Buying used - Lilly needs advice please

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Buying used - Lilly needs advice please

Post by lillypinkjenny »

I apologise if this has been covered before (probably many times.)

I did do a forum search and could not find a specific topic on the subject.

What I am looking for is a quick guide to anything specifically PCX related when looking at buying a used one.

I am intending to look at a 2015 metallic grey PCX 125 with just under 3000 miles ( ie under 5000 km) on its clock. It has had one service at a Honda dealer, which I assumed to be the first one (500/600 miles?)

Generally I will be OK I am sure I have bought a number of used bikes. If there is anything specific to the PCX I should be looking for, I would appreciate some knowledgeable advice from owners.

Anything PCX-specific would be awesome.

Thanks! xxx :D
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Re: Buying used - Lilly needs advice please

Post by Smaug »

I bought my used 2013 PCX two days ago.

Mine has an issue with the cover for the compartment in the front of the underseat trunk. The screw/fastener doesn't work. This is what grants access to the battery, which you may want to take out and put on a trickle charger for the winter. Not a huge deal if yours is broken too, but something you might be able to negotiate them fixing or giving a discount.

Mine is missing the manual and tool kit. That's a hassle, but easily replaceable. (the OEM sparkplug socket is really needed if you'll do your own service, and the helmet loop will be handy, if your helmet has D-ring closures)

Rear tire on mine is about worn out at 7,000 miles, so you're probably good on tires, unless the previous owner was big or didn't keep them inflated properly.

Check that the brake levers are adjusted such that you can squeeze them without having to rotate your wrist either forward or backward.

Check the signals, lights.

If it doesn't have both OEM keys, will they order a spare for you? Because if you have a generic spare you're using, and someone locks the key cover while you're away from the bike, you're out of luck if you don't have the OEM key to unlock that cover again.

Check the brake lock to make sure it works.

Let me know if YOU find anything else I should keep an eye out for!
-Jeremy
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hi and Welcome to the forum. :D

Good luck with your next scooter purchase! ;)

Silver and Grey are two colors which don't exactly leap out of the crowd in traffic. . .especially in foggy conditions. :roll:

I would suggest you where bright colored (or Hi-Viz Reflective) riding gear. It will make you more noticeable to other drivers. . .although when it comes to people texting we are all on alert. o_O

It seems you've been riding for a while so maybe you already have something you can use. 8)

As far as something PCX specific, for a lot or people the seat comfort is an issue. After market seats are available. I'm Okay with the stock seat (2017) but a lot of folks aren't. The older ones with the hump can have seat covers installed if the hump is removed. On my side of the pond Cheeky Seats can be a good solution. https://scooterseatcovers.net/index.php ... r7qpot2351

The stock suspension is OK for me and I'm no lightweight :o . . .however there are aftermarket options for those who want more comfort.

Also ask yourself if you want to do your own maintenance work or pay a Honda dealer to do it. Do you want to spend a few hours (or possibly more) removing panels and body moldings to get to adjusting the valves? Plus you will need body panel removal tools and other stuff.

Just a few things to consider. . .. It's all about the ride isn't it? The PCX is absolutely great IMHO. :D
Last edited by PCX150Rider on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

lillypinkjenny wrote: Anything PCX-specific would be awesome. Thanks! xxx :D
No known mechanical issues with 15's or later models other than a recall on a top box mount. You should focus on the 15/16/17 PCX for the LED lights alone if I were you and ask about whether or not the part has been replaced on any used bike. No big deal if it hasn't, but be aware if you mount the extra luggage box and put a bowling ball there was a problem with it snapping off the hardware :lol:
Last edited by homie on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by eggman »

i wish mine had led i been colecting led flashlights 4 years
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

^^^ Some great pcx-specific advice in there, people. Thanks muchly. I have noted them all and some may be questions to the seller before I view the bike. He's gonna love me! :lol:

Metallic grey wasn't my first choice. It's the shade and appearance of wet roads.

