PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

thebeast
Year: 2014
Color: White

Re: PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

Post by thebeast »

You know what's spring: https://www.google.com/search?q=spring& ... tal+spring

Ok, now, there is one for combined break, located above steering...that's what then changed in may case...And it works for now ;)
thebeast

Post by thebeast »

I mean below steering...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

thebeast wrote:You know what's spring: https://www.google.com/search?q=spring& ... tal+spring

Ok, now, there is one for combined break, located above steering...that's what then changed in may case...And it works for now ;)

Brake
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

Post by jojo87 »

Anyone else know more about this combined brake system spring below the steering?
any photos or part numbers etc etc?
gmlawrence
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by gmlawrence »

I believe I know where "thebeast" is speakign of.
If you look at the attached photo, part number 15 is the spring that was tweeked. I don't know if this is the source, but he believes it is.
I believe that it could be the spring, or a component associated with the combo break assembly.
If you look up from the front tire, you can see the combo break assembly way up in the top near where the break cables enter the plastic body.
Does anyone else have success with this?
Attachments
ho0311014051.gif
ho0311014051.gif (29.61 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

I think mine is coming from the front, it sounds more from the front anyway..... but with mine it starts when the throttle is pulled, so could this spring still be the thing causing it?
and as im riding, as my rides are usually over an hour non stop, it goes from just when the throttle is pulled to kind of more constant.
cabbage555

Post by cabbage555 »

I've been monitoring this thread for a while because I was having the same problem on my 2014 PCX and thought I'd share my findings after hopefully fixing it.
Whenever I accelerated the rattle started, if I held the throttle open the noise was constant and when I closed the throttle, the noise stopped. For me, it sounded like every time the clutch was under any kind of load, the rattle was there. The Honda dealer said it was normal but I've had loads of scooters in the past and none have made this sound. The sound wasn't mechanical - more like something loose or broken. It didn't effect the ride except the racket really irritated me.
In the end I went down the root of looking at the clutch bearings, and ordered a new face set driven, 23205-K35-V00 (part 8 in the diagrams).
Was an expensive gamble but it appears to have paid off - I changed the part at the weekend and the rattle has gone. Honda should have replaced this under warranty as the bike is only a year old but they're useless in my opinion.
Hopefully it will hold out. Looking at the old part, the bearings look fine but they don't have any grease on them and there is slight play in one of them.

Cheers
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Hmmmm sounds like what happens to me but I was pretty sure mine was coming from the front, obviously not 100% about it though,
i've emailed the Dealers that had my Bike before but they haven't replied... they're REALLY useless it p's be off big time,
the fact I emailed the Dealer I bought it off about a replacement and they said that Thunder Road told them the Bikes running as it should,
which was a lie, as it isn't, so due to them saying that, the Dealer I bought it from wont go through a replacement....
i'm happy to get a part changed, considering Thunder Road already replaced the Crankshaft (for whatever reason as it did nothing),
they also sent the Bike back missing a washer and bolt from near the Fuel Lid, also a small scratch on the side,
plus since having it back my rear brake is playing up to the point where when I pull the brake, I have to flick the lever back up with my fingers,
otherwise the brake light stays on, this was all fine before they had it........
fact they had it for 5 weeks replace crankshafts etc and told me 'when you get it back it'll sound like a new Bike',
but yeah... it sounded exactly the same as getting worse, idiots!
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Can you direct me to a website where I can buy the part you replaced, i'm in the UK so a UK website/company if possible.
cabbage555

Post by cabbage555 »

They were out of stock in the UK (none available until Oct) and the US websites stocked them but the shipping was extortionate, so managed to source one from Ebay from a seller based in Thailand called 'Carbootloot'. I had bought a brake lever from him which was cheap and a genuine Honda part so I asked whether he could get me the clutch face driven - he looked into it and after a few days came back saying he could and it would be £75 inc pp. Part took a few weeks to arrive but was sealed and appeared to be a Honda part.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

US sites offer this for $32-40 + p/p (two sites seem to be exactly the same but trading under two different companies), whereas in europe the price quoted without p/p was 132 euro (about £106!) < rip off as usual.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Found the one from eBay for £74.99 from Thailand
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-NEW-PCX ... 2ca0c91afd

Also on bike-parts-honda for £108.48 (not sure if vat and postage is included in that or not)
http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... ITION.html

