Dealing with Wind My First Time Out

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Dealing with Wind My First Time Out

Post by Rick54 »

I finally took my motorcycle safety class in order to get my cycle endorsement on my license, insurance, and plated. So I've been riding my local country roads around home here for practice. All is going well, except when I get the PCX up to 50, I seem to feel a lot of cross wind. Presently our wind is about 8 miles per hour, and when I encounter the periodic wind gusts, I get a little shake. As a first time bike rider, this shake isn't going to be my favorite part of riding! The posted speed on my blacktop highway is 55 mph, which I was hoping to at least maintain 50 so as not to have everyone behind me pissed off. Especially if I'm in a no passing zone where nobody can pass me. At the moment, 40 mph is a nice comfort zone, but I don't see that as my highway speed. Any suggestions for a first timer?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Dealing with Wind My First Time Out

Post by homie »

You get used to it, more challenging than other bikes?... perhaps. But bigger, heavier bikes go faster and that's a whole other level of risk.
I can't ever recall being blown out of my lane and I live in the windy city but I could see how it would be a little unnerving at first. Bugs, rocks, slippery surfaces, cager's all part of the freedom and open air experience. I think after a little while you'll feel like most of us that it's worth it.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Consider the PCX as a step off into the wonderful world of motorbikes. Get comfortable, plan a bigger bike in the future but don't sell the little Honda because you will miss it for the not so windy days. Maybe a clutch bike is in your future, something to tinker with but I find I put more miles on the scooter each year than sport bike. Be safe enjoy.
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

What do you weight. I am 200 + so it is no big deal, but I have been riding for 46 years.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Being new to riding motorcycle/scooters the wind can feel scary. The trick to riding in the wind is to let the bike counter-steer into the wind. For example if the wind is coming from the left then it should feel like taking a fast left hand turn. I have ridden other scooters and motorcycles and speeds higher than 50 mph aren't that comfortable, the wind really beats you up. For speeds higher than 50 mph I recommend a windshield. I do find my PCX stable in turbulent wind, like behind tractor trailers. I also don't have to counter steer into the wind as much as I had too on my Honda Helix, that scoot was very sensitive. One thing that I don't like about wind is that it will slow me down when i'm at the max speed of the scoot. The limited power of my PCX, when doing HW speeds, can be discouraging. That's why I stick to side roads when possible and specially when it's windy. Also don't feel like you are not up too snuff because of the winds at high speed. It took me a year to ride the 65mph highways when I got my riding permit. Stick to side roads and enjoy the ride. :)
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

You could also look to do some drive train mods to your scoot. They will allow you to gear the engine so that it's RPM will be at its peak power when riding at highway speeds. Right now the engine will be at a RPM past the peak power of the engine when at top speed. This won't fix everything as a 15mph headwind will still slow you down by that much.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
mowzertron
Year: 2014
Color: Brown

Post by mowzertron »

1) Lane positioning, if you have a cross wind from the left you might want to move over to that side, just in case a gust knocks you sideways a little.
2) Be aware of your surroundings - if you see a break between buildings or if you are passing a large vehicle, be prepared for a gust of wind.
3) Practice. It gets better with time.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and I have 2013 models, but the problem was the same when we bought ours. One of the things I did was buy a tall windshield for each of the bikes. I also bought custom seats which put us lower. The newer bikes have the lower seats, so you are better off than we were. I also replaced the shocks, which made a lot of difference in my comfort.
Between all of that, the bikes ride nicely and handle the wind much better. No, they can't eliminate the wind all together, and being light bikes there is no way to NOT feel the wind some, but they ride through the wind much better now.

