. I was riding today and going fast around corners because that's how I roll and I was trying to sorta pay attention to my mechanics and the only thing I noticed was that on right hand turns, for example, I lean to the right, and applied DOWNWARD pressure on the right handlebar.