Cant seem to find it anywhere else, unless contacting Honda directly, which I was going to do, as again, it's under warranty, and i've had this issue from the start and it's getting worse, they already know the Bikes been to the Dealers etc, so if I email Honda directly and tell them that the Dealers aren't getting back to me etc... would be good if Honda could just ship the part to me and I could pay another Bike Garage to put it on!! so annoyed at the moment, the fact a Honda Dealers have no clue about it and told me it's normal and running as it should, when it isn't, you shouldn't be able hear a loud rattle like noise when the throttle is pulled and hear it over the engine/exhaust/wind etc, the fact I put the new LeoVince Exhaust on as well to try and muffle out the rattle... it hasn't worked!
syahrul37
Year: 2015

Post by syahrul37 »

Any updates on this issue?Has the problem been solved?
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Hey,

I can't actually remember :-/ I bought a Honda MSX in October, and told the PCX not all that long ago, but I honestly can't remember if it was sorted or not.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gmlawrence wrote:I believe I know where "thebeast" is speakign of.
If you look at the attached photo, part number 15 is the spring that was tweeked. I don't know if this is the source, but he believes it is.
I believe that it could be the spring, or a component associated with the combo break assembly.
If you look up from the front tire, you can see the combo break assembly way up in the top near where the break cables enter the plastic body.
Does anyone else have success with this?

Brake
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I bet the buzzing is a simple fix.. Did anyone ever try running the bike with the variator cover off to see if the harmonics change at all. Anyone ever stethoscope the engine/transmission and all around for sound comparisons or check the timing chain tensioner for mis alignment or looseness. How about replacing the drive belt/rollers to see if harmonics change . Don't think this was handled correctly by dealer(s) in question here.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:I bet the buzzing is a simple fix.. Did anyone ever try running the bike with the variator cover off to see if the harmonics change at all. Anyone ever stethoscope the engine/transmission and all around for sound comparisons or check the timing chain tensioner for mis alignment or looseness. How about replacing the drive belt/rollers to see if harmonics change . Don't think this was handled correctly by dealer(s) in question here.

Where to start really..
KonyaB
Year: 2015 PCX 125
Color: Black

Post by KonyaB »

Hello Everyone,

I think this topic will have a longer life than just this, as my PCX is buzzing/rattling aswell. To be honest first i thought it's just only me being so unlucky, but in a way i'm glad it's a common problem.

My rattling is definitely coming from under me, from either the engine compartment or the clutch, i'm not so sure. It's exactly the sound that has been shared with us on page 3 (i believe it was that page). I haven't contacted the dealer, but after this i definitely will.

Don't get me wrong, it's nothing too serious, the bike works as it should, but if you hear this noise you can tell it's not supposed to be there in a 2015 made engine.

Has anyone else got this problem fixed? I'm no expert (yet :P ) in engines, but i'm sure it's not in the front. It sounds like something's loosen or something.

I will contact my dealer, i still have 2 years of warranty, i EXPECT THEM to fix this. I will also try to do the best i can with Honda, eventhough there's little chance they'll get back to me, but they must have known about this already.

Cheers,
Ben
Currently owns: 2015 Honda PCX 125 & 2006 Yamaha YBR 125
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

you you wrote:
easyrider wrote:I bet the buzzing is a simple fix.. Did anyone ever try running the bike with the variator cover off to see if the harmonics change at all. Anyone ever stethoscope the engine/transmission and all around for sound comparisons or check the timing chain tensioner for mis alignment or looseness. How about replacing the drive belt/rollers to see if harmonics change . Don't think this was handled correctly by dealer(s) in question here.

Where to start really..
If it were me I would start at the variator and remove the cover. Listen and look for any unusual changes in pitch or harmonics and look for any abnormal oscillations in the belt. I might change out the belt just to see if there any sound differences . I would check the face plates and clutch for cleanliness oil or grease or any noticeable defects. I would clean the variator and remove the rollers ..Prob. replace them and look for changes in sound. I would also use a stethoscope while the engine is on the stand and carefully listen for the rattle .. May be there still but you just cant hear it at idle or on unloaded revs...The stethoscope may pick it up and go where it tells you. I would run it without the variator cover with a microphone/recorder attached to the transmission and another microphone attached to the motor and once again go where the forensics takes me. It could
be the timing chain and the tensioner not seated properly or weak. I would replace that tensioner and check chain stretch and end play for abnormalities. Since I have been reading about this it "sounds" like this rattling is rather a common occurrence , it just might be the nature of the beast for some bikes and no amount of probing will solve the issue.. but that's where I would start .
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I'm guessing that this a common issue on the PCX and I am betting its the rollers. When in float condition I think the rollers tend to vibrate, or relax as opposed when on accel or decel they tend to work and are under a load. It would be interesting to see if anyone has that buzzing / rattle sound with rollers other than HONDA . I bet that if changed to Sliders that noise would change or disappear completely. Curious to hear from anyone with sliders that have that noise ??