Ignition Cover Not Staying Open

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Ignition Cover Not Staying Open

Post by mowzertron »

Had a few instances now when opening the ignition cover with the end of key, it just snaps back into the closed position. Normal operation you will feel a click and the cover locks in the open position so that you can then insert key to start bike.

However when I turn the cover there is no reassuring click and the mechanism just snaps it back closed when I pull key away. To get around this I have to keep a small flat-head screwdriver with bike; open the cover, keeping it in open position with screwdriver so that I can get the key in.

Is there any maintenance to fix this or is it simple to just remove the cover altogether? It doesn't do it every single time, but when it does passers by must think I'm trying to steal it with me hunched over the ignition barrel with a screwdriver.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Ignition Cover Not Staying Open

Post by homie »

mowzertron wrote:passers by must think I'm trying to steal it with me hunched over the ignition barrel with a screwdriver.
:lol: This issue has surfaced a couple times in here over the last couple years. I don't remember how they fixed it. I will search the archives and maybe find some answers.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

It's done that quite regularly to me on my new one when I've had it in "Lock" mode. When I put the security cover part of the key into ignition cover and turn right I move the handle bar a little bit and that seems to get the cover thing to hold open so I can pull it out and then insert the regular part of the key to unlock and turn it to the "off" position, or one more up to operate the seat or fuel release button. The newer PCX's have that spring loaded action on the security cover. I'm not professing this as a fix and if it's a real concern to you definitely have a dealer mechanic have a look at it and let us know how you made out.

The Service Manual shows in Chapter 21-21 about the installation of the switch but nothing about trouble shooting. It say's to install the key shutter while aligning the grooves of the ignition switch with the tabs on the key shutter. . .then install and tighten the socket bolt.

Since my PCX has less than 200 miles on it I'm still giving it time to break in all-around but I can tell you there is definitely spring action in that shutter gizmo. I think the Owners Manual has some reference about the operation of the ignition switch as well. . .but I can't reference right now because it's on the scooter. :geek:
DCP_1560a.jpg
DCP_1560a.jpg (277.85 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Duct tape?? It can fix anything! Ask any Southern mechanic. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well, that's a p.i.t.a.!! :|
Looking closer at parts, their numbers and (1 of several) places to order them :)

http://www.hondapcx.org/download/file.php?id=5932
See page 78 "Wire Harness"
F-41
H 1

See and Order Parts: Cheap Cycle Parts
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts ... re-harness

Oops! You're across the pond, the online store I provided ^^ is in the U.S.
Can someone provide a link for parts closer to mowzertron? Thanks!!

Also do a search on: ignition.
Hope some of this helps
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

Cheers PCX150Rider. Might give the steering a wiggle next time it happens, see if that helps. I would estimate it happens about once a fortnight, so not major enough for me to consider replacing.

In the meantime I just sprayed some GT85 in there to loosen it up and work any grit/debris out.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks! See if holding the handlebar to the left (as far as it will go) when you lock it and then again when you try to use the shutter key to unlock it if it helps. I did it that way earlier today and it worked fine for me. There does seem to be a sweet spot where that shutter catches and stays open. I'm still trying to get more proficient using the shutter key in the dark. ;)