PCX Speedo inaccuracy

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

PCX Speedo inaccuracy

Post by alx123 »

For two days now I am using a GPS speedo app to check accuracy of the PCX.

Consistently, it seems that the stock PCX speedometer is 10% more optimistic than the actual speed.

It means that if I am running 110kph (68.3 mph), I am just actually running around 99 kph (61 mph).

I am using the app named DIGIHUD. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ihud&hl=en

Can anybody from Europe and US check if this inaccuracy is consistent? Your PCX there might be calibrated differently, since your'e using MPH instead of KPH.

I just learned that most ,if not almost all, motorcycles are calibrated this way. Which is quite puzzling to me.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: PCX Speedo inaccuracy

Post by Brent »

I have not found my speedometer to be off under 40 mph. I make it a habit to drive past known automatic radar stations to see what the station says my speed is vs. what the speedometer says I am going. My speedometer was on within one mile per hour at 25mph, 30mph, 40 mph, and 50mph. The speedometer is a dial gauge, and it is not possible to see the exact speed; but the two speeds were close enough for me to consider my speedometer accurate!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

What I have found is that the speedometer is off by up to 10% until I reach 45 mph. Then it is right on the money. There have been multiple threads on the accuracy of the speedometer and the consensus seems to be that the models sold in the United States are more accurate than in other countries. That may be so because of stricter requirements here. No motorcycle that I have ever owned has had a speedometer that was off.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Is this going to be like the lawn mower hp wars that ultimately ended in one maker getting busted for exaggerating the displacements with decals stating inaccurate information. They were simply putting 6hp decals on 4hp engines. I think Honda is careful not to state a top end speed for the scooters. Have we seen any advertizement or brochure claiming the max speed for our scooters? Any mention in the owners manual? Honda is quick to quote mpg regardless of rider weight and other conditions but top speed...? I don't recall seeing it but I could be wrong about that. My bike has oversized tires so my speedo is off for sure or I would go and do a comparison test with my app against the dash.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Hope someone with stock new pcx 2015-17 can do the same using the same app(DIGIHUD), just for comparison.

At 20kph im only 2kph(10%) faster so it is not that notiCeable. But as I go faster the 10% become so evident.

If you search online or in some forums, almost all bikes are complaining of inaccuracy. Cars they say are more accurate. Why would manufacturers do this is beyond me.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:If you search online or in some forums, almost all bikes are complaining of inaccuracy. Cars they say are more accurate. Why would manufacturers do this is beyond me.
They might be getting away with something like this for years. Could be a conspiracy :D Wasn't it Toyota that got burned recently for tampering with emissions but when they sold the cars here in the states our country ripped them a new one and I think they are still digging out of the penalties they owe the government. One thing you don't want to get caught at in today's political climate is ANYTHING they can fine you for concerning saftey or climate regulations. Honda should know better than to fudge the performance capabilities but they may see speedometer accuracy as a grey area.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

I've read it's actually a regulation (UN), but for what purpose I dont know.

I Might just cover my entire speedometer and regard it as useless and install a gps one. LOL
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

The Honda world bikes in the USA have speedos which are pretty much dead on. Most other markets get speedos which are intentionally high by 8% to appease the lawyers and insurance companies so that no rider can ever argue that they crashed because they were going faster than what the speedo displayed. It has been like this for decades all over the world. Silly game.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:The Honda world bikes in the USA have speedos which are pretty much dead on. Most other markets get speedos which are intentionally high by 8% to appease the lawyers and insurance companies so that no rider can ever argue that they crashed because they were going faster than what the speedo displayed. It has been like this for decades all over the world. Silly game.
HA! conspiracy :lol: I knew it
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Can I sue Honda telling them i know the speedo is inaacurate so I tried to run faster?

There are roads with miNimum speed required, and I migh tbe in trouble if my speedo is inaccurate.

