PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Andreapcx
Year: 2016
Color: matt grey

Re: PCX125 buzzing sound, very annoying

Post by Andreapcx »

thebeast wrote:FINALY!

It seams that I solved this stupid buzzing.

Since my bike is still under warranty, I left it in Honda service until they solve this.
As they told me, they changed some spring of brake under steering.
For now it's OK, I'm driving 3 days from service. We will see.
Did this fix remove the buzzing?? As i have a buzzing sound on my new pcx
mhrunge
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by mhrunge »

"Hello,

My 2015 PCX 150 with 100 miles has this same sound. I've noticed it is coming from the right rear wheel area at speeds of 20-30 mph during acceleration only. One interesting thing I found is that it only happens when I have a passenger on back. I rode it several times this past weekend both by myself and also with a passenger. It would only happen with the added weight of a passenger. The scooter runs great and I'm debating on taking it to the dealer. Waiting to hear if others have figured out if it is really a problem or just a normal noise.

Thanks,
Steve"

This is exactly the same issue I have as well, therefore me thinks it is suspension related and/or the linkages where the motor is attached to the frame. The added weight would definitely have an effect on the dynamics and as one poster mentioned the read shocks do not have any rubber grommets to keep these from making this noise. Will take the bike apart and add some rubber insulation to the bolts holding the shocks onto the frame.
mhrunge
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by mhrunge »

Mysanity wrote:
KonyaB wrote:Hello Everyone,

I think this topic will have a longer life than just this, as my PCX is buzzing/rattling aswell. To be honest first i thought it's just only me being so unlucky, but in a way i'm glad it's a common problem.

My rattling is definitely coming from under me, from either the engine compartment or the clutch, i'm not so sure. It's exactly the sound that has been shared with us on page 3 (i believe it was that page). I haven't contacted the dealer, but after this i definitely will.

Don't get me wrong, it's nothing too serious, the bike works as it should, but if you hear this noise you can tell it's not supposed to be there in a 2015 made engine.

Has anyone else got this problem fixed? I'm no expert (yet :P ) in engines, but i'm sure it's not in the front. It sounds like something's loosen or something.

I will contact my dealer, i still have 2 years of warranty, i EXPECT THEM to fix this. I will also try to do the best i can with Honda, eventhough there's little chance they'll get back to me, but they must have known about this already.

Cheers,
Ben

Hello,

My 2015 PCX 150 with 100 miles has this same sound. I've noticed it is coming from the right rear wheel area at speeds of 20-30 mph during acceleration only. One interesting thing I found is that it only happens when I have a passenger on back. I rode it several times this past weekend both by myself and also with a passenger. It would only happen with the added weight of a passenger. The scooter runs great and I'm debating on taking it to the dealer. Waiting to hear if others have figured out if it is really a problem or just a normal noise.

Thanks,
Steve

This is exactly the same issue I have as well, therefore me thinks it is suspension related and/or the linkages where the motor is attached to the frame. The added weight would definitely have an effect on the dynamics and as one poster mentioned the rear shocks do not have any rubber grommets to keep these from making this noise. Will take the bike apart and add some rubber insulation to the bolts holding the shocks onto the frame.
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

On mine the ticking noise is coming from up front underneath the chrome steering bezel. I only hear this noise when driving over a small hump or bump at different speeds and even with the engine off. I dissambled the front caliper, instrument cluster, dash compartment, screen and the noise is still there. I have also checked the cables for any rubbing but all seems okay. The front fork is intact and no slack when tested on the centre stack with a person tilting the bike on the rear wheel. Anybody had the same experience??? Maybe a miraculous fix
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Andreapcx wrote:On mine the ticking noise is coming from up front underneath the chrome steering bezel. I only hear this noise when driving over a small hump or bump at different speeds and even with the engine off. I dissambled the front caliper, instrument cluster, dash compartment, screen and the noise is still there. I have also checked the cables for any rubbing but all seems okay. The front fork is intact and no slack when tested on the centre stack with a person tilting the bike on the rear wheel. Anybody had the same experience??? Maybe a miraculous fix
Mine does it too. I suspect it's cables or wiring loom vibrating against something?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