I always wear a white helmet that keeps me visible but I will certainly be wary on a bike that blends in to the UK scenery so readily. :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

eggman wrote:i wish mine had led i been colecting led flashlights 4 years

Why?
pumps
Year: 2013

Post by pumps »

+1 on the white helmet. I only wear them and have received comments from my fellow riders on how easy I am to see. Also if you buy or own a different color bike your helmet is not bike color specific. My fashion marketing degree wife says white goes with everything!
My other rides are a 67 Honda CA160
1975 & 1979 Honda CT90 Trail 90s
2000 Kawasaki W650
In Kansas City , Missouri.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by Smaug »

+1 on doing something to stay visible. In the UK, they have the saying "SMIDSY" = "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You"

When I had my dark silver Burgman 400, I immediately bought one of those construction worker vests in the fluorescent yellow or orange. I wear a white helmet, which is un-interesting, but research shows it's the most visible of traditional colors. Not sure about the latest fluorescent colored ones; I don't think they were included in the study, but traditional yellow was.

We have something here called SOLAS tape. (Safety of Life At Sea) which is used on road signs and is super-reflective. I have a couple bits of that on the sides and back of my helmet, and might get another panel or two for the side of the scooter.

We're getting ahead of ourselves here though; you don't even have a bike yet. :)
-Jeremy
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Smaug wrote: We're getting ahead of ourselves here though; you don't even have a bike yet. :)
I have plenty of bikes, just not a PCX yet. 8)

That may change in the very near future.

I'll look up the SOLAS tape. Thanks.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Hi- Good choice for taking a led PCX, i've had a V1 and the led is is better in every aspect. I bought a S/H Led last year after mine was stolen.
If you have already bought S/H bikes you should know what to look for, However with just 5000 km that pcx has not been ridden a lot and should be as new.
Check for any tell tale sign that it has fallen, ( scratches just below the passager footpeg and front fairing side wise). Of course you need the two keys. watch closely the front disc, push manually the bike around with engine off/ spin the front wheel and check it's not rubbing otherwise it's warped- happened to me after a big emergency braking.

The problems that were there on V1 were ironed out on the led, so you don't need to worry about cracked center stand casing in crankcase etc. Battery should be fine, check how it starts. Ride it, check start and stop is working.

Good luck

PS, For some reason the 2014/2015 service intervals are longer than the 2017 or the previous esp. Oil change every 8000 km from memory, keep that shorter: 4000 km. i.e. do an oil change just after you buy it. it's really easy.
Best
Hax
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by Hax »

You won't be disappointed with the PCX. I have had lots of much bigger bikes and I love mine!
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

homie wrote:
No known mechanical issues with 15's or later models other than a recall on a top box mount. You should focus on the 15/16/17 PCX for the LED lights alone if I were you and ask about whether or not the part has been replaced on any used bike. No big deal if it hasn't, but be aware if you mount the extra luggage box and put a bowling ball there was a problem with it snapping off the hardware :lol:
Did they fix this with the 2018 model?
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Great advice again. I'll particularly note the oil change intervals and change it upon purchase.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Speaking of which , check the oil level with the dipstick before buying- it will speak volumes if previous owner was careful.
Dipstick is located just behind radiator, grey plactic . search forum here for pics.
Procedure is as follow : pcx on center stand and a flat surface , engine cold, idle it for 3-5 min,
shut engine off, unscrew disptick, swipe it clean, dip it without screwing it back , take out then read.

If unsure swipe again and dip again. ( it's simple but takes a bit of a habit) . If oil level is at minimum (or last mm ) i'd probably walk away. Means previous owner couldn't care less of the one single most important thing to keep engine healthy.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Greenmeenie wrote:
homie wrote:
Did they fix this with the 2018 model?
The "base plate" recall was out for my 2015 and maybe some 16 models IDK. But no 17/18 PCX's will have the POSSIBLE failing part. I got the recall but haven't heard of any 2016 models getting it but maybe someone here will correct me. I believe the recall originated with the re-engineered LED PCX which was a few 2014's and all 2015's for sure.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Has there been a baseplate failure posted on this site? I can't remember one.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:Has there been a baseplate failure posted on this site? I can't remember one.
All known incidents were reported in Japan.

Part numbers 08L71-K35-J00, 08L70-KZY-910, and 81200-KWN-780, are designed for the PCX150 but may be installed on PCX125 models as well. The recall affects 1,533 Honda Genuine Accessory top boxes in the U.S.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/04/11/m ... ox-mounts/

Pay no attention to the Canadians, they have this recall all screwed up claiming only 2103 models which makes no sense because I got one on a 2015 :roll:

http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/recal ... 4r-eng.php
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Postscript - I didn't buy that PCX. Personal events took over but I am back in the market now. Wish me luck.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Good luck! :D