SMH

Now, is someone kind enough to test their pcx using the same app to see if it consistent with all pcx or Mine is just factory defect? I might have good reason to go Honda and tell them to recalibrate my speedometer.
Scoot Commute
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Scoot Commute »

On my 2013 model i can say if anything is accurate it is that it always reads 10% below actual current speed
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

The speedometer is lying. Today, once again measured the speed, mileage, when traveling with a country house. For speed increases 10%, the mileage lowers to 5% o_O - very surprised. The speed was checked via GPS and odometer readings relative to the machine. Fuel consumption turned out to 2.2 l/100km as passport, was moving on the highway about 90km/h on the speedometer and about 70km/h in the city. Real consumption is measured by filling up to full tank and the flow rate coincides with the on-Board computer scooter.
Data for the month of June - consumption of city - 200km, the rest of route: 44,2 km/l or 2.26 l/100km
Image Image

And today's ride track and a little town: 45.2 km/l or of 2.21 l/100km
Image Image

At least the PCX150 is very stable which is good!
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

djbass wrote:The speedometer is lying. Today, once again measured the speed, mileage, when traveling with a country house. For speed increases 10%, the mileage lowers to 5% o_O - very surprised. The speed was checked via GPS and odometer readings relative to the machine. Fuel consumption turned out to 2.2 l/100km as passport, was moving on the highway about 90km/h on the speedometer and about 70km/h in the city. Real consumption is measured by filling up to full tank and the flow rate coincides with the on-Board computer scooter.
Data for the month of June - consumption of city - 200km, the rest of route: 44,2 km/l or 2.26 l/100km
Image Image

And today's ride track and a little town: 45.2 km/l or of 2.21 l/100km
Image Image

At least the PCX150 is very stable which is good!
thank you. So the 10% discrepancy is confirmed (in kms).

Hope someone in (mph) can do the test and give us the %.

I dont worry much about the fuel mileage, the pcx is very efficient for a 150cc.

Thanks again for the info.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

My USA 2103 PCX150 is 0% speedo error.
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

sendler2112 wrote:is 0% speedo error.
It is very good. Another would be the photo for emphasis :)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

sendler2112 wrote:My USA 2103 PCX150 is 0% speedo error.
gps test?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I've done it before but didn't shoot a video. It's dead on. And so was my CBR250R. All of my other USA bikes read fast. I haven't really checked the R3 yet.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

@sendler2112 Is your PCX 2013 stock? What is your top speed indicated by your speedometer?

I found a lot of non-US PCX top speed videos on Youtube, but couldn't find a US one. I found this textual statement for a PCX150 2013:
http://www.justgottascoot.com/hondapcx.htm wrote:Surprise, surprise, the Honda PCX 150 is very nearly spot on in speed and distance. The VAST majority of scooters we test are optimistic to the tune of 10% - 15%. Not so with the PCX, at an indicated 30 MPH the actual speed was..... 30 MPH. At 40 MPH indicated the actual speed was 39 MPH and at 50 MPH indicated the actual speed was 48 MPH. The Honda PCX 150 is ever so slightly optimistic. The odometer was right on with our actual test of 11 miles indicating 11 miles. The top speed I saw on the GPS was 63 MPH on a level surface.
My stock PCX150 2015 GPS top speed is 104kph with my speedometer indicating about 110kph. I took a video and will share here once processed and uploaded.
ImageImageImage
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by Lanesplitter »

sendler2112 wrote:My USA 2103 PCX150 is 0% speedo error.
Mine too, but it's not a 22nd century bike. ;-)

My V-strom is off (over states speed) by 5mph under 65mph and gets worse above. Odometer on it seems off by 5%, on the high side.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

raito wrote:@sendler2112 Is your PCX 2013 stock? What is your top speed indicated by your speedometer?
My PCX is no longer stock. I installed 11gm DrPully sliders and new OEM variator, face, and belt at 12,000 miles and now the top speed is 69 mph indicated at the rev limiter. Up from about 65 when it was new and 62 with a worn belt.