chicaboo wrote:
Andreapcx wrote:On mine the ticking noise is coming from up front underneath the chrome steering bezel. I only hear this noise when driving over a small hump or bump at different speeds and even with the engine off. I dissambled the front caliper, instrument cluster, dash compartment, screen and the noise is still there. I have also checked the cables for any rubbing but all seems okay. The front fork is intact and no slack when tested on the centre stack with a person tilting the bike on the rear wheel. Anybody had the same experience??? Maybe a miraculous fix
Mine does it too. I suspect it's cables or wiring loom vibrating against something?
chicaboo wrote:+ Annoying RPM specific vibration from the front
Check my other topic in technical help. Had the same vibration on both on the '13 and '15, and found something what could easily be that and eliminated it. I'm positive that one of the noise sources was coming from this protective plate in front of the CBS box (no, 14 on the schematics). First I suspected the spring (no. 15.) but should it had been the one - the noise should change or disappear by applying the brakes - which is not the case. The plate has only one bolt on the bottom, and the top is fixed with a hook - enabling the whole plate to resonate with the engine RPM. Plus it has a reasonably large surface so the resonation gives out a fairly strong sound. I confirmed it by tapping, knocking everything in the front of the bike.
No proof so far, as I'm not able to ride at the moment (as a matter of fact not even walking without crutches for some time yet) and the '15 scoot is still scattered in boxes and crates in the garage and some parts are in transit from Thailand to finish.
Attachments
F_5_10.jpg
F_5_10.jpg (51.49 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Thanks Mr Bun.

When I install my meter panels and screen I'll smother it with rubber in the hopes it remedies the vibration.
So, do you think the plate is vibrating against something, or just acting like a passive speaker from resonance?
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

Hi guys i removed the combined braking system plate, but the thicking noise is still there. Basically to locate this annoying noise i have to dismantle the whole plastic body panels. This would be a nightmare and i really dont want to deal with it especially with a new bike just only hsving 450km. I have told the dealer about this issue and they are going to check it when i service the bike on 1000km. I hope that they can locate this annoying noise and fix it. I will keep you posted about this !!
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Can you just remove this plate without ill effect? Is it just a shield to protect the CBS cylinder?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Andreapcx wrote:Hi guys i removed the combined braking system plate, but the thicking noise is still there. Basically to locate this annoying noise i have to dismantle the whole plastic body panels. This would be a nightmare and i really dont want to deal with it especially with a new bike just only hsving 450km. I have told the dealer about this issue and they are going to check it when i service the bike on 1000km. I hope that they can locate this annoying noise and fix it. I will keep you posted about this !!
Sorry - it might be a misunderstanding. The CBS plate is suspected to be a source of RPM related vibrating noise - not the ticking.
As a matter of fact I remember I also had some noise from the front riding on bumpy surfaces. I found my front wheel bearing a bit loose (already after about 2,5k kms) and adjusted it - but the noise was there. I'd possibly describe mine as clunking - rather than ticking though. I did not paid attention to it lately - but now I recognised that I can't remember hearing it since I have disabled the CBS and changed the front brake cable to a braided one.

Your source of noise could be totally unrelated though.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

chicaboo wrote:Can you just remove this plate without ill effect? Is it just a shield to protect the CBS cylinder?
On the long term possibly does. This guys protects the whole cbs assembly from dust, water, salt etc. I believe the hydraulic stuff should be OK, as in large bikes the rear MC is exposed to elements - but cam driven suspended open end bowdens most probably don't like water and stuff.
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

May i know how u can disable the cbs system? And did you set the front and rear separately from each other?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Andreapcx wrote:May i know how u can disable the cbs system? And did you set the front and rear separately from each other?
First the disclaimer part, so I told you.
Without debating whether the CBS is good or bad, brakes are very important safety features of bikes. The CBS is designed to help riders in proper braking technique and one not supposed to tamper with unless the parson is a qualified person. Also your insurance company might bust you finding you have disabled such a feature.

The way to adjust the CBS is with the adjustment screw marked with red on the picture. It is locked with a nut and has a internal hex slot. If adjusted fully in, it will disable the movement of the cam (marked blue) thus completely eliminate operation of the central piston on the front brake caliper. Voila, rear brake operates only the rear brake, front only the front...
Attachments
cbs.jpg
cbs.jpg (54.51 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
syahrul37
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by syahrul37 »

Should be the cam chain tensioner. It's the culprit. :D
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Its notba tensioner, ut it is limiting the steoke of the cam/arm what is actuating the master cylinder for the single pot on the front caliper. The tensioner is the spring around it what is surely could resonate, but when I hanr tested those components only the plate was sounding.
syahrul37

Post by syahrul37 »

What I mean is this part. Located at the engine bay.
Attachments
Parts Catalog Honda PCX150 NEW - 2ND EDITION22-01.jpg
Parts Catalog Honda PCX150 NEW - 2ND EDITION22-01.jpg (75.74 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

syahrul37 wrote:What I mean is this part. Located at the engine bay.
Ahh this makes some sense. So you think that the tensioner makes this sound even though it seems that the sound comes from the front side? If so can it be adjusted some how?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Masters of misunderstanding... LOL.

Andrea - the cam chain tensioner does not make a noise. In fact it is there that the cam chain could not make a noise. And it is not adjustable either.
Andreapcx

Post by Andreapcx »

Lol so why syahurl37 said it is the culprit? I thought that he was referring to the noise.
syahrul37

Post by syahrul37 »

So do you guys solve the problem by repairing the CBS?