The larger and heavier the bike, the less the wind will affect you. However, the larger the bike, the less agile it is, which is the big advantage of the PCX, especially in the city. If you want to ride in the country, take the back roads, most of which have speed limits between 45 and 55 mph. That is the sweet spot for the PCX.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

2) Be aware of your surroundings - if you see a break between buildings or if you are passing a large vehicle, be prepared for a gust of wind.
Passing or being passed by a large truck or vehicle does get your attention. . .. You get pushed away as the cab makes an invisible turbulent wave of air bursting forward and then pulled into the vacuum as the box trailer hurries past your shoulder. Or, pulling out of the draft to pass the truck and suddenly running into a wall of resistance hoping the sling shot effect lasts a little longer. . .straining WOT. . . egging on the scooter to try harder. o_O

I don't think too many people think about the break between buildings in cities though. Good point!

The flow gets compressed going through the alleys and streets. I don't get into cities much on my rides but the few times I did I remember that. . .and bridges also. Lane positioning can save your life. 8)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I hear what you are saying. I had never ridden a motorbike before I got my PCX. My suggestion is that you find slower roads to ride on until you get more comfortable being on the bike. You are not just battling the wind, but your own inexperience is not working for you either. One you can control (get more experience), the other one you can't.

Keep it safe, and happy riding. It really is a fun bike.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

In addition to my opening statement, I'm 5' 9" and #210. As for a windshield, I had the full tall Honda windshield installed at purchase. I'm sure it's just a feeling I'm not accustomed to experiencing yet. Since none of you folks have mentioned of being blown off the road, I'll give it some more practice time. As for the highway driving, I try to do that on off hours like 10 a.m. were the work traffic has already come and gone. Thanks for your insight.
DesertPCX
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by DesertPCX »

Just ride more and get the experience you need to feel comfortable. You'll be fine in a month or two.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Rick54 wrote: I had the full tall Honda windshield installed at purchase.
OH DA! you have a sail up! I have no experience with sails, ignore everything I said, you're one of the many sailors we have in here, not a subscriber ... Hoist the yard arm matey!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The tall windshield definitely affects handling in a windy environment. I don't think the PCX is a good choice for super highways although it is rated for that. The tall windshield is really nice for comfort but you have to stay a bit more focused as others stated especially in open fields , between buildings etc where a gust comes from nowhere. it will surprise the hell out of you. A crosswind can push you so be prepared for that always.What I do is look for a flag and see which way the wind is blowing and make a mental note but always expect the unexpected. A headwind and hills can really affect your speed with the 150 so make note as well.Go into hills maxing the throttle and don't baby it , you will need all its got in many cases.Its a fun bike , but like others said its best at 45 mph.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Rick and welcome aboard! Yeah things can get rather "pushy" out there on the road and yes it gets a bit unnerving. You get tense right? Well, I'm not a fan (still). But whatcha gonna do? Hmm, let's see.

Here's a simple plan. I know it seems opposite of what you're feeling at that very moment, but try to: Relax, feet flat of boards. Don't grab the bars for dear life, loosen yer hands a bit. Let your shoulders drop and by gosh breathe as normal. Focus on where you're going (not down) while always scanning, trying to keep your space as safe as you can. Is that gust coming From the left? Then Stay in the left lane. From the right? Stay in the right lane.
I have found myself ducking down (tucking) when the gust hits me straight on, I find that works somewhat. My screen is the stock screen so there's not much to hide behind, but my tries are to "get out if the path" of wind by streamlining my body a "wee" bit. (Losing some weight would help me tuck some too :lol: )

We all find our means of dealing with the blows, and You will too. The more you ride, the more confidence you will build. It goes hand in hand...ain't that great?! Learn to ride, take your time, practice more in areas that you're familar with where the pace is comfortable.

I'm going to suggest you buy and Read this very well written and popular Motorcyclist Book. It's written by David L. Hough:
https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motor ... motorcycle

There's always a deal to be found. Buy it anywhere, it's a great book for Every Rider to read!

Just remember, if your gut tells you you're Not up to riding on a particular day, listen. But don't let it get into a habit, else you won't be riding at all :(

--->>> Now get on that Scoot and get yerself some confidence! Happy Trails to Ya! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You